A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Load variable doesn't work in netscape?

Hybrid View

Exclamation

Code:
    on (release) {
        loadMovieNum ("movie.swf", 0, "GET");
        loadVariablesNum ("textfile.txt", 0);
    }
    This script is working perfect for IE 5
    but Netscape doesn't understand it...
    Is there another script that will solve this problem?

This is what the script does:

When you push a button at the navigationbar,
    a new movie will be loaded with an external *.txt
    file in it.

???

Hi,

you are loading a new movie to replace the current one, and at the same time loading text variables into the old one that is going to vanish? Why not have the new movie load its variables

Musicman

Re: ???

Originally posted by Musicman
    Hi,

you are loading a new movie to replace the current one, and at the same time loading text variables into the old one that is going to vanish? Why not have the new movie load its variables

Musicman
    No, I got a main movie with a navigationbar.
    when I open a link on this navigationbar, it will
    load a new movie, with an external *.txt file in it
    to show the right text from the link.

Internet explorer is okay, but Netscape...!!!

Hi,

are you loading the new movie into level _0_ to replace the navigation bar, or are you loading into a different level? I'd interpret your code in the first way

Musicman

bryann380
    Netscape IS the problem. Flash was designed to work only in Internet Explorer.

newest netscape

Originally posted by bryann380
    Netscape IS the problem. Flash was designed to work only in Internet Explorer.
    I just installed the newest netscape, and the script
    is running perfectly on it.
    But people who are using an older version,
    like 4 or 4.7 will not be able to navigate
    in the flashmovie.

Are there some special Actionscripts that I can use for
    Netscape??

Hi,

are you loading the new movie into level _0_ to replace the navigation bar, or are you loading into a different level? I'd interpret your code in the first way

Musicman
    It's level 0, but I already tried a whole lot of scripts, and it still doesn't work for older netscape versions. And the strange thing is that
    these older versions understand asp which are working also
    with variables, so netscape has to understand these flashscripts too.

Or am I wrong???

Hi Matla2000,

I am pretty convinced this can be made to work in N4 browsers. Can you post or mail the URL?

Musicman

Hi Matla2000,

I am pretty convinced this can be made to work in N4 browsers. Can you post or mail the URL?

Musicman
    I can give you the URL but
    I don't think you understand Dutch,..??
    First you have to try it on Internet Explorer,
    and see what's happening, and then Netscape..
    You'll see what I mean.
    And it's not about the big images on the navigationpage,
    but it's about the circles around them..
    You'll see another *.swf, with text in IE and in Netscape
    you can't even click the button..
    but you have to wait a while when the movie is loading..

http://www.sonik.nl/ACx67194876ZFST28959389211478xx007/

As far as I can tell the movie behaves the same in IE 5.5 and Netscape 4.5 (as well as Netscape 3.0, which I generally don't expect anything to work in.)

It's possible I missed the point completely, I've tested the small round buttons that sit on the edges of the images on the main page, which send me to various pages of info.

The original code seems to work (locally) on my computer in the three mentioned browsers.

I haven't tested it on Netscape 4 or 4.7 so there might be a problem there. Theoretically it could be a flash-plugin related problem , I'm using Flash 5.0 r41.

Regards,
    HC

This is only a theory, but could it have anything to do with where you place the files relative to the swf file? Could be something similar to the problems with linking stylesheets into html and referencing images from the strylesheet.

If for instance you have placed your swf files in a sub-folder called 'my_swf_files', and the embed-tag in the html-document says something like src="my_swf_files/my_file.swf", then what is the current folder? The folder where the html is, or the 'my_swf_files' folder? Unfortunately, I don't have an older version of Netscape here now, so I can't try it... :\

But, if you're files are in different sub-folders, try putting them together in one folder, or use absolute paths in your AS. If all your files is in the same directory, I don't know...

--
    @ndre

Originally posted by headgonenumb
    As far as I can tell the movie behaves the same in IE 5.5 and Netscape 4.5 (as well as Netscape 3.0, which I generally don't expect anything to work in.)

It's possible I missed the point completely, I've tested the small round buttons that sit on the edges of the images on the main page, which send me to various pages of info.

