A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: psp

wtf dude how come everyone is all about adobe photo shop and thats it? i'm kinda new and i have paint shop pro. is psp really that bad that no one uses it or what? i just wondered cause aps is like 300 bucks or whatever and psp is only like 100. is there really that big of difference?

so if you could help me out thanx.

It's a snob thing. Adobe Photoshop gives you the option of a lot plugins. If you're just starting out--learn what you've got. Most of the programs are so similar what you learn in Paint Shop Pro, will cross over. I personally prefer Corel, but I am in the minority (I just find it a little more intuitive.). I've used them all. There's nothing wrong with PSP for optimizing photos, sizing and color correcting--you just don't get all the glitzy plug-ins and effects.

you can buy plug-ings for psp too, and sometimes filters for photoshop work on psp aswell.

It's Not A Snob Thing.....

I have Photoshop 6
    Paint Shop Pro 7
    Ulead PhotoImpact 5

While Photoshop is the best...each has features that I like....

I might take something from Photoshop into one of the others to add effects, and then finish it off in Photoshop.

Photoshop puts out the highest *quality* images....it also is the best at compression.

As far as optomizing I rate them:
    Photoshop (5.5 & 6) best - version 5 was horrid at keeping file sizes donw
    PhotoImpact - A very close 2nd
    PSP - Compression wise Jasc lags

Any Photoshop compatible 3rd party filter can be used in any of these.

If you are *serious* about graphics/digital art/photography...I'd recoommend saving up for Photoshop. It's the indusrty standard for a reason....that reason is quality.

If you just need to make some graphics for a personal website, PSP or PhotoImpact...(actually I'd recomment PhotoImapct first...it's around the same price as PSP) will serve you just fine.

Personally I try to keep all 3 of these up to date with every upgrade that comes out.
    PhotoImpact is now up to version 6.

Again.....it has *nothing* to do with snobbishness.........if you want to make a carreer out of web design/ graphics/print/or photography...you need to have the best tools for the job.

If you are a hobbiest.....well.... you really don't need to break the bank when something else will suit you just fine.

BTW....Corel

Corel Draw is also highly touted....especially if you do a lot of vectors....howver it's just about as expensive as Photohop.

Corel Photopaint has every option that Photoshop has, and does a lot of them easier. Corel has made the program so that every plugin that I have tried has worked with it. How many of you have even tried Corel PhotoPaint?

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Originally posted by phacker
    How many of you have even tried Corel PhotoPaint?
    <raising my hand> I have ... But PS remains my favorite. Like SapphireDesign - I keep a myriad of like products upgraded to the latest version.

I agree that Adobe has the art of compression pretty well mastered. Although I like PSP, there is something in their compression that just doesn't quite meet up to Adobe standards.

Not trying to get everyone's shorts in a bunch. The original poster waited four days for a response. I've certified in both Adobe and Corel products (my personal taste, and the way I work makes Corel--the one I reach for first). I don't think the beginner needs to invest in either one right away. They need to get used the computer first. A lot of the lower level tools, will meet the beginning needs, and set up a foundation for moving on to the more professional tools. As far as Adobe being the industry standard--I think Adobe started that rumor and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Up here in the nether regions of California, the professional printers are split about fifty/fifty. If someone wants to get into the print field it's also good to learn Quark.