A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: To all newbies: forget flash, swish 2 is on the way

>>No one is saying that SWISH is trying or will ever replace Flash or vis-a-versa.<<

I thought that this is EXACTLY what some/a lot people seem to be saying!

They aren't going to change their minds since - just as there are those who detest Microsoft no matter what - there seem to be plenty of people who detest Macromedia for the same obscure reasons.

There is a place for anything Flash-related that people can use. I'll carry on using Swish, Flax, and anything else that takes my fancy as a companion to Flash as required.

And no amount of anarchic or subjective rambling from people will change my view on that (even if they officially represent one of the concerned parties ).

Re: Well...

Originally posted by AGENT 02
    FlashGial:

$1500 is a good hunk of cash - and only one class is even remotely close to being worth that much cash (The Ojai Digital Arts Center).

If you aren't going to Ojai for a Flash class - you are wasting your cash - but that doesn't mean that you should abandon Macromedia Flash either.

-A02
    I totally agree! I just finished a few Flash classes at the digital arts center through linda.com
    The best learning experience Ive ever had. Awesome class.
    By the way. Does swish have any scripting capabilities? If not, then why abandon Flash? Thats totally dumb.

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by Visionray
    By the way. Does swish have any scripting capabilities?
    Sorta .. it has simple actions (like play sound, goto frame, if frame loaded, load movie, tell target etc) and events (frame and mouse).

In the initial v2 release there is no support for variables and hence no forms or script-driven effects.

Of course, the effect SWiSH has (that are not script-based) are quite powerful. SWiSH users are able to do quite complicated swf's without full scripting. Not everyone needs it.

SWiSH is likely to include scripting (with variables and forms) in a later release.
    If not, then why abandon Flash? Thats totally dumb.

Then don't abandon Flash .. but don't disregard SWiSH as a tool either. For many people who just want to be able to do have some nice animations or develop a menu/ui system for their site, SWiSH provided them with a gret tool to get this job done relatively quickly.