A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bugs Bunny Retrospective Outrage!

ok maxx, tuning out, you are hilarious!!!
    I am curious what married with children you are talking about(true they were more sexist then racist), and yes I am a clown, I was mocking you with the whole full house thing, because cartoons are about as docile as fullhouse, but you aren't worth my time anymore, I think CNO had it right, you are welcome to your opinion, and I will not force mine on you, thank you for ruining this thread

web designer
    Originally posted by CNO
    IS the ultimate goal to end racism or too watch censored material. In other words, do you get off the couch and make an effort to help people after watching or do you flip to the next channel.
    Actually, more than half of Cartoon Network's core audience is teen/adult, with their online presence skewing even a bit older. You must have missed that article when it was posted along with this thread.

I won't argue too much, becuase you obviously feel your opinion is more valid than anyone else here. But I feel that if you are so right, why do you need to "attack" other board members unless you felt that they might poke some holes in your theory? And perhaps you should spend more time trying to help the people than posting here, if you feel that this conversation is somehow beneath you.

To each their own.
    CNO... did you just DANCE around what I said or is it me??

I ask again...
    IS the ultimate goal to end racism or too watch censored material. In other words, do you get off the couch and make an effort to help people after watching or do you flip to the next channel.

In other words, is it your goal to just view stuff you're not allowed to watch or is to help end racism? What do you do for your fellow man?

[Edited by bmaxx on 05-06-2001 at 08:05 PM]

web designer
    Originally posted by BradBradleySL ]ok maxx, tuning out, you are hilarious!!!
    I am curious what married with children you are talking about(true they were more sexist then racist), and yes I am a clown, I was mocking you with the whole full house thing, because cartoons are about as docile as fullhouse, but you aren't worth my time anymore, I think CNO had it right, you are welcome to your opinion, and I will not force mine on you, thank you for ruining this thread

It was my pleasure. Thanks for ruining my sunday evening with this ignorance. If you feel cartoons are harmless, I encourage you to get professional advice from someone before your expose your kids to this "harmless" television.

[Edited by bmaxx on 05-06-2001 at 08:09 PM]

I do have one final question for you...are you writing warner bros, cartoon network, etc. and stating your opinions to them, or just, how shall I say this, oh yes, telling off us "SIMPLE MINDED PEOPLE"?

Ok and my last comment, the world is crowded by rascist, sexist, etc. people, its reality, and its something that I agree is very sad, and things are changing, but if cartoons about indians, and blacks, etc. are taken off the air what good will it do. Ok lets think of it this way, a man is rascist, would you lock him away because you don't want him spreading his ideas around? NO! Well I wouldn't. Now true cartoons/TV shows are very different from living people, but the basic idea is, is hiding the truth, the reality, what must be done, things are changing and the newer shows/cartoons which are airing are much more shall we say, "world friendly" but we shouldn't hide the ones that aren't, but learn from them and enjoy the good points in them. What you are saying is sad, would you have people burn books like Huck Finn, for its rascism, or The Lord of the Flies, for its blatant display of the savagery of man, or even the bible, because it goes against another common religion, I hope not. Well I think that is all, unless I feel like commenting again.

web designer
    Are you staying or going? Which is it?

Originally posted by BradBradleySL I do have one final question for you...are you writing warner bros, cartoon network, etc. and stating your opinions to them, or just, how shall I say this, oh yes, telling off us "SIMPLE MINDED PEOPLE"?

