A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: To all newbies: forget flash, swish 2 is on the way

The bottom line is, Swish is a nice 'add-on' program, that can complement a larger design suite like Flash nicely, but by itself it is nothing special. It can do some nifty effects, but nothing that can't be done in Flash. It basically takes frequently performed operations that can be time consuming to do normally, such as 3D animations, and makes them easier to do for people who can't/don't want to use a program like 3dsmax. And if you plan on ever getting a job as a multimedia web developer, you better know how to use flash pretty well, just like someone who wants a good job making webpages better know how to write HTML, and not just use a code generating program like FrontPage or Dreamweaver.

// textpad 4 life!!

i think that both flash and swish are excellent programs, both with their own unique way of reaching the same goal. i have used flash and swish in conjunction with each other for some time, but do still treat swish as an add-on to flash, maybe my view on things would change if i tried swish 2.

what i would like to see is the two companies merge, and integrate swish and flash into one another, so the effects made in swish are created in flash and integrated into the fla file, as importing a swish animation into flash as a swf file just wastes file size, and is very inconvenient especially when it comes to positioning. although some people want to see swish emerge as a program in its own right, it seems to me that all people really want is all the advanced features of flash, with the advanced animation creation and ease of use/time-saving of swish. why wait for the extra features to be added to either one of the two independant programs, whereas if the two companies merged, and pooled their resources a much superior program would emerge. this would ultimately benifit both the producers of the software and the end-user.

you could even go one step further and say that swift3D could be built into this package, and hey-presto super flash is born with every feature that a flash developer could dream of.

Smile

That would honestly be the best if you were to merge Swish and Flash together with the great ease with Swish and the great effects from flash 5, interesting.....That would be awesome and also if you were to put 3D Studio Max on that list too, you would have the best Flash program by far. And everybody would be buying it like madd and people would be going crazy on the streets... ,lol. But seriously that would be crazy if Macromedia or a big flash corp were to buy Swish Corp out and merge the two programs or even 3D Studio Max were to buy out Swish. Very interesting.....

what about an Apple verision

Great software. It sound good to me....but where is the Apple version of this software? If I have a good software running on top of unreliable OS like Windows then I see no advantages.....

No man there is not a Mac version, and it seems that it will never be. Just promises of Swish guys...kind of lie, not promises.

Any one else (Mac people) wants to legaly demand Swish guys for lying for more than a year?

Well, just to make a point. If someones fell better using Flash, use it. If not use Swish. And if you want to use both, use both of them!!!

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by manutara
    No man there is not a Mac version, and it seems that it will never be. Just promises of Swish guys...kind of lie, not promises.

Any one else (Mac people) wants to legaly demand Swish guys for lying for more than a year?

Well, just to make a point. If someones fell better using Flash, use it. If not use Swish. And if you want to use both, use both of them!!!
    Lies? What lies?

As far as I know, the position of SWiSH has been that we have no immediate plans for a Mac version because

a) there would need to be a major re-write of the user-interface to allow single source for both Mac and PC. That would mean stopping work on current SWiSH development for several months while we port, so there would be no development of new features for SWiSH.

c) there is (to my knowledge) no-one available in Australia with the expertise to convert a program to dual Mac/PC interface.

See the statement at the SWiSH web site

http://www.swishzone.com/mac.html

Dear Macintosh Owners

We have not begun the porting process to the Macintosh.

As SWiSH is mostly user interface code, this means that very little of SWiSH will port directly. We have to rewrite 80% of SWiSH. This means that the Macintosh version of SWiSH will not be completed before January of 2002. The original 1.0 PC release of SWiSH took 13 months to write.

We are also well aware of general facts surrounding the Macintosh marketplace (current hardware speed, numbers of designers using the Macintosh, operating system advances, Apples marketing efforts and so forth) We'd really prefer not to have to argue about our original decision to start with the PC, as there is absolutely nothing we can do about it now! We'd prefer to spend our support time supporting our paying PC customers - who are supporting us whilst we port to the mac.

