A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: which flash books are recommended?

which, if any, Flash 5 books do you recommend?

As you may guess by the forum, I'm a bit of a novice but don't need any help with basic drawing tools, etc that a book I own on Flash goes into great depth (Visual Quickstart guide to Flash4)

Are any books worthwhile or is all the information I could require on this site?

PS - I have to pay for my internet connection!

Old dog learning new tricks

Flash 5 Bible is a good detailed book. I also recomment the Foundation Actionscript from Friends of ED for starting with actionscript.

i just got New Masters of Flash... best $60 ive ever spent

500 full color pages w/ tuts from some of the best flashers out there... there is even one by eric jordan. the book also comes w/ a cd that contains all the fla's, animated versions of all the tuts in the book, and even some interviews w/ the flashers.

hope i could help.

I just bought Flash 5 Studio - it's the best Flash book I've ever purchased for the intermediate user.

I have both New Masters and Flash 5 Studio. New masters is cool, but Flash 5 studio is just great, packed with cool stuff, and in tutorial style, well written, I learned lots new and found stuff I still considered too scary after years with flash, like database connection, so clearly explained I wanted to dive in. If you can buy only one make it Studio.

I suspect all the books from "friends of ed" are great, go and take a look,

http://www.friendsofed.com/books.html

Señor member
    New masters of flash is pretty good although not particularly easy going! Good for ideas on what you could try though. For a nice easy book though, I reckon you could do worse than SAMS Teach Yourself Flash 5 (in 24 hours) I'm not convinced you'd learn everthing in 24h though.....it is good for basic advice though.