A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Movie clip problem for a newbie!!!HELP

Hi,
    I am facing a very big problem. I am unable to create a non-static movie clip which I could add on to my main movie. Can anybody help me with it? Plus can you tell me whether you can motion tween an animated movie clip? I have Flash 5 just for the sake of your info. Please help me.

resolved

Hey man,

I've never been really posetive on that whole static thing. But I do know that if you've created your movie clip (where when you double click it, you're now inside of it[I don't know how new you are]), then you can select your movie clip from the _root timeline, or whatever movie clip it is in, and just make a motion tween out of it. The same way you would with any old object that you want to shoot across the screen.

Hope this helps man

Reply by Shivboy
    Hey man,

Thanx a ton! It worked man! I got one more question. Can you scale an object while motion tweening?
    Hope you can help me out.

just use the transform panel. You'll find it under the "window" menu under "panels". You can use it to scale your tween.

good luck

YES!

You can scale, fade, tint, rotate, and whatever else is in the effects panel. (window>panels>effects)

ONe thing that is key is making sure you have a keyframe in the part of the tween you want to scale it to. So if all you have is a beginning and ending keyframe in your tween. Don't do anything to either. Hold control, and click in the middle of your tween (or wherever you want it to scale to) and then hit f6 (insert keyframe). Then click the keyframe you just created (it should select the contents of that keyframe) and then scale the object to your preference. It will scale to that, and then back down if you still have the beginning and ending keyframes the same. And obviously, if you want the object to scale and stay there, just change the last keyframe in the tween to scale to whatever your heart desires.

It might take a little getting used to, the holding control to click a single keyframe, or holding alt when dragging frames to copy, but these are essential things to know.

Hope this helps d-o-double G,

adamJohn

Just one more thing.

If you right click any object with any tool...there will be "scale" and "rotate" right there for your ease of use and less of a headache.

I'M OUT...PIZZNEACE,

adamJOhn

Thanx a ton guys!!!

Originally posted by Shivboy

Thanx a ton guys! It was really helpful of you all. Tell me, what is the difference between Angular and Distributive Shape Tweening? I shape tweened a square into a circle. It worked like a morphing effect. it was cool! but i just could not differentiate between these 2 blends. i tried them both. Thanx in advance.

Hey man,

Thanks for saying thanks, lol. Everyone that knows about Flash, knows that EVERYONE needs a helping hand. Except me, I did everything on my own, lol...yea right.

Umm, I found this in the help manual for the differences between the two.

Note: Angular is appropriate only for blending shapes with sharp corners and straight lines. If the shapes you choose do not have corners, Flash reverts to distributive shape tweening.

Good luck shiv-dog

adamJohn

Smile Hey!

Hey Still Under The Table,

Thanks again first of all for replying the query. Second, y u call me "shiv-dog"? Third, what do you do and where u from?

Have you been to http://www.flash-labs.com ? If you have been there, you must have observed that in the animation on the main page, they show a star glowing very brightly and then the glow decreases and some text appears from the center of the star. How do you think they do it? Images? Nah! I dun think so. What do u say D-O-G Under The Table? lol.

Hey I made an .swf of that file if you would like to see it??

Gimmie your E-mail address. Mine is Adam@neutechnet.com

And I call you shiv-dog, just cause it's fun. I never call people by their real names. Ummm...I just went to that site, it was pretty cool. Check out http://www.estudio.com it'll blow your mind!!

I am an 18 year old graphic designer/web animator from Clarkston, Michigan. That's what I do, lol.

Peace out Shizniv-diznog,

D-O-G Under The Table
    [Edited by Still Under The Table on 05-11-2001 at 02:55 PM]

Hey sure send me over man! I'd love to view it! My e-mail address is shivendralal@usa.net . So you are a web animator huh? Cool man! Wish I could be one too! You need hell lot of creativity for that. I've been to estudio.com . It's an awesome site! Have you been to http://www.thevoid.co.uk ? That site rocks man! Actually I decided to learn Flash after viewing that site. Awesome work man! Hey tell me how do you create 3D models in Flash and above all, HOW DO YOU MAKE THEM SPIN???? I'll wait for youe reply man!

[B]
    Hey Still Under The Table, Come OVER the table and i would like to shake hands with ya man! Thanx a ton for that nice file! I really got to learn a lot, no doubt! Can you believe it that to me masking was some high funda until I saw your file? I had never imagined that it was so easy. Anyway, I got a question for you. That image of a star glowing at the back, was it a transparent image made in Photoshop or something? Hey if I send you over a file of mine, could you view it and let me know how was it and what more further can be done to give it a professional look?

resolved

Well!

You're very welcome sir :::handhsake::: Masking ISN'T hard at all, you're right. And there's a lot of visual effects possibilities with masks.

