A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: water falls

It's not the server, it's because of the sound looping and transparencies. I've been trying to resolve the issues--but the looping fall sounds seem to have me ham strung. When I set the track to stream the actions speed up, but I can't seem to loose that intermittent silence between loops (so I have the track in a two frame event movie clip). Tried setting the frame rate up but it really didn't help a whole lot. It's a work in progress. Haven't really delved into the sound angles of Flash in depth--looks like I have to now.

it ran really slowly on cable, as well...

and I was a little confused about the species of the animal drinking until he raised his head...
    that's when I realised those weren't antlers, but twigs from the tree

You do realize this a pastoral scene--not a freeway with cars going 80 miles an hour. I did move the twig. The animal is a hereford steer--just for the record.

Here's another attempt. I posted it at

http://www.27Bobs.com/Tutorials/waterFall.swf

with the corresponding .fla at

http://www.27Bobs.com/Tutorials/waterFall.fla

It's only 5K, and I didn't spend anytime on the foreground-- just tried to get the waterfall.

--tyard

27Bobs

I can't help think it looks just a tad like the Stanley Cup. Oh well.... it's playoff season, right?

It looks good! I always try to make recommendations even when I like something, so:

1.) I didn't look at the .fla, but did you think about randomly setting the _x position of each sectional piece of the water? This might avoid having it look at all like a cycled clip.

2.) This one, as well as Phacker's, could really use some bubbles and foam to make it look a little more like water and a little less like a shimmering curtain of light.

Just my thoughts! You guys are doing some good work.

Phacker, I LOVE the blue jay!

im going to draw a waterfall. Only the drawing, then someone who knows how to make the movement could complete the effect of the animated waterfall.

So give me a day

It's _x position actually is set randomly (within 25 pixels). It's an attached movie clip that increases in _y position and decreases in alpha each frame, removed after 50 frames.

I agree about the foam. I attempted to add it at the bottom of the falls, but couldn't get anything I liked. Another effect to achieve...

--tyard

damn.
    okay - I know I said up there that I would give it a go.
    I messed around a bit but there just wasn't enough time to complete anything useful... Maybe soon but I doubt it! Sorry!

btw - if there isn't any text all this stuff still looks pretty good at medium or even low quality and it just whacks up the speed like nothing.

cool stuff though + nice to have a 'collaborative' design project running here.

:0 - n.

Tyard, downloaded your file and did a few modifications to the numbers (set the width, and played with the random generating numbers), and played with the graphics a little. Still 5k. Take a look and let me know what you think.
    http://tco1.tco.net/~phacker/revwaterFalldl.html

Wonderful! Quite an improvement. It now looks less like an effect and more realistic. Also especially like the alteration of the ripples. Now all we need is the foam (and that cool bird!).

--tyard

http://www.27Bobs.com

The jay goes with the place (the best hole on Digger Creek). Haven't been there in years (my dad got sick about ten years ago, and died three years ago). Was thinking about him when I came up with my fall (complete with the hereford). The ranchers around here pasture their cows up in the mountains, during the summer--more than once a young one would walk up behind me. Almost make me wet my waders from the inside, when they'd blow in my ear.

I've attempted some steam at the falls, as well as incorporating some of phacker's fixes.

http://www.27Bobs.com/Tutorials/waterFall.swf

The .fla's there as well.

--tyard

Pretty cool.

Forgot to tell you tyard, I really like your new sky. What part of the world were you thinking of, or was it just pure imagination and coding?

Pure imagination and coding actually. I was trying to achieve a fire effect a week or two ago and thought the same idea might apply to water. The surroundings were just for a generic waterfall setting.

--tyard