A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mac of PC?

I have 2 brains
    Mac or PC for a graphics designer or webdesigner or something that has to do with it?????

I have a dilemma, should I buy a Mac which is far more expensive, and less software available.

Of buy a new PC, which is the most logic for me, because I'm a PC user.

I need speed, power etc for graphics work. (on professional level)

Which one should I choose? Which one is faster? And more powerful?

Thanks!

By the way, the art school I'm going to attend in Septembre, has both, Macs and PC's.

Hi...
    Well I would'nt say that I'm really objectiv, but the MAC seems to be the better computer for graphics-work. Also I don't agree with you, that for the MAC is less software available. Especially graphicsoftware is often published first for the MAC and not for the PC.
    I'm a MAC-User so I would'nt tell you to use a PC, especially not for graphics.
    [Edited by uerland on 05-13-2001 at 06:26 PM]

Most people in here will probably be a little Mac biased. all i can say is this, i work on a PC during the day and at home on a mac at night. I prefer the macintosh as an all around machine because it's easier to use, more stable and more efficient which is probably the reason why most graphics companies use mac's. As for the software issue, you can find any software you want on-line for cheaper than you would pay in a store anyways. but best buy, comp usa, circut city all carry mac products and these stores are in most cities. as well as the introduction of a nationwide chain of apple stores due to open up sometime in the near future. The mac is a great machine with a lot of power and you won't be dissapointed with it, a PC however is a different story

mac is for graphic designers (just my opinion)

mac is better for color managing (but ok it isn't important for webdesign because very few surfers have calibrated screens)

it is also better for typography, with postscript fonts that are best quality types for printed works.

there is less softwares, but most professionnal editors' softs are available (adobe, macromedia, quark, avid, digidesign..., and alias/wavefront soon on mac os x...)

mac is more expensive when you buy it (not every models : look at the new ibook and titanium powerbook), but cheaper in a long time (easy to learn and use, easy hard and soft administration, best protection against viruses and hack, quality material, easy to resale at a good price...)

but reading and testing swf is slower on mac.