A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Clients and original files

Hey Flashers! How is everyone!

Is there any industry standards regarding clients wanting the original Flash files?
    The reason I'm asking is because a client, who is also a web designer(not flash) wants my original files. I'm not sure if I want to hand them over

Any help would be appreciated

cheers

yeffer

FK Robot Wrangler

sure, but make him pay for it.

All such matters should be decided and a contract drawn up before work commences, me I coudn't care less if a client has my source files. They're either happy with my work or not and in my experience if they're happy they'll come back regardless if they have the source files.

You provide the source code for HTML sites - whats the difference ? Flash is over charged for anyway and I think that designres/developers are scared that people may find out that a 10 second intro shouldn't cost $500 dollars because it's really not that difficult to programme !

Swampy, you have to realize though that while it's not hard for someone who knows Flash to actually program an intro, the client is paying for design skill and your opinions as well. Not eveyone has the skillset to do a professoinal looking intro, or even a crappy one. YOU know Flash, not the client, and they're paying for your time and expertise, don't sell that short.

Thanks for the input

I've decided not to let them have them. Other professionals I've spoke with say that you should never give them out and I'm inclined to agree. In a way it's like Colonel Saunders giving away the recipe for his chicken. We all spend a lot ot time learnig Flash and creating our own unique styles. It's one thing for us to help our fellow Flashers with clips, but I don't think we should be giving away our files for others to fool around with. Our 'Golden Goose' so to speak. If we give them away then we lose our 'Residual' income. People get paid to teach what we know.

Whoever's getting 500 bucks for a 10 second clip should consider themselves very lucky. I only got 1200 for this site http://www.conspiracyguy.com

cheers

yeffer

Austrian Superstar
    You should definetly decide that in advance ... just tell your customer about the prices, and that he'll have to pay more if he wants the source file ...

btw I think 1200 is a fair price for the site ...

Originally posted by PAlexC
    Swampy, you have to realize though that while it's not hard for someone who knows Flash to actually program an intro, the client is paying for design skill and your opinions as well. Not eveyone has the skillset to do a professoinal looking intro, or even a crappy one. YOU know Flash, not the client, and they're paying for your time and expertise, don't sell that short.
    I agree up to a point. But there are a lot of people earning inflated wages for low quality, run of the mill rubbish.

My thoghts

In the 3 years I have been ding pro web design, I have ran into this problem more then I care to admit. My advice is sell him what he wants at a reasonable price. This keeps everyone happy. Next time, however, I would address this issue in your contract. That will protect you from this kind of stuff. Clearly lay out who owns the original files (make this "file specific"; including all types of files used)and what is necessary for the client to obtain said files. Make sure that you also ad a provision that allows you set the price as you see fit OR lay out a price chart for files/hours/price (recommended).

Hope that helps,

Lou C. Fur

FK Board Loser
    this is what most major companies do, this include the corporation I work for

You have to turn in the original design notes, content, images and re-search material once the client signs off on the project. You always want to make a back up of the stuff you have done and keep it on file as well. You never charge them for something they paid for already, that doesn't make sense.. they paid you for your services and that includes that material, unless you paid for the material and that is something you never do. Also you sign an agreement that you will be the owner of the script etc. etc. never ever let anyone patent any of your designs or scripts.. I hope this helps.

I have to ask. Why WOULD a Client want the original files. What good would they do?
    What's to stop them from taking what you have done, making a few changes and calling it there own. For what purpose would they need them? Contract or not. What if they made subtle changes to your work and you sent a potential client to see it and they didnt' like what they saw, thinking it was what you did. Flash isn't like HTML Any yoyo can do HTML Why did Macromedia 'protect' .swf files if not for this reason?

yeffer

Don't give up the file.

Charge 4x for it if they want it.

Unless your contracted exactly for that reason, just do not do it.

It's like saying that you own an artist's sketches, paints, and brushes when they are done.

Originally posted by yeffer
    I have to ask. Why WOULD a Client want the original files. What good would they do?
    What's to stop them from taking what you have done, making a few changes and calling it there own.
    If you've been paid who cares ? be proud about your work, not precious about it.

Agent right on!! That's exactly the way I feel. Being proud of ones work is fine, but that doesn't mean it's ok to give it away, or even charge for it. The client isn't paying for the original(my contract says so) and I see no reason why they would want it.

Incidentally, I haven't done any work for the client. They said that any work would require the source files and I've told them no. As of yet I haven't heard from them and nor do I expect to.

cheers

yeffer

Some people have a hard time seeing why you would charge a client for the .fla's after they pay for the .swf's Here is the point that I don't think a lot of people think about.

Are you selling a SERVICE, or a PRODUCT?

If you are selling a product, then by all means, give them the .fla. Your product would be incomplete with out giving them everything, including the .fla. However, if you are providing a service, then the .fla's are yours.

There are a LOT of professionals out there that do this. For example, professional photographers, who take your family portrait often copyright their work, and tell you that if you try to take the photos else where to make more copes, that you are liable! (At least that is what a lot the pro's do in this part of the wood's).

The fact that in HTML site you always give the client the code is just because in HTML, there is no severing the final product from the production material.

Anyway, I think both ways of doing things are great, but I REALLY agree that you should always put it in the contract.

The way I see it, if you keep the .fla's, and the client leaves, you can always give them the .fla's as a gesture of goodwill. If they are jumping ship because of your prices or such, they may soon be back when they see that you are a better ROI for their money. But a client will never appreciate just giving them the .fla's at the end of the project; it is kind of your last bit of leverage if a client leaves.

Just my take.

Zacvin

Excellent points!! I think the main one that fits me is the point about 'leverage' Even though my contract states that they can't alter/reproduce the original work without my ok, what's to stop them from rejigging it for someone else. The reason why I asked this question in the first place was because my client is a Web designer who doesn't know Flash.

cheers

yeffer