A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Databases

Red face

Ok so I am quite excited by Flash 5
    I even have the screen shot of the new action scripting window up in my cube like a bad pinup. But I have a question for the beta testers etc.
    My company uses oracle as its database system. Will there is there now or will be in Flash 5 away for me to work with oracle?
    Thanks

Ok, now I don't have experience with F5, so if someone who knows more about it wants to second-guess me then that's just fine...

Flash has no way to communicate directly with any database. What you need to do is write some sort of middleware application in ASP, or PHP, or my personal favorite, Cold Fusion. The Middleware will do the SQL query to the database, and format the results of that query in a way that Flash will understand. As of F4, that means transmitting Name/Data pairs, but I understand F5 will give us a few more options that way...

John

database?

spfxteck

I this is what generator is for. It generates a flash file from a data source. A data source can be a database.

Go to macromedia site and learn more about generator.

I hope this answer your ?

GErr

------
    As of F4, that means transmitting Name/Data pairs, but I understand F5 will give us a few more options that way...
    -------

Is it possible for you to elaborate on that statement? I would really like to learn what other functions Flash5 is going to have with respect to scripts.

Also, an unrelated question, is F5 going to make scrollbars easier? It would be nice if you could attach it to a window and it automatically sets itself.

Originally posted by RoMaN

Is it possible for you to elaborate on that statement?
    Nope... Because I really have no idea about 5 other than dribs and drabs I've picked up on through this board.

I do know though that there will be an XML parser in 5, so one of the things I may end up doing with my legacy MS SQL Server apps is to put in an XML interpreter on the front end of SQL server and use the XML datasource to transmit data to the Flash client app. It just seems to me that doing this would be more efficient than using CF to do individual queries on my DB and then transmitting that data through a name/data pair string to Flash

This is all guesswork though until I can get my hands on the software...

John

good idea
    you might want to check out XTract ~ an xmlscript interpreter

http://www.xmlscript.org/download.html