The original code seems to work (locally) on my computer in the three mentioned browsers.

I haven't tested it on Netscape 4 or 4.7 so there might be a problem there. Theoretically it could be a flash-plugin related problem , I'm using Flash 5.0 r41.

Regards,
    HC
    The site is working in netscape 3.0????
    That's weird,..
    unfortunetly I don't have netscape 3.0, so I can't test it

but thanks for your help
    And I made a misstake somewhere, cuz I didn't
    test the site on netscape 4.7, only 4,..
    so maybe it's only 4...

[Edited by Matla2000 on 05-10-2001 at 09:18 AM]

it's probably just that the Netscape you are using has the v4 Flash plugin rather than the version 5.

right click on the swf and see what comes up in the context menu.

- n.

Originally posted by enemem

it's probably just that the Netscape you are using has the v4 Flash plugin rather than the version 5.

right click on the swf and see what comes up in the context menu.

- n.
    That's it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I had the shockwave 3 player installed!!!!!!!
    Why didn't I thought of that before??!
    Thanks man!!!!

Hi Matla2000,

that's a nice one - in particular the story about the small witch riding on the toothbrush. (I am native german, so I can understand about half of it and try to guess the other half)
    You have got a few pages as popups that no not display fully with my text settings, but don't get a scrollbar either

BTW: aren't these magic spells in the swf embedding meant to make sure you download the proper player even on Netscape. Why do I need all of that if I will just view movie with wrong player? To get THAT effect, a simple
    <embed src="movie.swf" width=xxx height=xxx>
    is sufficient for both browsers, so , please, MM, why do we have to write all that bull**** if it simply does nothing?

Musicman
    [Edited by Musicman on 05-10-2001 at 07:53 PM]

Hi Matla2000,

that's a nice one - in particular the story about the small witch riding on the toothbrush. (I am native german, so I can understand about half of it and try to guess the other half)
    You have got a few pages as popups that no not display fully with my text settings, but don't get a scrollbar either

BTW: aren't these magic spells in the swf embedding meant to make sure you download the proper player even on Netscape. Why do I need all of that if I will just view movie with wrong player? To get THAT effect, a simple
    is sufficient for both browsers, so , please, MM, why do we have to write all that bull**** if it simply does nothing?

Musicman
    [Edited by Musicman on 05-10-2001 at 07:53 PM]
    This site was especially made for children
    who are going to the dentest here in the Netherlands.
    Our purpose is to tell them that they don't have
    to be afraid to go to the dentest, and that it should be fun! It's not finished yet, but soon it will be online.
    I still have to make a better portal, and some more soundfx
    will come. I will work on the scrolling problem!
    If you find some other problems, please let me now.

Thanks for taking a look!

Apparently Netscape doesn't support plug-in detection. Or at least doesn't support it well enough to be very useful to developers. To detect the version I think you need to use the files from macromedia's flash deployment kit:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...oyment_readme/

I haven't really tested it myself so I don't know what limitations there are, but at least it seems to do a better job than the default html-code that flash generates.

HC

And for Flash 6, I hereby request the publish setting: I want this to work everywhere!.

Hi headgonenumb,

unlike IE, Netscape has plugin (and mime type) detection in Javascript (with IE, you have to do some vbscript to detect whether a specific plugin is available; I still have not found a way to detect whether there is ANY plugin to handle a specific mime type - for files that could be handled by different players)
    Looking at the "aboutlugins" page, there is the version of the plugin as well, so it seems that the <embed> mechanism just is not sufficient for the job. I wish MM would put a statement in their docs "to ensure you get the required version of plugin, do this as part of your movie" rather than just offer the export to web option and making people believe this is sufficient.

Musicman

Apparently Netscape doesn't support plug-in detection. Or at least doesn't support it well enough to be very useful to developers. To detect the version I think you need to use the files from macromedia's flash deployment kit:

Thank you for that URL!!
    I can use that perfectly

I haven't really tested it myself so I don't know what limitations there are, but at least it seems to do a better job than the default html-code that flash generates.

HC

And for Flash 6, I hereby request the publish setting: I want this to work everywhere!.

HC

Why don't you use it anyway??
    Have you found a better script?