A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Japanese Made Flash Animation: check it out!!!

Hi guys, lynx is back!

i stumbled upon this really cool site with flash anime

its the official site of the anime series MUGEN. made
    by tokyo tv sunrise... makers of gundam.

check out mugen's spinoff omake cute sd flash animations in this
    url:

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/mugen/onlineanime.html

its japanese but just click on the nos. to see the episodes

After seeing this flash animations, i could now say that
    this is now my standard of comparison when looking at flash
    anime...

BTW hi and long time no see to CNO, Sanman and the rest of Art&Anime!!!

^_^

Smile what can i say?

well their japanese and its anime, its their field, thats why it kicks ass

No, this is just great animation!

Great sense of timing, pacing - I'm still ogling the smooth animation with seemingly small file size (I picked up on a lot of tricks on a technical level that I was already aware of, but it just looked so good) - they paid a lot of attention to using limited animation effectively by drawing your attention toward the animated parts (watch who blinks and when for a bit of minutae, but important consideration).

Wish I could see more american studios taking web animation seriously and dumping some cash into the endeavor (I'm very appreciative of what Cartoon Network is doing with their 'web premiere toons').

And welcome back after a bit of a break, lynx. Thanks for the heads-up.

The animation is cute and very funny...I think the entertainment value alone represents good writing and storytelling skills.

Having said that....I think Tim Burton's Stainboy..had more visual appeal than this. While it was interesting it feels as if they are still viewing flash as a least common denominator for animation "If you have to use it...then I guess you have too.." mentality. I say this based on the fact that I've seen better fuller imagery from student flash presentations than this Professional anime project. So as far as this being any real sign of what can be achieved in flash.....nont even close in my opinion. Anyone seen Sakura Wars 2 on the dreamcast?

While the idea that this is low bandwidth...this is no excuse....the fact that most of the shadows are Darker renditions of the base color shows that they used as little man power to make this and just toss it up on the website. As well to them...I really think this was more of "something to put up" rather than "Showcase Piece". Meaning I know if they wanted to really show the world what they can do with flash...the results would be much different.

Ehhh....but I think it's cute and the animation rules.

its pretty good.. however when I read the word Mugen, I thought you where talking about that pos fighting game engine trash.. im glad to see someone found a better use for the name in japan.

that guy in the red shirt was cool!!....
    i always enjoy watching these japanese flash animes but it would be so much better if i could understand what they were saying......

p.s Mugen fight engine was cool!! i loved the Dbz fighting game made with it, very marvel vs capcom!!

i've watched them all now!!
    theres some neat lil interactive touches such as adding paper to that girls desk while shes talking, waking up the drunk captain, opening windows to see weird things, etc.

and there are alot of episodes (each episode has 4 sub episodes)..... and that guy got beaten up alot didn't he

p.s dementia7 its not that bad, stop being so critical... but then again u did say u liked it so

quote:

" p.s Mugen fight engine was cool!! i loved the Dbz fighting game made with it, very marvel vs capcom!! "

hee... I guess if there going to spend the time making a character for a game engine they dont own.. they might as well make character for it that arent there own as well..

..just my personal view... fandom is great.. but if your going to spend hours working on something, perhaps it would be time well spent doing it with your own ideas...

for the time taken to learn mugen.. you could learn enough flash to make your own fighting game.. and for the time taken to remake other peoples characters for it.. you could have made your own...

..still, I understand there just doing it for fun..

but even if you did make up your own characters for Mugen.. its not something that will look good in a portfolio compaired to using your own creations and ideas without copying someone elses ideas or using a copyrighted game engine.. just my two cents on the issue..

as for the mugen in japan that this thread is really about.. I like the way its set up for the most part..

