Thread: To all newbies: forget flash, swish 2 is on the way

"you got beat by a girl" - konoko

swish 1.5 = baby flash on rails
    swish 2.0 = baby flash on flexible rails
    flash 5.0 = flash hovercraft

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by naoneo
    flash 1, swish 0
    What ever you reckon .. you'd already made up your minds about it .. no victory there .. its quite sad really.

flash 2, swish 0

sorry, just loaded them both up.. enough said

Old dog learning new tricks

Maybe this thread should move to the coffee lounge or even better in a new forum called "General Fights"
    It is surely not helping the newbies and is getting really personal.

hehe, wasnt me!

You can have my Flash program when you pry it from my dead cold hands.............I tried the demo(Swish)it's ok....when the full version comes out I'll buy it....I will use it in conjunction with Flash BUT Swish is obviously meant to be an extra tool not a replacement for Flash. A lot of people got their panties in a wad over this thread, I thought we were ALL of some intellectual capacity...I guess I was wrong again.....sorry
    [Edited by Barefootcity on 07-06-2001 at 03:24 AM]

[/QUOTE]
    The time required to do things in Flash that are quick and easy to do in SWiSH is a big limitation (or at best a hinderance).

What doesn't SWiSH do? As of initial V2 release the main limitations wrt Flash are: morphing, Flash 5 action-scripting, forms, database backends.

Use both tools, and you'll have less limitations .. I never said to throw Flash away .. use BOTH tools as most appropriate. Doesn't anyone get it ?

Are these Flash fanatics so brainwashed or blinded by the time and resources they've devoted to learning Flash that they either don't want to or unable to see the benefits other tools can give them?
    [/B][/QUOTE]

I get it Roger!
    People, listen... Flash has moderate drawing capabilities, but I wouldn't use it to replace my graphics programs. However I do use it in conjuction to finalize my graphics, tweek them and make them better. No one is saying that SWISH is trying or will ever replace Flash or vis-a-versa. It is just another option for individuals to use to get certain design aspects done, and then they can concentrate on the meat of a project which is the high end Flash content that we have all come to know and love. I agree that there needs to be some pride in your work, but there is no dishonor in using multiple tools (whether SWISH, PS, SWIFT3D, etc) to spice up those presentations or cutting edge sites. As I have said before " The smart designer will take a handfull of programs and integrate their strengths to make the job easier. Better performance + good design + quicker completion time= more ca$h. If a designer hasn't learned that formula extinction is emmenent. Or at lease a smaller banking account. So don't be scared by products that seem to perform similiar tasks as Flash. They WILL NOT replace Flash....Let me repeat that "They WILL NOT replace Flash... so don't get upset. Take pride in your designs...not how you design them............

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by flashtrack

I get it Roger!
    Glad to hear it .. I didn't think I was saying anything unreasonable here.
    So don't be scared by products that seem to perform similiar tasks as Flash. They WILL NOT replace Flash....Let me repeat that "They WILL NOT replace Flash... so don't get upset.
    That's right .. SWF authoring is a big market, with lots of different people with different requirements doing different things. There is room for a number of tools each targetting different market areas. The sort of person who is a hardcore flasher (if you pardon the expression) would probably not want SWiSH. But that doesn't mean that SWiSH isn't appropriate for many other people .. nor that it cannot be used in conjunction with other tools.
    Take pride in your designs...not how you design them............
    Exactly !!! Thanks for restoring my faith in Flash users There's no need for the fighting .. there's plenty of room for all and for us to work together. If we want to ***** about someone .. then that's what BIl Gates is for

Lightbulb

your ego ridden outbursts
    This is not worth pursuing .. I've had enough of the attitude here.

Yeah, I'm with Roger. These are just opinions I might add too, but it's also sometimes good for a little creative criticism but a little too much starts to get annoying after a while. Good point Roger...

TRJNET -=JJB90=- SNYPA -=-_-=-
    http://welcome.to/swish-net
    (being edited right now)

forget swish, forget flash, forger everything

design is based on imagination, if you lack that, dont bother

forget swish, forget flash, forger everything

design is based on imagination, if you lack that, dont bother
    You know what? One day I went to the Getty museum here in L.A., they had a "painting" by some guy hanging on the wall. The museum had paid a huge amount to aquire it from another museum who had paid a huge amount to obtain it, etc. It was displayed in a prominent area for all to see.....

