A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: animated text from external file

animated text from external file-
    I know it's pretty cheesy but are there any good example .FLAs of this out there? does any one know how exactly to do this? I'm trying to have the letters animate in (no problem), but how do I get the flash movie to pull the variable(s) from the external text file? thanks in advance

To load the variables use:

loadVariablesNum ("testxtfile.txt", 0);

the layout of the textfile should look like this:

variable1=yourtext&variable2=anothertext&variable3 =andsoon

notice the & signs between the vars!!
    Yours
    HTD

so are you saying that in the text file each character has to be broken up by "&"? or can it be the whole sentence? How does that work for multiline text?

see, what i've been asked to do is create an animation (text that will spin and float in) of a "quote of the day", that will change every day. I thought the easiest way to do this was build the flash movie as a shell and just let them change the external text file.

can I do this with the actionscript you sent.

thanks for all your help, i'm not too strong with this sort of stuff.

hi

not each character.... each variable hast to be separated by the & sign. For a quote of the day your text-file should look like this:

quoteoftheday=Why+did+the+chicken+cross+the+street

then after the loadvaribles command the variable quoteoftheday contains your quote as a normal sentence (spaces instead of +). Note that the stuff should be URL-encoded, this means that i.e. no spaces are allowed - instead the + sign (as above). Other special characters like &,?," and more must be represented by their URL-codes...

Normally you must not think of the URL-codes - but when it comes to long text it is realistic that special chars appear. search with your favourite engine for "URL-encoding" to find a list of special-character codes...

Yours
    HTD

hi

not each character.... each variable hast to be separated by the & sign. For a quote of the day your text-file should look like this:

quoteoftheday=Why+did+the+chicken+cross+the+street

then after the loadvaribles command the variable quoteoftheday contains your quote as a normal sentence (spaces instead of +). Note that the stuff should be URL-encoded, this means that i.e. no spaces are allowed - instead the + sign (as above). Other special characters like &,?," and more must be represented by their URL-codes...

Normally you must not think of the URL-codes - but when it comes to long text it is realistic that special chars appear. search with your favourite engine for "URL-encoding" to find a list of special-character codes...

Yours
    HTD

Hmmmmmmmmmm....you don't need a + between each word. Spaces are fine.