A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fonts are killing me..... i don't stand a chance!

Unhappy

Hey all,

Can Flash use Mac PS fonts? I've read a couple threads and get the impression that it can't, I know it doesn't work on my machine!

If this is the case does anyone out there know where I can get a conversion tool to change the font from PS to TT?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Of course, it can!
    You have to install Adobe Type Manager (ATM) to use Postscriptfonts.
    The "Light" version is free:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/atmlight/main.html

or add them to your system folder> fonts. The only problems is that your computer will slow down if you load too many fonts.

-k
    check my site totally done in mac! at http://www.nocivoeffect.com

I narrowed it down....

Thanks for your help guys, but there are still some issues:

Whenever I try to publish the movie a dialogue box comes up that says: "Some characters could not be converted to outline because an appropriate outline font could not be found...."

Upon investigating whenever you look at a font in your font folder be it on the hard drive (ATM..) or in the system (fonts folder) most of the icons they have three little "A's" on the icon, on the fonts that I'm having difficulty with there is only on "A" and there are different fonts for different sizes:

Centaur 10, Centaur 12, Centaur 18 etc....

Is there any way to create this "outline font" that Flash needs, or even a way to turn a PS font into a TT font? (I would assume that creating a TT font would create an appropriate "outline font"

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi motiv.

first (the dialog box):
    I get this message, too!
    It happens when I embed the whole font outline information of a postscript font. Maybe this dialog is a bug, because when I create a size report with the publish, I can see that all outlines of all characters are embedded in the SWF!
    So I don´t care for the message anymore.

second:
    The three little "A"´s indicate that it is a truetype font.
    Doubleclick it and you get a new window with examples of the font in different sizes.

A postscript font consists of two things!
    First the postscript outline file (doubleclick it and you get a message that this is a postscript font).
    And second the appropriate bitmap file(s) (the icon with only one "A").
    Bitmap files are normally organized in a font suitcase.
    There may be different files for different sizes, but you only need one size (prefer size 10 or 12).
    To make a postscript font work you need to have both things (the postscript outline file and the bitmap file(s)) installed in your systems font folder, or activated by a font management utility like "suitcase" or "ATM deluxe".

third:
    There are some PC to Mac fontconverter utilities, though I don´t know if they can convert from Mac postscript to Mac TT.
    Go to http://www.versiontracker.com and search for "truetype" or something like.
    There are also two commercial tools to convert from/to TT/postscript, Mac/PC.
    First is Macromedia´s "Fontographer", second is "FontLab" http://www.fontlab.com

I hope it cleared things up.

Originally posted by me2222

I can see that all outlines of all characters are embedded in the SWF!
    So I don´t care for the message anymore.

[/B]

me2222, sorry, I just need clarification:

Are you saying that if I receive this message, I should probably look at getting one of these "postscript to truetype" utilities?

And, when you say that the outlines are embedded in the SWF, are you still able to see them in the actual player? I am not.

Thank again for all your help!

motiv

Hi again.
    To your first question:
    No, I can use postscript fonts, there´s no need to convert them to truetype

To your second q:
    Yes, everything is fine, allthough I get the message.
    I can see the font(s) in my players.

Maybe your postscript fonts are dammaged, or you don´t use them in the right way.

put the postscript outline file and its bitmap files (or the fontsuitcase they are in) into your systems "fonts" folder inside the "systemfolder", and restart your mac.
    If the font is not damaged and ATM is installed you should be able to use and embed the font in Flash.