Ok and my last comment, the world is crowded by rascist, sexist, etc. people, its reality, and its something that I agree is very sad, and things are changing, but if cartoons about indians, and blacks, etc. are taken off the air what good will it do. Ok lets think of it this way, a man is rascist, would you lock him away because you don't want him spreading his ideas around? NO! Well I wouldn't. Now true cartoons/TV shows are very different from living people, but the basic idea is, is hiding the truth, the reality, what must be done, things are changing and the newer shows/cartoons which are airing are much more shall we say, "world friendly" but we shouldn't hide the ones that aren't, but learn from them and enjoy the good points in them. What you are saying is sad, would you have people burn books like Huck Finn, for its rascism, or The Lord of the Flies, for its blatant display of the savagery of man, or even the bible, because it goes against another common religion, I hope not. Well I think that is all, unless I feel like commenting again.
    I think a racist can be as bad as a murderer or a rapist.
    There are levels of hatred, but I think you need to stop it.
    The German government is trying to control the Nazi minority at this moment. Nazi's get locked up all the time.
    They are trying to end their problem. The American government allows Movies and television to manipulate it's viewers by feeding it what it wants you to see. Did you see Hanibal?????? One of the most racist opening political propaganda I've ever seen.

In America, racism is still the #1 problem with America and it is much worse than anything going on in Germany right now. So it will be a long time before people get locked up for racism in America. Funny, Nelson Mandella can spend his whole life in jail and racists can spread their garbage.

Now I'm a book burner, right??? I love how you put words in my mouth.

Let's say this... I'm going about my business looking for some flash info and I'm subjected to this ignorance. I have a right to open my mouth or type on the keyboard the same way you people left your links to racist cartoons and your lack of concern for your fellow man.

What good is there in a 4 minute racist cartoon. The racist bugs bunny that I saw was one of the worst ones. The funniest ones don't deal with hate, maybe violence, but not hate.

I did have to read Huck Finn in High School and got an A on my paper (thank you very much). I did enjoy the story and the adventure, but it made me quite sad... literally sad to have to be subjected to a lot of the references to slavery and racist people. I could have done without. But from what I remember I took it as an uplifting experience, because Huck rose above what the adults in his life believed and befriended Jim, for what it's worth. I don't remember a lot from the book, but I guess I learned that there was hope for the individual. A person can rise above popular opinion and blatent hatred and still be a man (or woman) within himself. Sort of like me right here, now wouldn't you say.

But if Huck Finn never existed, I would still be who I am today and maybe a little better.

I really still feel it shouldn't have been REQUIRED reading for myself. I hated those few weeks where we worked on it in class. It made me so very uncomfortable. I couldn't wait to get out of High School and on to college. It's one of the reasons I love math so much. People can taint words and images, but math is pure... and I'm not talking about statistics. Math is pure.

These references you made do not represent the same thing as some of those Tom & Jerry cartoons. I watched the few Black face episodes of TOm & Jerry and tried to ignore it as a child. Why should I be subjected to this??? what good comes out of this cartoon, movies, and other programs telling me that I am no good. Saying that I am stupid and slow and meaningless. Funny, I am damn intelligent. If these cartoons could influence me in even the slightest way, how do you think it affects the average or below average person. And you wonder why a lot of people are having troubles in America.

I'm smarter than most people. I work hard. I study, I train, I respect other people. Why do I need this in my face?????

What's wrong is things like this infringe on my rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. You can't yell fire in a crowded room, you can't threaten people via email, and you shouldn't be able to post racist links or show racist television programs for our children to watch.
    It should be illegal. The same way child molesters destroy our kids... racism does the same.

Trying to make me out to be some book burner is a LAUGH RIOT. I'll give you credit for your extreme remarks. Someone coming along and catching a few clips of this thread might get the wrong idea and you keep trying to label me as this or that.

The whole point of this thread is that the Cartoon Network wanted to display some racist cartoons for whatever reason. Maybe it's the NEW George W. era or something. Warner Bros. said NO WAY JACK. Why would they allow their brand to be destroyed???

I think they should destroy the racist bugs bunny episodes, or leave them locked up for 200 years untill people are more intelligent to accept them. Why should the racist mind of some jerk serve to last for ever??? If a person makes some hate filled comments in the past and it only serves 1% or 2% of the 100% of the person's character or worth... I think we should throw out those 1% or 2% if the person is sorry for his actions and spends most of his time as a good person. Same goes for Bugs. That Brand is so strong and I'm one of the biggest bugs fans around... just put in a tape yesterday. It will only ruin the brand.