That star was all created in Flash. If you make a circle, and fill it with a radial gradient...you can change colors and alphas(transparency) and space them out and what not. Make sure you have your fill panel, and your mixer panel open (Flash 5). Just go to windows>panels>fill (fill) and windows>panels>mixer (mixer) hehe. I always just go to windows>panel sets>default layout. And then you can separate the tabs into whatever groups you want them to be in. It helps a lot more if the fill and stroke tabs are in different groups than the mixer tab...so you can compare colors and arrangements between the two without having to click back and forth on the tabs.

Anyway. If you go into the star (double click it) you'll see that it's just a grouped vector graphic created in flash, and over top of it is some cheezy little white star thingie that I messed with the gradients in. I made it a graphic, then copied it to that I could tween 2 of them and make it look cooler.

Remember: the computer only has to download a graphic, movie clip, and a button once. All the rest just flow. Kinda like, If everyones name was John...you'd only have to learn it once, then you'd know all the rest, you wouldn't have to stop and ask "who the hell are you?"

And once you make something a graphic or a movie clip (and I think maybe a button too) you can go to your effects tab and change the tint, alpha and so on. THis makes it easier to use the same image over and over and over without people knowing it ^..^

Good luck.

adamJohn

Oh yea. Send that thing to Adam@neutechnet.com if you still want me to check it out.

Star

Hey buddy i read your reply. I am facing a lot problem in creating that star. Can you guide me through it again? Here's what I did:
    1. Created a radial fill of white to black.
    2. Used it in a circle
    3. Now here comes the problem. If I normally make changes in the alpha, it just doesnt change after the first time it is changed. You have to undo what u have done. So I converted it to a symbol. But still it isnt giving the kind of effects you have had in that star. I tried all the effects possible in the "effects" tab.
    So let me know what is the mistake im doing here. I tried the same thing in Photoshop too but it didnt work there either. Well, to be honest, Im not very good at Photoshop at all! It's robust menus just scare me to the bone! Waiting for your reply.

Shivboy.

Maybe I was a little shady on my explination, I apologise my friend.

When you make the circle in Flash. Just double click the stroke (line around the outside) and hit delete. That way you only have the fill left. Not double click the fill and lets go to work...

1. Make sure your fill, and mixer panels are open.
    2. Make sure your fill is on 'radial gradient' NOT 'linear gradient'
    3. Make the gradient colors whatever you want them to be. For the sake of simplicity, we'll just use all white. Create like four gradient tabs (you start out with two [correct?] and then if you just click in the middle of the color bar, another will appear). The color on the left of the gradient bar is the color that will be in the middle of your circle. And the color on the right, naturally, is the color that it fades into on the outside.

4. Now select one of the gradient tabs, and look for your mixer panel. If your gradient tab is still selected you should be able to select the fill option (bottom left of the mixer panel) and then adjust the alpha slider (bottom right).

The effect of the glowing blue ring (which is probably making you crazy, as it did to me) in the star is just a matter of adding the right colors and transparencies. I made the middle of my fill some whites/grays and made the outside whites/grays, but right inside the outside colors, I made a few different blue transparencies and made them rather close together.

If you are working in Flash 5, you should be able to open the file I sent you, and double-click your way into the star until you can select that damn raw, adjustable fill in there. Then you can look at my alphas, and how my gradient tabs are arranged and everything. You may even be able to improve my quick little peice of crap.

5. The little star thing that's spinning over top of the glowing star, is just a 'star-type' shape I made with the pen tool, and then added a radial gradient.

Note: You can add a radial gradient to any vector graphic, it doesn't have to be a circle.

Note: Check out the paint bucket tool. And when you click it, look in the options panel just below the toolbox. You can click a littl thing that has a 'G' and a little arrow <--> on an angle (Flash 5). This converts the bucket tool into a gradient changing tool. If you click on your vector graphic, you can scale, rotate, and flatten your gradient. Play with that tool, it comes in VERY handy.

My hands are cramping up and my boss is gonna shove his foot in my ass if I don't get to work. So, I'd better go. Go through all the steps if you can. Write back and tell me if this helps.

Good luck shiv-o-matic,

Still Under The Table <--This is a reference to Dame Matthews Band's lyric "Playing under the table and dreaming". I THINK you were the one that asked that!?

adamJohn

P.S. What's your name? Where are you from? How old are you? What the hell does shivboy mean?

Answer any of the above if you care to.

Another prob

HI,
    How r ya man? Im back again with a problem. How do you create those effects of two parts of a screen slide up and down and behind them an animatioan starts to appear? I hope u got my point. And by the way, did u get the mail i sent?
    Shivboy