A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Gif -> Vector

I have some gif photo images that I would like to convert to vector based artwork for animation purposes. Is there any way these can be converted to vector? Is there software that does this other than Flash? And if you convert in Flash is there a way to export that image as a vector, not FLA or SWF?

Not sure what you mean about "exporting in vector instead of fla or swf.

First off, .fla's don't get exported. FLA is simply the extension for the saved working flash file.

Second, when you create something in Flash, it's in Vector format (unless, of course, you've brought in a non-vector graphic such as a jpg or bmp).

Maybe you can tell me if I'm right or wrong, but it seems you are asking if you can simply use Flash as a way to convert gifs to vector and import them to use somewhere else, not neccesarily use them in Flash.
    Is this what you're asking?

Take Care,

mg33

Adobe Streamline, which will then save them as .ai's (adobe illustrator format).

Yes, sorry for the need of psychic powers but thats exactly what Im asking. I want to use some jpegs in swish but the photo images are too big. (Next version of swish will support vectors but Im not sure about conversion between the two).

Is Adobe streamline the only program that does this? Does illustrator do this?

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by FlashGial

Is Adobe streamline the only program that does this? Does illustrator do this?

Thanks guys.
    if they are really simple you caould place the bitmap on the page in illustartor or freehand and manually draw around it - if they are more complex then use streamline or the trace options in freehand