dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: director kills flash?

Have been reading a lot of stuff about director 8.5 and its 3d engine looks and sounds great.
    Is Director ready to wipe flash out, here in the UK most people arn't going to see broadband connections for a couple of years, when it does arrive am I going to have to look for another Job?

I'm a hero like Robert De Niro
    Well... I must say that thought has crossed my mind when I started reading about the new Director and saw some demos but I think Director is way too complex and un-user friendly to catch on like flash did and still is.

3D is fun,nice and sometimes cool but since we are still learning the principals of 2d web design I think it'll take some time till we see some real 3d web design on line and by then maybe Director 10 and Flash 7 will merge to one big application..... Flashactor 11.0 ?

McMurphy

I think it is different!

flash is 2D movie,it is easy,lingo of DIRECTOR is too difficult!

Director's not really THAT difficult, but I don't think it's as well known as Flash is.

"am I going to have to look for another Job?"
    Nope ... but if there's a need for Director skills, you'll just have to take the plunge and learn it

Originally posted by frogg
    Director's not really THAT difficult, but I don't think it's as well known as Flash is.

"am I going to have to look for another Job?"
    Nope ... but if there's a need for Director skills, you'll just have to take the plunge and learn it
    It can only ever be beneficial to multiskill

It's funny, this same conversation took place when Flash 4 and 5 came out, only it was called 'Will Flash kill Director?'

The answer is of course not.

1.) Macromedia would not pit 2 of it's products in direct competition with each other.

2.) Flash and Director are two very unique tools with unique capablities. I cna't think of a single project where you would say you could use either tool. There is ALWAYS a reasont to pick one over the other for a specific project. While Director is more powerful and has a better animation engine, the files are larger, development time is longer, and the plug-in is a bit more cumbersome. Flash is quick, light, and streamable. It's not meant for high-end CD-Rom development with video and advanced programming. They are, however, designed to integrate to a degree with each other.

I don't see either as a threat to anyone except Adobe.

I would learn both...just to be on the safe side.

the traveler
    as long as bandwidth is an issue (and let's admit, it will be for quite a while) flash will always be a force.

lingo blows AS away, that is true, but flash is built for web delivery, not what director was originally made for.

FK Official Postman
    It probabaly is not toomuch of a threat to Adobe beacause many Flash developers use flash and photoshop in tandem. director is probably the best for interactive online games, while for aniimations, movies, and vectors, flash is tops.

The Minister of No Crap

I recently checked out some of Director's 3D samples that Macromedia put on their site. I wasn't too impressed. I mean, I would hate to make people wait for that long of a download just to see some of this stuff.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

Director is bitmap(I think), so the file size is huge. And director was never made to make websites, it's a program for CD-software and games. Flash is totally designed and made to be a website-construct-program.

So no, it will probably not take over Flash.

FK Official Postman
    Director IS bitmap, and the only people that I know who use it have it for CD's and games, like at shockwave.com. And, who would pay the kind of money that dirctor is charging? I could get Photoshop, Flash, and Freehand for that price!