A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: North! an aimless question!!

Smile

Northcode..I admire the help the team at Flashkit are spreading...and I hope maybe you can help me with something thats been bugging me for quite sumtime..

I have an Biz Plan presentation interview next month 6th June...in hand I've constructed my Word Doc Business plan and 3 quaters into my Flash projector, that will be needed for the presentation of various work I do.

The question is, and I hope I explain this right, I need to get this 600 kb projector exe into my standard 1.4 mb floppy disc...all is ok but I have other files that need to be crammed up within the disc( which are external files for the projector i.e. swfs, jpegs, txt ). The actual projector exe before conversion was a 200 kb swf. (now heres where you may lose my plot) The 2nd idea that I've been thinking that could save space, Could I possibly build a Flash Projector (with only instructions to open the 200 kb swf into a target or level) thus I'm hoping would save space by not converting the 200 kb swf to the LARGE 600 kb exe? (hope I'm explainin this properly)

And if so...The computer that I'll be displaying my Projector exe Presentation, will probably have no support for SWF file, but since everything will be run through the projector, will the computer still view the swf through the projector?

please please please tell me understand all this and please please tell me whether this idea will work.

Kind regrads
    Dark

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

SWF Studio will compress the files you add but some SWF files don't compress so well. Still, there are a couple of things you can try (see below).

Contact support@northcode.com and I'll do what I can to help you get this working...

-----

Have a main EXE that is stand-alone so the Flash OCX gets installed and make all your files part of the EXE. This may not fit on a floppy though.

-----

Create a stand-alone projector that does nothing, just has a simple SWF in it. This will install the OCX and runtimes that SWF Studio needs. Think of this as your install disk.

Then make another project (that is not stand-alone) and put all your stuff on another floppy. SWF Studio can create VERY small EXE files if the runtimes are already on a machine and you can still use compression to shrink the SWF files and stuff you add to your project.

Smile Oh WoW!

Hi North

I was wondering earlier what the hell you were on about 'SWF studio'..( I'm new at all this) so in searching for it at google.com directed me to , well ya guessed, your little invention at northcode.com...I'm actually %40 through download and half way through reading all features and such (overwhelming) My partner has a full version of Swift canvas he purchased last year thru renaiasance.com (sumthin like that) and its been a load of crap with compression, although its features were quite good. We still have an old version of flash 4, and have never looked ahead to upgrading to five.

I do however appreciate the time taken to help me with this little mishap, and also appreciate the help from friends at http://f256.com/forum/index.asp?db=secretbase whom a lot have good suggestions, such as having a second disc for the flash player installation. At the moment I'm open to any good suggestions that are direct and simple to the point.

Alast, my partner and I will be most pleased whilst trying Swf studio with great results, download is complete so I'm riveted to try this out.

I will however email you if any troubleshooting I encounter.
    Thanks North

Sorry, I usually remember to sneak in a (www.northcode.com) when I mention SWF Studio but you called me by name so I thought you might already know about it. My apologies for the confusion.

SWF Studio has bigger runtime requirements than some of the other tools but it also allows you to choose when those runtimes should be included.

This lets you create a simple runtime installer using just a simple SWF file so you can keep subsequent projectors really small and fast (good trick for CDs).

SWF Studio uses the ZLIB compression library and the compression rates are very close to what you'll get with WINZIP using the maximum compression setting.

I don't want to introduce instability with too many changes made without caution but I fix bugs as quickly as I can according to their severity.

So report em when you find em but you don't have to wait until you have problems with SWF Studio!

I know the doc is still sketchy so if you have ANY questions I'll be glad to answer them here or by email.

Hi North

Whoops ...sorry bout the confusion, somebody told me you were the moderator for the swf application board at Flashkit...and got directed here from f256.com.

My partner and I have been trying to build a projector from swf movies we have with SWF studio...the screensaver function works great with self installation, though when we try to open the created projector from SWF studio it does something for about 5 secs and then nothing appears, I know something has happen because when alt/ctrl delete I can see the projector file is open, alt ctrl delete is the only way we know to close this down.

It maybe something we've done wrong or possibly a limitation maybe obscuring something. The images below are the functions that we are using before we actually execute the 'Build' command:
    http://www15.brinkster.com/pamanastudios/Untitled.gif
    http://www15.brinkster.com/pamanastudios/Build.gif
    http://www15.brinkster.com/pamanastudios/movie.gif
    http://www15.brinkster.com/pamanastudios/playback.gif
    http://www15.brinkster.com/pamanastudios/layout.gif

(at the moment we have no need for the 'Plugin, Mouse, drag, clip, events and variable functions)
    As mentioned before and as far as we both know, the screensaver seems to be working great,(though a lil glitch in the preview window) jst the exe created from SWF studio does nothing....

I'm sorry for bringing all this upon you North and I apologise if I sound a little too forward....

Kind regards

Dark & Kimberley

I don't moderate, I just live here

I didn't see anything wrong in the snapshots you posted.

If you want to send the SWF files and your SPF file to support@northcode.com I'll have a look at this for you.

No trouble at all.