A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: trouble synchronizing voice to animation

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

You may want to consider using real flash. You can find the kit on the real.com web site. It uses the smil file format to sync things up. Its real effective. Other than that I would say that you sould break the file up into small chunks and use the on event command to sync up on keyframes. Hope this helps.Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

...Pope, now I'm confused! I have a full retail version of Macromedia's Flash 4.0. Isn't that real Flash?
    Thanks!
    mg.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

"Real Flash" is a cooperation of Real Networks and Maromedia. You can use the Real Player to send your Flash animation while utilizing the Real Producer to encode the sound so both will stream across the web with out long download times. Regards, Bill

------------------

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Question

Hi--
    I'm putting together my first Flash project. It's a series of animated shorts I'm doing for someone.
    I was 1/2 done the first piece, and the voice was prefectly synched up with the animation. Then I exported it to movie, and the voice went completley off. So I tried fixing it, and it kept throwing it off when I'd export the movie.
    Any ideas? I did it at 12fps at the standard size. The voice is saved as a AIF fil, 22mhz mono.
    Is this a hard thing to do in Flash? It was all going fine, and then...
    thanks
    mg.

Question

This might be stupid (I've never used sound in Flash so I don't know much about it), but in the export options of Flash 3 there are audio settings including what quality of audio stream and events to use.

Are these settings the same as the audio files you are trying to use (ie: 22KHz), or doesn't it matter?

-- Leto

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

The problem is the rate the cpu plays the frames of animation and the rate it plays the wav file. Long animations involving alpha states and heavy animation can slow down the frame rate. Throwing the sync off with the wav file. I think its more the cpu taking a hit than anything else. So you can break the sound up into small wav files so they stream on event making it less likely to break the sync. or you could do the "Real Flash" soulution.

Leto: Its never stupid to suggest somthing. thats how we all learn experiment, adapt, overcome. Regards, Bill

------------------

Talking

Pope--thanks for the advice! I re-recorded the voice-over clip by clip, and it all synched up PERFECT. I can't thank you enough! you ended 5 days of frustration!
    I'll e-mail you a link soon to see what I've been working on. THANKS.
    mg.