It was done with chaulk.

[Edited by VacMan on 07-07-2001 at 11:39 AM]

Originally posted by roger_onslow
    It depends on what you want to do. And who says (certainly not me) that you have to the development of a site entirely with the one tool?

Certainly many people use SWiSH for authoring the SWF content for commercial work.

And you still don't get it .. use SWiSH for what swish does best .. text and graphic effects, vector graphics, sprites and buttons, (simple) mouse interaction and action.

Use Flash for what it does best .. forms, database backend support, complex action scripting.

You don't HAVE to use the one tool for everything. Just because you CAN do something in Flash doesn't mean you HAVE to do it, nor does it mean that Flash is the BEST way to perform that task.

Just because a product is inexpensive, that doesn't mean it is a toy.

Don't limit your creativity .. go beyond Flash.
    you just say all this because you developed swish huh? i mean come on you know swish is for the weak. you can just admit it here and now.

resolved

k well mr. swish i think i would get all mad too if someone was like totally bashin on the program that i helped develop but you gotta understand thats what its like. cuz you dont see people go into the flash board and be like.. you guys are lazy you should use swish.. yatta yatta.. big long fight.. but i see what your sales pitch is.. peace.

Uh....Is there a moderator in the house? Can we dispose of this thread? It's giving me a headache.

i second that.

Cool

Originally posted by JMulhern
    k well mr. swish i think i would get all mad too if someone was like totally bashin on the program that i helped develop but you gotta understand thats what its like. cuz you dont see people go into the flash board and be like.. you guys are lazy you should use swish.. yatta yatta.. big long fight.. but i see what your sales pitch is.. peace.
    Lets leave it at this, all these programs mentioned are all good for every level of flash designer, so who cares whether or not newbies use swish or whatever, so what, big deal.... I first started off with Swish when I got into the whole flash shabang, and now I'm using Swish Beta 5B (V2) , Flash 5.0, and last but not least CHROM-OS. So all these programs are great for everybody depending on your level of expertise.

So for those of you that are just talking madd shi!%*t for no reason, at a guy that created a good flash designing program, give me a break grow up for god sakes and get a life. U just don't start blaming or criticing people for a program that they like or they developed even though it might be a little bit aimed for certain users. It's like somebody telling me I suc at what I do or at what I design. That's honestly BS for all I care. Flash web designing is fun, and I wouldn't care about what other people would say about the program I use in particular.

And u know what, I would be be pretty damn madd if someone was basically telling me I'm a moron. You go Roger !!! Don't listen to some of these people that don't realize u might have put in a lot of time and effort into your work. Thanx for your time and mad respects to all for listening for what I had to say...

TRJNET -=JJB90=- SNYPA -=-_-=-
    http://welcome.to/swish-net
    (its being edited right now)
    Swish V2 + Flash 5.0 + CHROM-OS = Good Flash Designing !

Originally posted by TRJNET
    Swish V2 + Flash 5.0 + CHROM-OS = Good Flash Designing ! [/B]
    actually..
    good concept + artistic ability + any flash utility = Good Flash Design.
    you can have all the programs and still produce crap. yep you can even have swish and create crap. but i just want to apologize to roger for arguing so much. and i do plan on buying v2. i just dont want newbies to think its a replacement.. like what this thread is entitled. sorry to anyone that i have pissed off. i didnt intend to but when i read the title of this thread i was like.. no.. but !~ peace. so swish v2 is comin out in 5 days? !? peace

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    forget swish, forget flash, forget everything
    design is based on imagination, if you lack that, don't bother
    Originally posted by JMulhern actually..
    good concept + artistic ability + any flash utility = Good Flash Design.
    Well .. I think we can all agree on that one .. Why .. I even agree with naoneo

wow, didn't mean to cause so much controversy! My opinion remains the same. I have Flash, have used it for a while, my friends have used, and they are switching to swish 2 after it's release. Like Roger Onslow says, Flash is a great tool to use with Swish. And I bet Swish 2 will be a winner. Actionscripting, I am sure is in the future plans, as read in David Michie's interview in Flashkit. Once that is in, there is no holding back. Forget Flash, Swish 2 is nearly here!

go to http://www.swishzone.com and see it for yourself.