A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mouse events

My Flash 5 is refusing to recognize buttons as buttons, therefore will not allow me to code any mouse events. I am perplexed and have spent an eternity trying to figure out why. Can anyone help? Thanks!

just wanted to say ello

ello!

explain a little more

provide a little more detail to what exactly your flash is doing when you publish it to swf. i am unclear as to why flash won't recognize a button if you created a button right off with hit state and all that good stuff. but, like i said, just give us example of what you are doing and the end result when you publish, i am sure we have some smart actionscripters that can help you out easy.

Maybe you're buttons are movieclips. You're not able to add some mouse events to a MovieClip.

So the symbol has to be of type and behaviour 'button'.

otherwise.. be more specific

Mouse events

Onondaska and Stalkert,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer.

Here is an example of what happens: If I open the Library and bring an instance of a button into the movie, the Instance Panel will indeed say that it is a "button" and has the "Track as button" selected. Yet, when I open the Action panel and attempt to add an action, the "On Mouse Event" is dimmed, not allowing me to select it. If I go to "expert mode" and manually type an action in, when testing the movie, I get the following error message: "Mouse events are permitted only for button instances". For some strange reason, it is not recognizing it as a button. I am really stumped!!! If you can help further, I will be very grateful.

Thanks!

why don't you post the .fla and i'll have a look see.

Mouse events

Thank you all, for your time and effort. I figure out what I was doing wrong. I didn't realize there were "frame actions" and "object actions"!!! I am hitting my head against the wall now!! Thanks again.