A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: scanlines effect

resolved

how do people do that cool scanlines effect - you know where an image looks like its being shown through a TV (kinda).

I assume its a photoshop plug-in or something....where can I get it?

cheers
    Jon

Alright, it is a photoshop thing, though not a plugin. Follow the bouncing ball:

in photoshop:

create a 500x500 image

get into the channels layer and break yoself off a new channel

create a 3pt line, horizontal across the page

select the whole ine, plus about 2 extra pixels below it

once selected, go into the top menus and choose "define pattern"

open a new channel, select the whole damn thing, and then do a fill - select "pattern" and fill it

load that channel as a layer

fill it with whatever

the gaussian blur it about 2 pixels

thar ya go

if that doesn't work, there's a fullsome tutorial on phong.com

cheers

Hey, I use this method, I think it makes a little more sense than the above description. Only thing is, the link was dead, and I have notified them of this, so I think it should get corrected. I actually have the turotial saved on my comp. at work, and I will see if that is working in the morning.

mg33

Beyond the Sea
    Holy cow, what happened to phong? I tried to access it a few times and it says I don't have permission to view the site...I used to visit it all the time. Maybe it's just not working for me:
    http://www.phong.com

There are more tutorials on this sort of thing here:
    http://www.screamdesign.com

Rich

I heard Phong is down for revisions - should be back up soon - strange that he didn't even put a marker in to indicate that it was down.

Okay, well, the place I got that tutorial to do the scanlines was at techdevelopers.com and the link is still not there for the scanlines, and funny thing is, I did not know it is this phong you are speaking of, but it is. Well, I may have the tutorial saved at work, I;ll have to see.

mg33

There is a much simpler process, just duplicate the effected layer.
    Apply the filter "Halftone Pattern" (path is -filter/sketch/halftone pattern) in this dialog box change the pattern type to line (this gives you the effect). Now change the layer mode to Overlay, then pat your self on the back. Keep in mind the halftone pattern uses white and the foreground color, so before you take time to do the work make sure you have an asthetic foreground color selected.

Beyond the Sea

wow.

very nice tip. I'd never used that filter that way!

thanks, mykscholze,
    Rich

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

nice ideas, if you want to cheat do a search on the net for the " xenofx" photoshop plugin, it has that effect and quite a few more nice ones..