A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Authoring and Running an Applescript on CD???

I've found several posts about running applescripts from projector files. I have been successful in creating a hybrid CD with both Mac and PC projectors on it. Loading swf's seems to be no problem on either platform as well. But now it seems I'm going to need some applescript to accomplish my goals (opening up QT movies on Mac projector). I've already found several posts dealing with this subject that have scripts written out, so that is no problem

The problem I'm having is that I don't know the first thing about how to create an "applescript" file, what format to put it in, how to call it with the fscommand(probably just"exec").

Mainly what I'm wondering is how (if it is even possible) to create an applescript to burn onto the cd that can successfully be called from the mac projector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. The Applescript is called from the EXEC command. Will need 2 projectors. 1 for MAC and 1 for PC.

2. All about writting applescripts can be found here http://www.apple.com/applescript/

3. Toast will burn the script on the CD.

Can applescripts be written in the PC environment???

I know this thread is little old.. but ohh well..

Yes a form of applescript can be wrote on a pc but it's called Vbscript

In case anyone stumbles upon this thread and is attempting to do this, this is what I had to do:

1. Write the AppleScript on a Mac and save it as an app
    2. Encode the AS into binary format
    3. E-mail it to my Pc
    4. Burn it onto the CD the same way that i do the Mac projector using CD Everywhere which decodes the binary file.

Hope this saves someone the immense headaches I experienced!

Originally posted by gholland554
    In case anyone stumbles upon this thread and is attempting to do this, this is what I had to do:

1. Write the AppleScript on a Mac and save it as an app
    2. Encode the AS into binary format
    3. E-mail it to my Pc
    4. Burn it onto the CD the same way that i do the Mac projector using CD Everywhere which decodes the binary file.

Hope this saves someone the immense headaches I experienced!
    What did you use to encode? I used DropStuff and it first compressed it - made it a .sit file, then converted to binhex.

When I do step 4, it decodes to the .sit file, not the AS file.

After e-mailing to myself in compressed .bin format, I used a hybrid CD creation program called CD Everywhere. Basically, it will take all your files (PC and Mac) and create a CD image which you must burn onto cd using another burning app. When you drag and drop your Mac files,(for example the .hqx projector) , CD Everywhere decodes them for you into their native format (applications)

Hope this helps.

How do you get the AS into .bin format? (I sir, am no mac user by any stretch of the imagination)

I have been using CD Everywhere for decode on the PC and it is great!

I found out that Stuffit Deluxe is needed to do binHex without creating stuffed file (.sit) first, unlike DropStuff. That costs $$$!!!

I'm sorry, but I don't remember the name of the program, but I knew what I needed (a binary encoding application for Mac), and within about 20 minutes of searching, I had found a freeware app for Mac that did the job. If I remember the name of the program, I will certainly post it.

By the way, if the particular AS you are trying to successfully encode is to open up a .mov file from the projector on a Mac, I have one in .bin format if you need it. Just let me know and I'll send it to you with the instructions on how to get it to work.

I've got BinHex 4.0. Downloaded it last night.

If you want to send it, that works for me. Does it open and play, or just open?

I'm pretty sure that it just opens. If you would like it, just e-mail me at gholland@kfx2.com. And now that you mention it, I think BinHex was what I used, but I'm not positive.

Smile

BinHex worked! Thank God!

It's weired though... Windows Explore shows a filesize of 0, but CD Everywhere show the size of the file.

Your help has been much appreciated!