A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hi Guys! question...

I have made a html background for my desktop. Now I want to put a menu on that HTML desktop using swish so that when you click on the buttons in the menu it will open up programs on my computer. Like photoshop, games, my IP connection etc. How can I do this. I am a neophyte and know little about programing anything. Does anyone know an easy way to do this? Is there an application that will allow me to make this type of menu? I can get my menu, by using only swish, to see the file but then it only wants to download it to a directory. I get the window that say "run this program from current location or save this program to disk."
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    BrokenKite

Flash Git
    Wow - great idea if you can pull it off.

You`re going to need to ask people with more pc/tech knowledge about Windows operating systems about this one. Can I suggest you try this excellent place: http://www.tvchannel.co.uk under fourms on the left click on chips `w` everything and put your question in there, you`ll probably have more luck there with this type of question. Don`t forget to explain that you want to do this with a SWF Flash graphic. And then come back and tell all

Flash Git do you have MSN messanger? if so my email is deltawolf1@msn.com

Theoretically you should be able to do this. Simply use Go to URL and then go to your .exe file. However, I have seen posts that the Go to URL is limited as to how many bytes it allows so your C:\programs\microsoftoffice\word\word.exe would probably be way to long. Also I'm not sure where the file would open. I doubt you could open it in your original window though you could create a new window for it as normally. If I'm wrong someone correct me.

Operation Noble Eagle. 09.15.01
    Wouldn't this be an 'active desktop'?
    Start>Settings>Active Desktop>View as a Webpage.

If it is html.

BTW Iam running an AMD K7 500 with 384 mb ram Win98SE and if my desktop isn't anything but passive,I've got hell to pay.