A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: buttons in movie clips... but not what you'd expect!

alright, here's the deal: I have a 3 movie clips in a movie clip. Each of the individual clips are a button on a motion guide spinning in a circle so that all three spin in time. I want those buttons to link to specfic frames in the main scene (this is all in one scene...). The problemn is that when you click on the button, it just restarts the motion clip at frame one. It doesn't seem to matter whether they are linked to a specfic frame number or even a frame lable... I even made it so that the entire tween was a series of keyframes -- still no luck!

And here's the kicker: each of these buttons has a 'onrollover' and 'onrolloff' command linked to a with action in the main frame that works fine! So why won't the buttons work??

Please help...

DS

hm i'm not sure what u're saying here ..
    so you have a parent movie clip, with has 3 child clips. each of these child clips have an animated button in it?

could you also please explain your problem a bit more? you're saying the "onRollOver" commands work, but the buttons don't?!

Originally posted by 56k
    hm i'm not sure what u're saying here ..
    so you have a parent movie clip, with has 3 child clips. each of these child clips have an animated button in it?

could you also please explain your problem a bit more? you're saying the "onRollOver" commands work, but the buttons don't?!
    Yea, you've got it down pat...

What it is is three buttons in the middle of the stage and I wanted them to rotate in a circle in time. So I made 3 childs which are in one parent for placement purposes, and then put that on the stage.

Simple, right?

The buttons should still work, I'm not changing scenes or anyhing, and in part they do. But they still won't go to the frame I want.

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but the part that does work is a 'with' command. onrollover they play a frame in a movie clip on the main stage, and roll off goes
    to a different frame in that same clip.

But when you click on the button, it seems to reset the child instead of sending you elsewhere. The animation just goes back to frame one of the clip and starts spinning agian. And whether or not I use frame lables or numbers, it doesn't seem to make a difference!

Very strange!

Hi.......you didn't say what the code was on your button.......but try this:

put a label on the frame you want to go to and then this action on your button:

on (release) {
    _root.gotoAndStop("yourLabel");
    }

Hope this helps....

-pigghost-

Originally posted by pigghost
    Hi.......you didn't say what the code was on your button.......but try this:

put a label on the frame you want to go to and then this action on your button:

on (release) {
    _root.gotoAndStop("yourLabel");
    }

Hope this helps....

-pigghost-

Thanks for replying... that sort of helped. Although it's still not going to the correct frame, at least the child isn't randomly restarting itself now. All it does now is stop in position one of the child clip. But still no movement to the correct frame!

As for the placement of the code, it's set on the button in the child clip. So, I have the parent, then the child with a button as an instance in it and the code is set for that instance... That was the only place I can put the code, isn't it? Especially if I want it to setill work as it rotates... Let me know?

Thanks... DS

Hmmmmmm......I thought that would work......guess I'd almost have to see your .fla to tell you for sure...........if you want, send it and I'll take a look........maybe I can figure it out.

pigghost@hotgreen3.com

-pigghost-

email... sorry!

Originally posted by pigghost
    Hmmmmmm......I thought that would work......guess I'd almost have to see your .fla to tell you for sure...........if you want, send it and I'll take a look........maybe I can figure it out.

pigghost@hotgreen3.com

-pigghost-
    Sorry... The whole e-mail thing is a no go... I spent about 30 min trying to get hotmail to upload the small version I made of the fla and it then informed me that 2 megs was too much. That was only the movie and three other frames... I guess that's out, but if you have any other suggestions, let me know...

DS

PS: Winzip took it from a 1.98 mg file to a 1.93 file, so that's out of the question!