dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: favorite php editor?

I'm using php coder, ( http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,001AXR,.html ) but it's too buggy. Dreamweaver is okay, but it doesn't highlight the tags correctly, and I need that.

Anyone know of any good php editors?

The best one I've found, and the one I use all the time, is phpEd by Ed Soysal. It's actually an IDE for PHP, meaning that you can test your scripts from within the environment. At present there are two versions, an old and trusted v2 and a beta v3.

Other than that, Homesite from Allaire does quite a good job, as does UltraEdit.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Steve

What have you found wrong with php coder? I haven't noticed any trouble w/ it. But if you say it's faulty I will take my chances d/ling a more reliable one... instead of perhaps lossing all my work.

ICCold

php coder

It's frozen up on a couple occassions and does some quirky stuff that I'm not going to list.

Also, it autofills data based on what it thinks you're typing and it sets up the tab indents in a way I don't like. Both of these are configurable, but I can't seem to configure it!

Plus, I'm playing around with EditPlus, which has much better color coding for tags and seems to know where to go when I hit 'return' or 'tab'

I'm gonna try phped as well.

Hehe... well. On those notes I took the liberty and tried out PHPed. Nice layout, simple... configured the the IDE part to execute the php scripts... works like magic.

Not too many features, but its great for what I do.

I've used Homesite for a couple of years now and love it. It does color coding and some project "management" of files, but not much else in terms of an IDE.

It does have color support for a number of languages though and you could configure the javascript color coding to work on .as files. Some of the objects in actionscript are not represented of course as it wasn't (yet) written for actionscripting. Since the Macromedia/Allaire merger, maybe we'll see that.... or maybe bundling with Dreamweaver.

It would be nice if you could define the reserved words for a color-coding scheme. I don't know that you can do it in Homesite. Dreamweaver is supposed to have great customization abilities, though I haven't dabbled so much with them. Maybe Homesite will be a little more like that in the next (?) version.

Anyone know what is happening with it?

Hiya!

I would assume that, with Allaire being swallowed by Macromedia, the development on Homesite will be a little later than expected. I should imagine that they'll want to have a lot more Flash/Shockwave integration [a la dreamweaver] and to change it to fit in with the design of the whole MM family.

Regards,

Steve

Macromedia UuberDev

Maybe they'll combine CFStudio, Ultradev, Flash and Director into one application and call it 'UuberDev.'

Oh great --

we've got a "mike brittain" and a "mike britton" here. That shouldn't be confusing to anyone right? Just remember, you can tell the difference because one is a "member" and the other is just a, er... "member". hmmmmmm... =)

I thought about it awhile and decided the product will be called "The Hammer" and it will make everything else look weak.