dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Netscape, why does it torture me

Surf Whore
    k got a site http://www.iserverpark.com wont load in netscape is there a code in the html i am missing dont use netscape just ie and opera so i need some help

does your netscape have the flash 5 plugin installed?

does your netscape have the flash 5 plugin installed? In my netscape it displays ok.

We Hate Ars*nal
    I used nutscrape ONCE...yah only the once

Surf Whore

not that

i mean is there a code i can enter into my index page so netscape will download flash 5 so that customers can view their page if they use netscape

It's not your customers that are having the problem.
    It's YOU, cause you won't go and download the latest copy of Shockwave/Flash for Netscape from Macromedia. It's also Macromedia's problem, because the dipwads never get around to making the exact piece of code you just described.

Surf Whore
    ahh soic ne html i can enter or action scripts that fk may have that i can add to the site so that the customers will be redirected if they dont have flash for netscape

Well what a lot of people do is make a splash page which says "This site requires Flash 5 plugin. Click here to download" and included a link to the Macromedia download page. As I said, it would seem that Macromedia could care less about automating this process. If your files don't use any features which are proprietary to Flash 5, you can save your files in the Flash 4 format. I think something like 95% of the browsers out there support 4. I own 5 and have hardly even found a reason to use it yet. To detect if the user has a Flash plugin installed at all, I put a Flash file with a single Get URL action in it. That way if they don't have the plugin, it will remain on the splash page, and if they do it will redirect them almost instantly to a Flash enabled page.
    Hope that helps. Sorry if I come across as angry.
    Macromedia does so many brilliant things, but they also do so many equally stupid things.

Surf Whore
    tru that putting a link on there is about the only ez thing i will be able to do