A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Proposal Kit

Anybody have the scoop the web design contract/proposal software offered on http://www.proposalkit.com ?

Anbody here use this product? Is it any good?

Thanks,

-BGoody

The Minister of No Crap

This is no scoop, but after looking at it, you don't need to buy this. This is something any designer will be able to do with time. I don't know if you're new or not, but if you are, then don't waste your money. If you're not new, then this should be stuff you can do.

Just my opinion.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

Thanks for your input. I thought that this product might be helpful for someone just starting out. It looks like it covers lots of legal issues, etc.

Proposal Kit is geared for designers with a steady workflow who need to generate a form for every situation you can imagine. It is pricey..most software packages are. Having the ability to just plug in a certains job's specs and then crank out a time estimate, break even alerts, and a pricing schema..is something all of theose free resources do not provide.

If you have any doubts...download the demo/trial..

This is probably the most valuable piece of software I've ever purchased..but it would be worthless if I never used it.

Hey Agent Coop, I am having trouble finding the free trial/download at the site. Am I just missing it?

Thanks

Sorry..

Here is the link..I need to talk to the developer about not burying it so..

http://www.proposalkit.com/htm/sample.htm

Demo

Maybe its just me, but this program is not worth the money. Dont get me wrong, its a great idea and has a wonderful interface but it does not contain anything that one could not find (or do)with a little research.

I would not tell anyone NOT to buy it, but on the same note, I would not lead anyone to it. Sorry

Lou C. Fur

Must...defend....product....

Yeah, but you'd have to spend the time to find all of these:
    and hope that whoever is providing the freebies, has had a lawyer draft each document (which we did).

Includes worksheets and templates
    Includes interview questionnaire
    Includes cover sheet and cover letter
    Includes marketing tips
    Includes development guidelines
    Includes nondisclosure form
    Includes milestone checklists
    Includes site maintenance tips
    Includes 3 payment terms
    Includes samples
    Appendix of additional resources
    Includes web design contract ($800 value)
    Includes estimate spreadsheets ($900 value)
    Includes Subcontractor Agreement
    Includes Memorandum of Understanding

Includes a sample web site
    Includes template web site
    Includes page structure , web site and navigation diagrams
    Includes diagrams for the CyberTrakker front end web site and back end systems.
    New free bonus: "Anatomy of a Performance Marketing Web Site"
    New free bonus: HTML and Perl scripts to use in your own web site to configure proposal documents.

1 year money back guarantee
    For PC and Mac (cross-platform)
    Downloadable from web

So if you have the time and stomach for uncertainty..
    you can find just about anything on the web..

Cheers!

-Tg

If I remember right the price for the one with all the extra "stuff" is like $200 (rounded). Now, most of the info that it has can be found in your local library. I also found a GREAT resource in the Lycos Business section (yes, written by real lawyers). Also, try stopping by just about any office supply store. You can find books (for under $15) on marketing tips, contract writing (btw, you do not have to be a lawyer to write one), and business operations (also found at your local library). The books will give you a far better understanding on how you should run your business then any cookie cutter program will

If you ask me (and I know no one did..hehe), a business owner, i.e. professional web designer, should understand this stuff without the aid of such a program. That's not to say that the program is bad. It has a wonderful interface and great design. However, it also contains information that any web designer who is serious about their work should already know.

Again, I just don't think Proposal Kit is worthwhile buy for the serious web designer.

Lou C. Fur

Actually, bgoody did "ask you" by soliciting opinions about proposal kit, so don't worry about ranting because you have a valid opinion.

However, I would take the opposite stance of you and say that Proposal Kit is for the serious designer and not the casual freelancer. $49 - $199 is a pitance for someone doing serious work & development. Most of the people who complain about software prices are the same that are designing with pirated copies anyway. They would balk at $299 for Dreamweaver, but scream if someone stiffed them $50 on a project.

Time is money. If you normally charge $75/hr, and spend a total of 20 hours getting everything that is listed above together, not to mention editing them for all possible combination of problems...well..it is not hard to do the math.

So we agree to disagree and that's all she wrote!

Thanks for the spirited discussion, and we just upgraded the product to include UK & CAN versions of the contracts, so there's more bang for your buck.

Cheers!

Just wondering

In the intrest of full disclosure, exactly what is your role with this product?

just wondering

On the same note, I have to admit that I am a little bisased. I have taken 4 years of business and marketing , 4 years of computer systems, 2 years of art and design, (all in the same 4 years) and teach a business class at a local community collage.

Also note...I dont teach english...hehe

No problem.

I live in the same area as the developer, and we work on CD-ROM Business cards together. I have no ownership in Proposal Kit, but since we work so close together and constantly pass work back and forth, I am trying to help him market the product. (my background is in law & computers).

We have recently formed a new company to produce a new version of our CD-ROM busines card software, and I suspect I'll be putting most of my efforts into that and let Proposal Kit stand on its own merits.

Thanks for your background info, you have a more than qualified opinion. Sometimes it is hard to tell if someone is 14 or 41 on these boards at times.

Do you run your business full-time along with teaching?

I run 2 of them. A web design firm with, as of now, 6 other people and a small record company both in Detroit, Michigan. And I'm quite young in the grand scheme of things, only 21.

Impressive!

What kind of music genre does your label work with?