dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outlines on drawings and characters

9th Grade WC
    what does everyone think about outlines on characters
    do you think it looks better than characters without outlines
    does it give a more defined look
    i am not sure whether to continue deleting the outlines or should i keep them in

Ehh...I always keep my characters outlined.

Yup, I like to keep outlines for better definition.

I started by using outlines, but I have just started my first poroject that doesnt use them and am very pleased with the results so far. In fact I think it has forced me to think about shading more.

i think more serious cartoons tend to not have the outlines, where as more cartoony cartoons (what?!?) keep em in nice and thick..... check out dexters lab...
    neways i like em

I think it depends what look you're after. I agree that more "serious" cartoons don't have outlines (Or tend to have coloured outlines, a darker flesh tone for example) while "cartoonish" cartoons keep black outlines.

Personally I prefer black, because it makes my toons look better but that's just personal preference. I'd say keep experimenting and decided what fits best.

Human Being
    A lot of details are acomplished with lines, like scratches, thin lines of hair, etc. Also, some shading is acomplished by the lines, when drawing the hair. I guess I'd keep lines in.

I guess you could also look at the effect you want to achieve - if you want a robust, in-yer-face effect, the thicker the lines the better. But for a mor delicate type of work no outlines would work much better.

I have seen both...

portrayed in an equally rich context.
    Alot of the work done here by the Art & Anime artists show the outlined work which I prefer, but I have seen a site called http://www.nosepilot.com that has some really snazzy unoutlined art..amazing really.
    Check it out if you get time.
    PBM

something else......

If you do choose to do outlines, you could always make the outline a similar color to whatever the original fill color is. Disney has been doing that in thier movies as of late. I think since aladin. May be wrong though. Just a thought. I myself, like outlines. And boobies. that's just me.

Re: something else......

Yeah, I gotta agree. I like Boobies too.

Originally posted by JohnDevilman
    If you do choose to do outlines, you could always make the outline a similar color to whatever the original fill color is. Disney has been doing that in thier movies as of late. I think since aladin. May be wrong though. Just a thought. I myself, like outlines. And boobies. that's just me.

one time, i had a girl let me touch one. Ok, she didn't let me, I kinda fell and accidentally ALMOST brushed it with my fingertips looking for something to stop me from tripping and falling onto my face. But, she moved and i tripped. I was so close. I still think about that experience sometimes when i'm cloaked in desolation, watching the screensaver lull about my monitor. I guess until that fateful day arrives, i'll have to have that memory sustain me. That, and old, sticky issues of National Geographic African Expose!

CHeers!

Now I remember why I've been frequenting this board less and less. It's become something else.

thats why robie morales couldn't pull that rail, he thank back to 5th grade gym class when he almost copped a feel...
    oh wait u guys don't know nething about bmx doh!!

so john, those africans?

Re: something else......

Watche Titan A.E. on Sunday and the animators have done the outlines there with a darker (sometimes lighter) version of the main colour - I was thinking of having a go at that - coz generally I like the definition an outline gives.

the sears catalogue pantie/braw section......

I'm glad that you are going with my suggestion! that makes me very happy. Watch out though, it's hard to find exactely what colors to make the outlines. Let me give you a hint that toooook me 4ever to figure out. When you have your color picked, and are looking for the darker version of that particular color, you might want to pull the color viewer down into the more grey areas of the pallete, instead of making the one fill color darker itself. Am i being to confusing or vague here? I feel that i can understand because i know what i mean. ANyway, if you have any questions, just ask. I'll try not to be a spaz/...

Nah - that is one trick I discoved for myself when I couldn't get shading quite right - the greyer versions can be perfect sometimes.....

Here is a q. for ya tho....
    During Titan AE there were some periods where the background was dark but the characters were lit up by something... in this case the animators used lighter outlines - any particular way I should pick the lighter colours?

9th Grade WC
    use white
    or if you don't want white
    go to the mixer panel and use lighter versions of the same colour

I agree with D4 demon

btw, I was just looking at the art for the new legend of zelda video games that are coming out. The character, link's entire outline is done in brown. This looked very nice. But he wears all earthtones, so .........

just bumping this coz i mentioned it in another post