A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using text effect templates

Wink

I've only JUST began messing around with flash so excuse the newbie questions... but I came across the effect templates in that section of this site and thought they would save me quite a bit of trouble... I downloaded the zip, extracted and opened the .fla in Flash... but now what? I have no Idea how to actually make use of the template... I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction, either by explaining, referring me to a tutorial or whatever...
    thanks in advance
    JSY

Not to offend you, but if your new to flash, it's better to learn some basics first, don't go using templates as a first move. Flash ain't really that hard to learn, so instead of using a template to create an effect, try using a tutorial, to create an effect step by step. At least this way you learn to understand flash, and knowledge is power.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    You need to copy the code into your own file. Study it and see how it works. Thats what the file are for. They are more for you to learn from than to just use. If you have specific questions about a file please ask. Welcome to FlashKit if we can help you let us know. Regards, Bill

OK, maybe I should have been a bit more specific... While I am new at Flash I've don'e quite a bit of messing around with it... I've pretty much covered all of the basics, and I know that I could do some of those text effects (such as those fancy letter by letter fade-ins) by individually animating each letter in the text (i.e. fading in / tweening each letter into place on by one) but I quickly found that gets a bit tedious... I was hoping there was a single program that would help me cheat at this but I have yet to find one. Then I came across this site and the listing of text effects... when I open the .fla template I see a Don't Touch This layer and a Main layer... I guess I just want to know what I'm supposed to do as far as putting in MY text... if that's even how it works... again, if I'm misguided in thinking that this is a simple process please let me know... I assumed it was a Download-Import-Add Text-and-go sort of deal....
    JSY

PS i'm really starting to love this site... this site is to Flash what ArsTecchnica is to PC hardware/OSes/etc (if you have no Idea what i'm talking about check out the forums at http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...frm&s=50009562 )

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Thanks for the compliments but the people is what make this place. as far as your request about a program there is one called swish. You can visit them at http://www.swishzone.com We also have our own text fx engine that is in beta that will have over 200 FREE effects soon. So I hope you tell all your friends about us and visit us often. Thanks again. Regards, Bill

Visit often? This may very well be my second home (ArsOpenForum being my first ) I'll check out Swish and see how it goes... I did dig a bit deeper in the templates I downloaded and noticed some of the the 'code' you were speaking about... wow, i didn't realise Flash was so ...well... deep... heavy stuff...now I still have to figure out how it works... don't worry I'll let me confusion be known to this forum if need be