RACISM MUST DIE.

There are no excuses. Hatred must end and people must learn to live as a family. I repeat... There is no reason that children should be starving around the world and there is no reason that people should be racists, murderers, or rapists.

I find it hard to believe that other people managed to get away with making comments about their fondness for these racist cartoons, etc, etc, and I am the only one that opened my mouth on the defensive.

AGAIN... this forum is for flash, animation, and web design.
    It is not for spreading racist garbage.

You had some interesting points, quite a lively debate we have here. I agree rascism is bad, but you shouldn't go to jail for being rascist its a feeling an emotion not a physical or emotional act of wrong doing. I wasn't branding you as a book burner,but merely saying, what is the difference between hiding a cartoon animation, and hiding a book, if people are willing to agree to something like this, where will it stop, when will the concealment be enough. You understand? I agree required reading in high school was annoying, but was worth the time and I am glad I was forced. Rascism is a touchy subject, and can flare many people up, the point of this thread, was to say how these things are trying to be denied, now I don't feel I am rascist, I hold no contempt or prejudice toward any physical or cultural background, but I think they should be aired, its a cartoon, if you don't like the cartoon don't watch it, its that simple, they are meant to entertain, not to spread rascism, you may feel differently, and I am sure you do. I don't fear for my children, they will be aware of the unfortunate sometime hateful world we live in and won't at some point be shocked at the world we truly live in, rascism will never be completely destroyed, unfortunately, unless we go for some Brave New World scenario. And if I find something disturbing to me, or see something disturb them I would talk to them and comfort them. What exactly disturbed you about the black cartoons as a child, I've never found cartoons anything but funny, never even noticed when I was younger the difference in coloring or character, besides rabbit, human, pig, the norm?

( bear with me as I dont know how to do a quote )

<quote>:

the end statment is that issues of race or religion can never be really put to rest as long as the fact that discussing and debating the arguments will often times brand one side as a heretic or bigot...keeping that in mind, cartoons often state things most people at the time think.. or I should say, cartoons often times represent the time there created in as well as the belifs of that time... if those belifes are offensive within another time or place.. then they shouldnt be shown sense its the reputation of the companys that are on the line if they are... and regardless of warnings before the showings.. bad press against a company is still bad press...

<end/quote>:

maxx has proven my point.. regardless of how contructive a debate is, there will always be someone willing to step in and hand out red heratic X's and "Im a Bigot" name tags to anyone that dosent agree 100% with there line of thinking..

the use of negative terms of mocking others ages or metal states or upbringings is also the norm in this type of negative campain..

face it, if everyone here was at a room discussing religion freely.. eventually during a debate on Wicca belifes ..someone would run into the room with a cross and demand that we all convert or suffer in hell..

if everyone here was at that same room discussing race freely..eventually during a debate on how the slaves where considered AT THE TIME similar to live stock or personal property or status symbol.. someone would run into the room with a malcom X hat on and deam us all bigots..

in the end a debate requires views on both sides and understanding of those veiws within the context of that frame of time that those events took place... having one side deem the opposite side as a heratic or bigot from the get go distroys the topic and cheapins the overall locigal overtone for the debate.

unless everyone is willing to FLY OVER AND IGNORE one sided comments from other people.. this thread will become nothing but a flame feast.

remember, its a debate about a topic openly.. not a fight over what side is right or wrong.. there should be no stands over what is deemed right and what is wrong in this type of disscussion as all sides are intitled to there own belifes and view points.

well. seems i missed all the fun, today.

something's wrong with what's being said here and i'm not sure what. i don't think i've read too much at all that i agree with here. i'm particularly bothered by something bmaxx said(oh. come now. don't give me that shocked look!).

