A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CACHED OR NOT??

I have an SWF file that loads multiple movies into different levels. The different movies share the same background elements. Will these have to load each time as I navigate from one level to another, or will they be cached.

Also, how can I check as the bandwith prifiler only gives me a profile for the movie I start out in?

Helppppppp????

does each seperate movie have its own preloader? i don't think the bg images will be cached because each movie is independant from the rest.

what i would do is try it out with show streaming. give each movie its own preloader as well. in case you haven't already.

hth

Using Flash5 putting the background elements into a shared library should do it (?).
    Haven´t done so far, but it is described in the Flash5 Manuals.

Markus

I don't think they will have to reload. I have read posts by mano1 that indicate they do ( I would trust his opinion a lot more than mine). He may have even done a Flash 4 tutorial for FK?

With Netscape you can view the cache and easily tell how many times they load - though it may differ in IE.

Try this method. Load to targets. (plant them at 0.0 on the root and you wont have to modify the layout) With targets you can set the visibility of the loaded external as you would a mc. That way you assure the only load one time and are instant on revisiting. You can preload invisibly in background with one item triggering the next on completion. Build your targets nested in a clip. Then you just set the visibility of the container mcs inital state to invisible and the incomming swf adopts the parent clips property. Then the user sees the stuff instantly pop up by just toggling the visibility of the loaded subs. It is a lot easier than it sounds. Mano1 has this posted somewhere for Flash 4. I will look - the instructions are probably a heap better. I am almost sure that is where I got this originally.

The target method is also great for transitions by just applying the transition to the container. Any incoming swf will show up with the universal transition applied.

You can also set up a byte preloader for the incoming swfs tagged to the target mc then anything loaded to the target makes the preloader start again. One loader for multiple externals. I almost have one perfected that I retrohacked from FlashGuru's Attach sound tutorial. It is going to be a lifesaver for huge sites.

I probably can show some simple examples if you need help or point you to examples/tutorials of the parts if you want to try it out.

-Rob

They do not have to recache or download again to the users computer in Netscape. I just tried it out on a 1Mb file loading to a target. Only entered the cache once. Thanks for asking this - it is something I always wondered about.

Rob