SWiSH appears to run well in softwindows and virtual PC. (we haven't extensively tested this) SWiSH output - .swf - are compatible with macintosh browsers and the macintosh version of Macromedia Flash 4.0

Please don't email us regarding the Macintosh version, there is nothing more than the above we can tell you!

Swish Support
    I think that it is pretty clear, and that there is no commitment to a Mac version at this time .. and even if there was, it could not be ready until next year anyway .. but it is something we would like to support in the future.

Over a year ago, when the original Swish 1.0 PC was release this was the answer to Mac owners. This page has not cahange since, has it?

NO!!!

http://www.swishzone.com/faq.html

Q. Is a Mac version planned?
    A. A Mac version is probably a year away or more. SWFs created by Swish will play on a Mac, and can be imported into the Mac version of Flash.
    So don't come now with "Lies? What lies?" to me.
    Just shut up, sorry…stop writing and justifying in something you know you are wrong. Please, just stop!!!

Smile

As far as we all know there are a lot of great flash programs coming out these days, so as it comes to my attention there's this new program that someone on one of my threads
    told me about that's really great when it comes down to the best flash animation program and it's called CHROM-OS which apparently comes from Germany and is in German which is a big problem. So I downloaded it anyways just to check it out and it honeslty looks really good so I sent them an e-mail asking them when they're gonna come out with an english version. So for who-ever checks this site out and likes what they see, please e-mail them asking about the english version. The more the response the more likely they'll make a version for english speaking people. Oh yeah if you check this site be sure to check out their "Galerie" for examples... Well gotta go for now, Cya!!

http://www.ramraver.com

Remeber when I wrote that, well a month or two has pasted
    and well I'm right. It happened, goto http://www.ramraver.com . Now they have an engish version for their unique software and now they have an english site all to the thanx of me........Thnx All !!!

TRJNET -=JJB90=- SNYPA -=-_-=-
    http://welcome.to/swish-net
    P.S Foregot to mention thanx to everyone else that did the same thing....!!!!!
    [Edited by TRJNET on 07-06-2001 at 09:46 AM]

Smile

Oh yeah by the way, I will make the un-official Chrom-Os Forum in Flashkit Lounge right now....

I think u guys will like this program...
    http://www.ramraver.com

TRJNET -=JJB90=- SNYPA -=-_-=-
    http://welcome.to/swish
    (Its being edited right now !)
    [Edited by TRJNET on 07-06-2001 at 09:47 AM]

Yep Yep. You people are correct swish is cheaper, but what do you guys think is going to happen when swish catches up with flash. You don't honestly feel that a program that is as good as flash is still only going to cost 30 bucks. The price is going to take quite the jump. And as for the Macintosh issue (i am a pc user) Swish should have thought of this issue in the beginning. It is my thought that the developers were just looking for some fast cash and didnt plan ahead. Macs are industry standard still. PCs may be catching up, thank god, but you can't beat the performance of a mac when it comes to graphics. So when the price jumps then post a thread that states that you were wrong in a sense and that we were right in saying that you get what you pay for and swish is to flash as walmart is to gouchi betta quality requires an investment.

Can't we all just get along???!!??
    Seriously,
    I use both Flash and Swish. Sure I could sit at my hardware for hours with a slow drip IV full of leaded coffee, or I could generate the same text effects in Swish and then incorporate them into my design within the time it takes for my coffee to cool. I have married these two programs together and it has been blissful. Flash nor Swish will ever make the other extinct, as they will both contribute to the world of design in very similar ways. The smart designer will take a handfull of programs and integrate their strengths to make the job easier. Better performance + good design + quicker completion time= more ca$h. If a designer hasn't learned that formula by the first few months of design, then they'll be the ones extinct very quickly. So, I say bring 'em on. Keep making programs that make what I enjoy doing easier, quicker and more effecient.

