A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Full Screen - like it or spike it?

Lightbulb

whats the deal with all new sites these days? they all popup in little windows, with little interfaces, nice little buttons... that arent very large (width/height)! whats the deal with that? see this monitor you are looking at...its probably at least 17 inches. use it! whats wrong with a "full screen" site? you can see more information, more graphics more of everything. its like giving leonardo divinci a post-it note to paint on. i say, use the whole screen, i see no way around it.

I'm Buff
    I HATE FULL SCREEN!
    whenever i get a full screen site, i always hit alt f4 before it even loads... they just annoy me

Originally posted by vinini
    whats the deal with all new sites these days? they all popup in little windows, with little interfaces, nice little buttons... that arent very large (width/height)! whats the deal with that? see this monitor you are looking at...its probably at least 17 inches. use it! whats wrong with a "full screen" site? you can see more information, more graphics more of everything. its like giving leonardo divinci a post-it note to paint on. i say, use the whole screen, i see no way around it.
    duh......it's annoying, all of my customers want their sites non-full screen, and loads faster too!!!

Austrian Superstar
    EVERYONE hates fullscreen ...

well, almost everyone

what if you want to go to another window while a fullscreen site is loading ? of course you can push the windows button to show the task bar or use the combination of alt + tab, but it's still annoying

being forced into full screen is a pain!!! especially as here at work i run two monitors!!! ^&%%&$*%%$"($"&^$ full screen mofos!!!!!!!!!

if ppl want full screen then they can hit F11...

whats wrong with small anyway, so long as its perfectly formed and does the job required!

Originally posted by MhORe
    being forced into full screen is a pain!!! especially as here at work i run two monitors!!! ^&%%&$*%%$"($"&^$ full screen mofos!!!!!!!!!

whats wrong with small anyway, so long as its perfectly formed and does the job required!

Well said. If it looks better at full screnn then provide a button. Or tell them to hit F11 after a load - dont force it on the user - no way.

there's no purpose for it on the Internet.
    don't use it.
    if you need so much space, maximize the browser without a toolbar.

mg33

Rule #1 of good design - don't mess with the elements people are familiar with. Once you take control away from your user, you have failed in making something interactive. And the only reason to hide the close window button in your design is if you didn't have confidence in your design in the first place.

I mean, in American society, how long have we been reading books left-to-right, top-to-bottom? Why? Because it works. I don't care how kick-@$$ a writer or designer you are, if you change that, you've lost a significant chunk of your audience. Is it worth it? Same goes for full-screen web browsing - maybe once the web becomes more pervasive and transparent, cool, but right now, while I'm paying for access and want to get the information I'm looking for (usually with several windows open at once) - the guy who tries to dominate my surfing experience is the one who gets blacklisted by me.

And I haven't even begun to discuss the technical problems with players running slowly when you stretch a flash movie...

FK Hardware Freak
    Emperor of Invincible Sand Castles

i hate full screen (with the exception of flashkit). There are some people who make the windows longer than your viewable area, and it gets really annoying. Besides, sometimes the graphics get blurry.

CapTy99.com Webmaster
    Originally posted by MhORe

u learn something anyday. ill be posting that on my site that they can hit f11 if they want it. dont force them, like everyone else has said so far.

MOD wannabe

--

Choice = solution

simple hey??

Drum & Bass Addict
    i hate it too..i dont mind if the popup takes up my whole screen, but if its a popup i can still access my taskbar, but theres very few sites that are good enough to actually need the whole screen, and i kinda like the small button small font look, its more tech....i usally make my flash movies, popups about 750x 400 px... and i use netzero and they open a fullscreen popup when the software loads. and when u close the fullscreen, it opens it right back up, i end up hitting crt,alt del like 7 times before i get them to close without reopening..that pissssssssses me off soooo much, and i hattttte full screen windows with no close button on them, HATE it...and the netzero thing usally freezes my pc by the time i get that damn screen to go away

aghhh full screen sucks, who cares if they have a close button, i want to be able to flick between my programs with out having to alt-tab, full screen is just bad manners!!!

now full screen with the task bar, i have no problem with that whatsoever!

going full screen? keep the task bar!!

that's all i ask.

Originally posted by Trakker
    i hate full screen (with the exception of flashkit).
    Flashkit can be viewed in full screen? I've been here about a year and never found a full screen feature for Flashkit. It's not even made in Flash.

Take Care,

mg33

FK Robot Wrangler

Originally posted by mg33
    Originally posted by Trakker
    i hate full screen (with the exception of flashkit).
    Flashkit can be viewed in full screen? I've been here about a year and never found a full screen feature for Flashkit. It's not even made in Flash.

Take Care,

mg33
    good point, mg33. someone is obviously confused as to the topic.

as i have said many a time in Site Check, full screen rarely adds anything to a site. most flashers use it as a novelty, which is just plain wrong. allow me to apologize for the fullscreen site my boss made me do

i conclusion, if it's absolutely necessary to the impact of the site (which is rarely to never), at least give the option. don't make decisions for me. that's why i went to all that school.