"I watched Married With Children for the entire run of the series (9 years) and NEVER once did I get the feeling it was racist. I'm sure a lot, a lot of women found it offensive. Of course, I would never support it in a public forum. Women and overweight people probably could find it very offensive. But it's not ....RACISM."

sorry to pull out the ole dictionary on everyone but here i go:
    race (ras) noun
    Human beings considered as a group.
    A distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine.

why is it you are so quick to jump to the defense of your idea of what "racist" is but so easily overlook women and fat people (oh. come on. let's be honest. overweight people are fat.)? they don't fit into your personal definition of race? i guess, while you sat in your lazyboy with remote in hand you didn't stop to think about the people who might be offended or hurt by how al bundy treats his wife or by what a whore kelly is and how that might affect teenage girls who are growing up because they might think that's the right way to live because it's a girl on tv so they all go out and wear bright red lipstick and short little skirts and try to have sex with every . . .thing. it's funny because in my earlier posts i thought of mentioning something to the effect of how i'm a girl with "boobies" (i quote a term used in a different thread in this forum)and maybe i'm just getting so damn sick of seeing little flash movies with bimbos with BIG FAKE "BOOBIES" and no brains because that's not how real girls are. we're not all bimbos. not all of us have fake "boobies". not all of us wear tight little minis. but, i guess those aren't considered racist because we're talking about gender here and not color, right? even though females are "human beings considered as a group," which is what a race is isn't it? so what would that make you bmaxx? would that make you a racist because you watched it and found it funny? (of course you never said you thought it was funny, i'm only making an assumption. you did say you'd never support it in a public forum but you watched it for 9 years. i'd call that supporting it. it also makes me wonder why you'd watch it for 9 years - wow. thats a long time - but then not support it in public? or did i misunderstand?).

truth is. i'm not too very offended by your lack of concern towards my feelings (as a girl) by you watching married with children (which, i not only find offensive, but. . boring). and i don't care if they air that show for the rest of eternity. i don't watch tv. i've grown accustomed to men not taking women seriously. some don't deserve to be taken seriously.

why am i wasting my time posting here when i need to be finishing my foundation flash 5 boodk? sorry to cut off mid idea. but. really. this doesn't accomplish anything.

loooove,

botti

(( btw, guess I have to post this all opinions in this post are my own and none are made to offend others but only to express my own views on the subject ))

on the issue of rape in cartoons...

< sarcastic >

.. I have a large collection of la blue girl... and some twin dolls and legond of the overfiend tapes that I find very distrubing.. I have to watch them over and over again just to belive the horrid things these vidio tapes show.. * presses pause on the vcr and rewinds.. then plays * .. yes it is trully horrid indeed..

I also have a large collection of henti pictures and hopfully I can find some henti flash animations as well.. however over all I find this sort of thing compeltly horrid, I feel it is my duty to find and look at as much as possible to better inform myself about this issue..

< /sarcastic >

please bear in mind that cartoon rape and violence is nothing at all like seeing a real life vidio with those same things in it...

cartoons give us a sense of distance from reality when we view them..

male fantasys often have a cast of over a thousand at some times... we dream or pretend to do things we normally wouldnt do in real life and seeing things like violence or rape or torture in vidio game or cartoons or movies is no different from what most people day dream about normally.. the thing with these sorts of things is that no one gets hurt and there are no after affects from your actions..

kill a person on quake... the after affects are nothing happens..

kill a person in real life... the after affects are you goto jail..ect...ect..

people dream or desire the EVENT not the after affect of what happens when its been done... dreams often show you what you want.. not what happens after.. if you want to shoot that person in the face with a gun in your dreams or in a vidio game or cartoon world or movie world... you get the event of doing that.. you dont worry about the after effect of seeing the persons dead body in front of you or seeing the persons children or wife that they left behind..

..all that being said.. the step from the movie/dream/cartoon ..event horizon and the real life one is a BIG step... regardless of what you may think, unless your mentally disturbed.. your own mental claraty will stop you from performing what you see in cartoons or movies or dreams .. in real life..

..that being said.. issues of rape or violence or death are not the same as issues of racisum..

rape,violence,killing.. are aspects of our primitive belif of domination over others..

racisum is an aspect of our primitive mistrust of people or things that dont fit within what we view as being our norm..