Good show my friend. I do agree 100%. But hey without war or conflict there would be no excitment in the world. Although we could do without the war.

Originally posted by pea3698
    Good show my friend. I do agree 100%. But hey without war or conflict there would be no excitment in the world. Although we could do without the war.
    I do love a good competition!

psx = new Moderator();

FlashGial

hey,
    $1500!?
    Hit me up with an email, I'll teach you everything you ever wanted to know how to do in flash.

psychlonex@yahoo.com

I just can't stand seeing people spend that much dough on something they could learn a whole heck of a lot cheaper!

psx

swish is for kids who want the same txt effects as hundrends of others. so much for originality or creativity.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by fpanko
    swish is for kids who want the same txt effects as hundrends of others. so much for originality or creativity.
    Pathetic argument .. that sounds like the attitude of a little kid.

A tool doesn't make you creative or original .. it is the person!! SWiSH (V2) lets you be very creative indeed .. and it makes it EASIER to be creative.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by manutara
    Over a year ago, when the original Swish 1.0 PC was release this was the answer to Mac owners. This page has not cahange since, has it?

NO!!!

http://www.swishzone.com/faq.html

Q. Is a Mac version planned?
    A. A Mac version is probably a year away or more. SWFs created by Swish will play on a Mac, and can be imported into the Mac version of Flash.
    So don't come now with "Lies? What lies?" to me.
    Just shut up, sorry…stop writing and justifying in something you know you are wrong. Please, just stop!!!
    Shut up .. I mean .. stop typing yourself !!!

"A Mac version is probably a year away or more"

So where it the lie ????

You've just justified my claim. Think about what you're saying before you call someone a LIAR again !!!

End of subject. You're not worth arguing with any further.

Originally posted by flashtrack
    Can't we all just get along???!!??
    Seriously,
    I use both Flash and Swish. Sure I could sit at my hardware for hours with a slow drip IV full of leaded coffee, or I could generate the same text effects in Swish and then incorporate them into my design within the time it takes for my coffee to cool. I have married these two programs together and it has been blissful. Flash nor Swish will ever make the other extinct, as they will both contribute to the world of design in very similar ways. The smart designer will take a handfull of programs and integrate their strengths to make the job easier. Better performance + good design + quicker completion time= more ca$h. If a designer hasn't learned that formula by the first few months of design, then they'll be the ones extinct very quickly. So, I say bring 'em on. Keep making programs that make what I enjoy doing easier, quicker and more effecient.
    dont you find it hard to play around with imported swish files? i have found it quite annoying.. plus i am strict about my file size.. i dont know.. its more of a disfunctional marriage when it comes to my swish and flash.. my flash would rather work hard and die single i guess.. i hope the new swish (if its ever released) will help out a little.. i doubt it though. peace.

Originally posted by fpanko
    and so much for hard work and being proud of what you have done. plus going through and doing it yourself teaches you something new everytime you sit down and spend 5 hours doing an effect that would take 3 minutes in swish. right? thats what i have found at least.i love flash and wont give it up for some wanna be program that does everything for you.. its sorta like a robot that does your homework.. i mean do you really want it.. cuz ya you get the work done but what have you learned from it? whats the point of doing homework? peace.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by JMulhern

dont you find it hard to play around with imported swish files?
    The only difficulty would be due to limitations of Flash (and the SFW format) itself.

One can always use Load Movie instead to combine SWF files at playing time.
    i have found it quite annoying.. plus i am strict about my file size.. i dont know.. its more of a disfunctional marriage when it comes to my swish and flash.. my flash would rather work hard and die single i guess.. i hope the new swish (if its ever released) will help out a little.. i doubt it though. peace.
    SWiSH V2 does a much better job of file size optimisation. Probably about as good as one can get without action scripting. But if we used action scripting, you wouldn't be able to import into Flash at all (because flash strip actions on import).