A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Calling XML (ASP) page every minute

I'm new to Flash5 and XML (great start there then!!!), but have been playing around.

I can use flash to call an ASP page that reads some data from SQLserver, writes it as XML and flash decodes it... that was a good start, but now Im stuck

I would like to have flash reexecute the ASP page and so check for new data every minute. Unforunately, it doesn't work, its almost as though the ASP page is cached.

At the moment I use objXML.load and after the intial load, execute it again 60 seconds later. I can see the routine it lives in executes as I have set up a counter in the same function, it connects because on the first sweep, it pulls back data, but the data doesnt change on any subsequent call.

If I view the ASP page directly, the XML output is changing, because I can see the text in notepad, its as though flash isnt recalling the ASP page.

Any ideas

many thanks

Andy

no worries - I should have read prevous threads 8-)

objXML.load("xmladdress.asp?"+ random(999));

Thanks anyway

Lightbulb HTTP Response Header

Try setting the expiration in your ASP response object. I don't remember the syntax but you usually need the server to tell the client that a document expires immediately.

Something like this...

<tt>response.expires = 0</tt>

... should expire the document immediately and your client should know to exlude it from any cache.

Scott
    http://www.figital.com