..bearing that in mind.. racisum is a learned trait that is acired as we live, by the amount of understanding of other peoples and cultures around us.. someone that lived in a single race or religion area will be much more racist then one that lived in a multi-race and religion area.

race and religion and any other differant aspects of people do fall within the same catagory... its just as easy to be a black bigoted against white as it is to be a white bigoted against blacks... as long as there differences in people.. there will be bigotry against others unless understanding is made...

keeping all this in mind... the cartoons on cartoon network where made in the frame of time that such things where the norm...

they however dont belong as part of todays norm and should not be shown.. I am sure that disney is trying its best not to show its racial cartoons to people as well...

within historical content such cartoons are fine.. but seeing a nazi sign or other racial symbol in a cartoon nowadays without the proper understanding that it was made in a prior time that such things where the norm, will not work.. such cartoons should be put within there own time frame and singled out from the other cartoons as there only made to show one aspect of the time that they where created and are not considered the popular thinking in modern civilization..

Thank-you, botti!

Too long to quote your post, but I'm agreeing with you.

TS - To quote its [*quote][/*quote] w/o the *'s.

as for issues with men making fun of women or only seeing them as sex symbols..

lets face it, men are at there very center..are scared of women..

the main issue of men building large structures is nothing more then there desire to try to match the ability of the female to produce children..

between the storys of female beauty and the status built as well as the poetry made... its is clear that if men didnt try to cheapen women by either dominating them or trying to overshadow them... that women would clearly take over..

in religion most of all.. the issue if female-fright is clear in how little is spoken about the womens part in most things as it all centers around males, and even in religion females are discribed as the bringers of doom.. either with Eve and the apple or Pandora and her box.. for the most part men have a desire to protect and show dominace of a female because with out that... the male really dosnt have any use past simple fertalization..

ya have to wonder.. if there was ever a pill that allowed women to have children without the need for men... what would men be useful for??? .. just set the pills to make females only and make sure the drug companys got pleanty of backing... course after a few years the human body would start making the chemecals on its own without the need for pills.. ..

..course if you set yourself to go into the future and you did become the last man on earth ( assuming your male ).. would anyone think that you where at all sexy? .. like a guy going into a female gay bar and trying to get a date..
    [Edited by tartarsause on 05-07-2001 at 03:10 PM]

...gah.. this thread takes a while to load up.. geez..

btw, if spawn isnt black anymore cuz his skin was burnt off... then wouldnt Micheal Jackson be considered white because he got his skin sand-blasted and bleached?

(( if you want to read between the lines about racal cartoons then DBZ and Sailor Moon would be racial as well ))

and would Mr Poo Poo from DBZ fit into this discussion? ..and if no one saw the DBZ movies... would they consider them racial because Gogus race was from a dark planet and they all had monkey tails and changed to monkeys in the moonlight and where all servents to Freeza that was in his true form a white creature... however when Gogu gets his ultimate form he losses his monkey features and gets blonde hair and blue eyes as the supirior race of fighters... and mister Poo Poo ( whos name could be considered as Poor Poor to mean the poverty of blacks ) is a servent to the ruler of the earth... plus there are no Z fighters that are anything other then white...

As for Sailor Moon, all the sailor scouts are white as well and there enemys are from the DARK moon where most of the enemys are either men or men dressed in female cloths ( in sailor moon, if you dont see cleavage on an enemy.. its a guy.. sorry to all the fisheye fans out there ).. this show clearly stats that females are far more better then Gay men or women by showing how easy it is to distroy these evil beings from this dark place by using wands that clearly show themselfs to represent the male organ, and are used to distroy the enemys...

...<< of course in reality we know these are all japan cartoons and are not made in the U.S. and have no issues with race or gayness in them as far as those issues are consired with in the U.S.

also on the same note.. cartoons like the jetsons and flintstones are also should not be considered racist as when we see pictures of cavemen in museums .. they all look white .. the same for pictures of the future in fantasy magasines.. its just a default.. nothing more..

