A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Don't know where to ask this one about Director. Please help

Hi,
    I know this is Flash forum, but I don't know were to ask this.

I need to know if is possible to pass presentation made on PC Window in Director to Mac.
    IF there is option to do this, what do I have to do.

Please, if you know answer to my question, reply...

Thank you very much,

Oksej

Director file to Mac...

hi,

just like Flash, Director files can be cross-platformed (there are exceptions of course, like extras, type of external files brought into as cast members, etc), as long as you have fonts embedded when publishing, you should be alright. I think when you publish, you have option of choosing a window exe file or a Mac version. I dont use crazy fonts so I dont know if special designer fonts available on one platform only will affect on the other side (either Mac or PC). If you want to work with Flash files as well, Director 8.5 can pass variables into embedded Flash files and recognize the new dot syntax structure, so you can call custom functions in your Flash movies brought into Director as cast members. I'm dont use Director as much as I wanted to, but this is as much I can offered, hope this will shed some light.

Hi Oksej,
    you can try asking your questions at
    http://www.director-online.com/

(I stopped using Director at Version 6.5 )

Thank you so much

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your replies.
    I appreciate it a lot.
    Have a cool day,

:-) Oksej

If you are simply making a shockwave file, then the files are crossplatform. Just be sure to add the file extension when nameing the file, so that a PC can open it.

Unfortunately, if you are making a Projector, you have to have the PC version of Director, and the Mac version of Director. No I'm not kidding, and yes it is a rip off. I had to order both versions (which isn't cheep.)
    The reason for this is that the MAC and the PC recognise exe files differently.

If you are putting the files on a CD, you have to write using the "HFS + ISO 9660/Joliet Hybrid CD" format (toast does this) in order for both operating systems to recognize the file structure.

One good thing is that the cast file, and sub movies are cross-platform as are most attached assets, such as QT. So you don't have to create 2 versions of these. If you create these files on a Mac, the PC projector will be able to
    recognize those files. Its only the exe file that you have to be worried about.

As far as embedding special fonts. The best way to ensure that they will be embedded in your file, is to create all of your text assets in Flash, and then import the swf into Director. Flash automatically embeds fonts.

I hope this helps.