Replies and some corrections

hi people...

seems that theres a lot of talk about that mugen thing...

oh well. it seems that i made a boo boo when i mistaken the website name for the title of the anime. In actuality the characters from this flash are from the anime Infinite Ryvius which features mecha etc....

gomen gomen for the boo boo ^_^

To the folks in the fighting game stuff:

hmmm.. fighting game for flash. good idea, but i guess
    it would be too inefficient because it would be too slow if you consider all the factors and scripting that would take place... still a good idea..

i'm thinking of modifying a friends VB fighting game engine and enchance it. the game featured fighting pokemon type vegtables. eck by our standards(its only for thesis demo purpose only anyway) but i guess if i modify it i could just make a generic DIY fighting game maker!

i agree. that animation kicks ass! cute and funny yet full of technical expertise.

i will find more of these jap made anime for you to see!

flash can handle rpgs and fighting games... right now however not many have done them.. so the scriptings still at its new stages..

i just thought i'd say that Mugen was intended for crossovers, hence why i said it was very Marvel vs Capcom..... e.g u could do Fatal Fury vs Street fighter vs Dbz(All of them) vs Ranma1/2 vs etc. etc.. all u had to do was get a game on emu and take screen grabs of every move, then import it all into mugen...... and it was so easy to add characters so u could end up with a huge selection, although some were made very craply!!

neways it was to hard to use to make original characters, alot of animating lil things..... i'm kent brockmen and thats my two cents

The correct term is crappily, m'boy

We should probably start a seperate thread on Mugen, but I say if it helps you learn, then why not.

I mean, Flash is basically doing a lot of the work for you - why do something in Flash that already has programmed routines? Why not learn assembly language? One of the beauties of Flash is that it allows people of all sorts of different disciplines to do stuff they might not ordinarily be able to accomplish.

To make the story more personal, I remember kicking back as a kid, playing my NES and saying "you know what would be cool? I think in the sequel to Mario, the flying Koopas should be able to toss fireballs..." etc. etc. Then I'd go and draw out these crazy level plans (send some off to Nintendo, of course ). Soon some editors came out that allowed you to make simple games by creating characters (back in the pixel-by-pixel days) and do some simple scripting and assigning actions to make stuff - I loved that. Then my involvement kind of dropped off (I was never a really good enough programmer to be writing game code, I only learned some of the basics of things like collision detection and bounding boxes in C) until I picked up a copy of Director. Object-oriented code! Brilliant!
    You could imagine my excitement when I found out how to really use Flash, and now I could put my games up on the web for everyone to see! And now I'm making fully developed and realized games as a totally hack coder specifically because of this program (and some excellently talented people offering advice on these boards).

Extremely long-winded story made short, if Mugen is your thing, and it makes you happy, Mugen away! Maybe the skills you get there will even help bring a clearer understanding if you do decide to design games in Flash.

do u remember the 'adventure game toolkit' it was really bad and its show case game was 'hotrod harry' it was so terrible, but it didn't cost much and u could make some amusing games......

Cno i did the very same thing except i drew a 100 page map of all my levels with some of my friends, stuck them all together, rolled it up, and now it sits happilly in my cupboard, probably crushed to death....

I do remember that, though I'm not sure if that's the one I used... There have been a couple of cool RPG maker games, particularly in Japan, that I had a chance to toy around with, but they never held my attention for too long...

I think just about everyone who was into games, when they saw the potential, did the same. I remember drawing up some insane ideas like fully 3d worlds, etc, etc. Now I have a Playstation 2 and laugh (as I used to look at game magazines and think to myself, you know, Sega CD [when it comes out] might be able to do what I want it to!), particularly as now that the tools are out to do what I imagined back then, I'm somehow stuck looking onto making characters pixel-by-pixel for WAP telephones.

The thing that I find disappointing with the industry as it is today is that it is such a monolithic industry, and only "safe" games will get the money they need to be made. It's why I focus most of my attention on webgames - I can make something cool and hit an audience of several thousands near immediately.

Huh?

ah well, just wanted say that this anime is pretty funny. very impressed with the voice actors too. i'm kinda surprised that i can keep up with most of it.

thanks for the link... lynx...

Hi,

I had posted that link up here before, but I just re-checked it, and it seems they've updated it with new animations. So that means that they're not just up there as a one-time token piece. Because there were similar animations with different plots there before. So they're new stories.

Actually, I'd hoped that the CAP would have aspired to look something like this. (had we been talented enough)
    But I think it's a very nice look for Flash anime -- very appropriate. To me, it wasn't really a cheap look at all, it was just an adaptive stylization.

found this link featured in NEWTYPE magazine. We got lots of these things in my workplace. I just could'nt run out of anime materials to wade through, art books, manga etc...too bad i cant take them home

anyways, i've liked the interaction parts as well. its rare to see these kind of hard work put into flash.I learned a few tricks as well. I noticed that the heads were seperately drawn from the body etc...