..in the end.. the cartoons that blatently show racist items in them where made in a time when those issues would get the movie seen by the most people.. showing Japan people in a bad light during the war with them as well as germans during the war, made the movies more apealing to people... the cartoons showing blacks in a negative light really dont have any foundation to them, and I would think they where made more to attract people to watch them BECAUSE of the racial issues in them rather then just because the cartoon was funny... however in the end I do feel that WB did the right thing by not showing these to the public as the reasons that those types of cartoons where made, no longer apply to the reasoning or thinking of today..

Thanks for keeping the dialogue civil, guys. I was worried I would have to close the thread, but there's so much good discussion/debate going on, I'd like that to be an absolute last resort.

web designer
    People of this community,

I do feel racists should be punished, and I also feel it doesn't take a phyysical crime to be punishable. Mental violence is every bit as serious as physical violence. How else can you change a racist mind, but with punishment?
    There should be no friendly solution. They're not going away. A child pervert that wispers dirty comments in a childs ear is every bit as dangerous as a full fledged molester. It's ugly to even use it as an example, but it is the same way I feel about racists. Abuse is abuse.

If you don't think some of these extreme cartoons, movies, books, etc., go over the top, then I don't know what to say. Again the first 15 minutes of Hannibal server my point as some of the most racist propaganda I've ever seen.

I'm not talking about "iffy" situations, but down right nasty immoral attempts at making another race look like garbage.

I'm also not talking about a 5 year old child. More damage is done on at a subconsious level at that age, but the average kid who is 12-18 can very well see the harm in a racist cartoon... Just as I felt bad about being in High School and having to read Huck Finn. Racist material even if it is a chapter or two shouldn't be required reading. I feel it is required for some sick reason. Racism is all about showing or acting out a mental or physical aggressive act on another race. You belittle the other race (for lack of a stronger word) and ultimately try to force your kind as superior. Did I feel the "little rascals" had racial themes? Not exactly, maybe a few, but I never saw all of them. But that is me, and I would not be on the other side of a thread if someone was outraged by it's behavior. I think that might be more of a historical event that needs to be preserved, but not racist cartoons. Bill Cosby felt the need to buy up the licensing for them and get them off the air. I think there is more controversy there than in obvious cartoons mentioned above.

The very fact that someone wrote "JAP" above, is a racist comment in itself. More for the fact of the time of war rather than the derogatory meaning of the three letters.

It's easy to be a white american and feel no harm is in a racist cartoon. It's also easy to say other colors of people or religions are just big complainers looking for a law suit. That's all easy. The point of being a white american is not to sit on an expensive coach watching the big screen with the cell phone and look down on other people, just because you are LUCKY in life. You didn't make the phone, you didn't invent the thing, you are merely using it and benefiting from your races' popularity at the moment. It is all just a moment in time. A period of history. Feel lucky you have these opportunities, but find a way to make this planet a better place for all of our kids. Black, white, yellow, brown, etc, etc, etc. If you don't you will only create more ill feelings with your insensitivities.

I feel racism can and should be eliminated. I also feel World Hunger should also be eliminated. This is my reality. If you are the type to make comments on the other side, I will disregard them and find no use for them. Too many people find it easy to shrug off life's challenges, by saying "That's too hard, or I'm just one person... what can I do?" MYSELF INCLUDED! I have no use for such comments.

There's a lot each of us can do to open up dialog between races... It starts with an unselfish attitude concerning your neighbors' children. Children are the future... we need to feed them good healthy things. People also need to stop being afraid that ending racism will make their lives harder by giving more people pieces of the pie. SHARING is a helluva lot better than someone taking your piece, now isn't it?

If I ultimately come to the conclusion that racism will not end, I might just become a selfish bastard like everyone else. Where would I be then? What good will that do anybody?

