A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: broadband on my G4

Well in a few weeks I'll be going home for the summer and losing my T-3 connection at school till September. Any Mac users have DSL or cable modem? If so, will I need to purchase any other hardware for these connections? Did your service provider provide the needed hardware? This connection will apply to my G4, any help is appreciated.

there was a great article in the last macaddict about cable vs DSL - They voted in favor of DSL. I'm going to go DLS here in a couple of weeks. all you need is to get a DSL modem, have the phone company condition your lines and get an isp. the line is like 20-30 bucks a month and the isp is like 15-20. if your out west here in the US you can get qwest, the modem is $195 and it supports multiple computers on the same connection, then the dsl is 19.95 and the service is 17.00 with a package deal.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy another modem, or pay for the addtional fees, considering it's free on campus, but I guess I don't have too many options. I heard some cable companys give you a cable modem, I don't need it to be super fast, just faster than the regular dail-up until I return to school in the fall.

I've got two words for you: shop around. If no one has a "free modem" deal, then you are going to either have to buy one, or wait. We found a provider who sold us a modem for $200 and then we got a $250 rebate on it. I haven't the faintest idea why that happened, but I'm pretty sure that's how it went.

The other posts are right, you do have to get the modem, the dsl, and the isp. It rarely falls below $40/month when it's all said and done. Cable varies, you can find it for 30 or 35. There's a few other possibilities, I'm not sure how they do but cable and dsl are fairly tried and true. Everyone has their favorites and thier ones they hear stink.

We used DSL for awhile, it was fairly reliable. My G4 was quite agreable with it. Worked right out of the box.