There is danger in book burning and censorship, but my goal in life is to work to eliminate differences in people of the world. If it means that an ignorant portion of society tries to use their evil intentions through a cartoon, book, or whatever, then this material should be put away until people of society learn to really get along. If people fail to see the ill effects of racism, then maybe some books should start to burn. See my point? It's better than someone's neighborhood burning down and it's better than the scale of racism in America at this point in history.

I hope I don't offend any women with my constant references to rape as an example. It is even such an ugly word, I hate to even use it, but it serves my feelings on racism. To say that rape will never be truly eliminated may be a valid statement, but it really only servers to support the notion that rape will always exist. The fact of the matter is that there was a helluva lot more raping going on the further you go back in time, but in our society it has definetly been lowered. You hear about less cases of spousal rape and Fraternity date rape. The reason? Active legislation in government, enforcement by police, public scrutiny of the cowards that commit this crime, Hollywood and televisions efforts to not glorify or condone this violence, and EDUCATION from the home. I am happy to say that rape cases has truly gone down. Hopefully this isn't a blind statistic, where a lot more cases are still happening at home or are unreported. I would like to think people or MEN have evolved into better human beings.

So from my perspective, the same can be said for racism. Hundreds or even thousands of years ago, men didn't find a problem with rape or raping your wife. How sick they were and I think spending a good 30 years behind bars or some other drastic measure would surely let them learn the ill of their ways. Today people feel being a racist is their right. Talking down or acting down on another race is such a truly violent experience. When a child, young person, or adult is made to feel inferior it is violent, because the effects only serve to dehumanize the victim and can cause a horrible chain reaction.

This is all I have to say on this subject. If I bothered anyone with my condesending remarks in my first post, I hope this message clarifies that some of the remarks made by certain people only fueled it. Racism and racist or biased remarks (or links to such material) only server to BELITTLE my experience on this planet. So, I spoke back with some belittling comments of my own. They were targeted and intentional.

Again, several people still have made (and will continue to make) ignorant statements in this thread. The michael jackson comment, the george jefferson comments, etc, etc. What will be said about them? Nothing. If people aren't willing to let people know that they're wrong, then it will never go away. I bet more people would have posted evil comments, but I'm sure I scared them off... as they are merely cowards anyway.

I don't care if I'm the only light in a room... the only person willing to try to make peace or try to change people. I don't care. If I am .1% against 99.9% and I feel I am right, loving, and just... then I will live my life that way on the positive side of the fence.

RACISM MUST DIE. Whether people want it or not.
    [Edited by bmaxx on 05-07-2001 at 08:52 PM]

bmaxx said>>

I do feel racists should be punished, and I also feel it doesn't take a phyysical crime to be punishable. Mental violence is every bit as serious as physical violence.

I said>>
    You had some interesting points, quite a lively debate we have here. I agree rascism is bad, but you shouldn't go to jail for being rascist its a feeling an emotion not a physical or emotional act of wrong doing.

You missed that

bmaxx, I don't know what magical world you live in, but I live in reality, where yes there is rascism, yes there is rape, and there are even people starving on the streets, and if all those things were do disappear, and suddenly didn't exist anymore, I wouldn't ignore that they ever happened or existed, or how would I know how to avoid them, you critisized how CNO and others how cartoons were not really history, if you don't believe me, read what you wrote, then you stated to CNO how if he wants, wait let me get this quote

bmaxx said>>So CNO I take no issue with you and your desire to learn. Hopefully in your desire to learn about the ugly past of America, you are willing to educate people on a solution moving forward to eliminate rascism.

How can it not be history, you yourself say "to learn about the ugly past of America" You are stepping over yourself, I understand your extreme hatred of rascism, but don't critisize us, from what I have seen you have been the most rascist of any of us, stating how, we are rascist,a philosopher once said "those who judge are guilty" you don't know any of us, how can you judge, now I don't believe you are rascist, but you just feel strongly about rascism in general, which I concur, it is an evil thing. But you seem to be attacking others, which I find very offensive, you don't know any of us, you read what we write and jump to your own conclusions about our exact meaning, attacking, without question, I find it sad that people are so single-minded, I am happy you are determined to single-handedly end rascism if need be, but don't judge, one person can not judge society, though neither can the many rule, or so says plato..lol..anyway your opinions are of course welcome just don't attack, thank you I love debates, we should have some sort of Flash site debate, where everyone works together(or teams) on a flash site, and then the teams critisize each others websites, pointing out the good and bad, and try to win the support of selected voters, or the community of voters, hahah, well I got distracted, well PEACE OUT bmaxx....
    till next time
    I am BRAD

Hello all,

I'm not actually sure of the point of this thread.
    The title is "Bugs Bunny Retrospective Outrage!"

What exactly is the outrage about?

Is it about the fact that Cartoon Network was actually contemplating showing racist offensive cartoons?

or...

Is it that some are dissapointed about not being able to see these cartoons on THEIR televisions, in THEIR homes?

If you are disappointed about not being able to watch these cartoons on T.V. , why?

What could you hope to glean or learn from a cartoon that targets a specific race for humiliation?

If for some reason you are nonchalant or indifferent toward the issues of racism contained within these animated shorts. Then I would ascertain (and please correct me if I'm wrong...) that it is not your race or culture being defamed. (IE, Japanese, Black, or American Indian)

Hell. Why would you care if it's not your race then it's not your problem, huh?

Why should you care about the feelings of people who are being subjected to false, unjust, and negative stereotypes, and who still contend with them today? It's not your problem.

I agree with most of what bmaxx has posted, the sad part about it is that some people dont realize how insensitive thier comments come off.

web designer
    akira12,

It is very nice to meet you.

Bmaxx,

Likewise. =)

BMaxx, racism is a very big and ugly problem. But some of the things coming out of your mouth are worse.

"If people fail to see the ill effects of racism, then maybe some books should start to burn. "

My God, do you really believe that? Do you not see the inherent stupidity in such a statement? Do you not realize what even the most good-intentioned censorship inevitably leads to?

We live in an amazing nation, where people have the right to say, think, write, and create whatever they want. If you disagree with someone else's point of view, than speak out against it. Teach others how that point of view is wrong. But NEVER try to censor their point of view. When that happens, none of us will really free, because we'll live with the fear of our rights of expression being stripped away at any time.

It people fail to see the ill effects of racism, then try to teach them it's ill effects. Don't destroy the free speech of others, you really don't have the right.

web designer
    BradBradleySL,

I read your sentence on emotion and lack of punishment, but since it was not a complete sentence I didn't comment on it.

You find my comments offensive and you think i'm racist and judging? I again have to tell you that you are a clown.

How dare you write "Peace out" at the end of your post, when you continue to insult me?

Racism is not a debateable subject. You either are for or against it in my book and need to be an active participant against it to even have a conversation with me... Not for the fact that I am non-white, either. I feel World Hunger or a damn big portion of it should end. Not because I'm hungry. I ate pretty good today. You see my point, jerk?

What magical world do I live in? Oh I see. This magical world...

My girlfriend just came back from a trip to Ethiopia. She loves to travel and it is a part of her job. She was staying in a big fancy hotel which is customary for Americans. The poorest places to visit have the richest hotels. She actually visited a Mother Theresa hospital to drop off some clothing and to see what goes on there. She told me stories of how people just go to the hospital to have a good meal and DIE. These people go out of their way to spend their whole life helping the sick and the poor. Mother Theresa spent her whole life helping people.

What magical world did she live in?

I'm not saying I have been a big contributer to world peace or anything, but I would like to think that I can and will enjoy helping people in the near future. I'm not going to be ignorant like you.

So, please don't direct your comments at me any more. I will ignore you in this thread and on this site. You have no value to me at all. If I saw you in person I would surely give you such a verbal thrashing that you would only have course to consider it abuse.

If you could actually continue to find fault in things I have said, then you really are a miserable low life person.

goodbye sir, and believe that in my magical world you are forgotten.