dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need to make a screen saver

I need some program to transform an swf to a screen saver file......

anyone got any?? or have a clue where I can download one??
    please!!

thanx

mentally unstable member smayer72's Avatar
    http://www.flashwiz.co.uk
    this one is pretty good

Scott

FlashWiz is only a screensaver creator. If you want the full version, it will cost you $49 US.
    If you plan on doing more complex projector creations in the future, I would suggest checking out SWF Studio at http://www. Northcode.com . It will create screensavers and many other things as well.

Flashwiz is a good piece of crippled freeware. Another good piece of freeware (Not overly powerfull) is Screenweaver 1.1 Freeware edition. It makes screensavers from projectors and AVI's.

The question here is what do you wnt to do in the long run? If your only desire is to produce screensavers than you are best off using Flash Wiz or Screanweaver (Free version). I have not come across a Screensaver maker that gives you the price/functionality as these two programs. In act Flash Wiz is as good as Flash Jestor's Creator at 1/10'th of the cost to unlock all of its features. Also it is obvious that Flash WIZ is also cheaper than SWF Studio.

If you think you will get into complicated Projectors (More complictaed than what can be done with Resource Hacker and Flash Tools) then SWF studio is a good investment you want. SWF Studio does save time and is easier to use then Flash Tools or a hex editor. SWF Studio gives you the most bang for your buck in terms of functionality/cost. The Projector tools found on SWF studio surpass all of the other tools in terms of what it can do plus you get a full screensaver creator with it.

Johnie,

I always enjoy reading your posts regarding 3rd party progs. You have a very thorough understanding of each software and how they compare, both in functionality and value. Not to mention that your posts are always unbiased in relation to developers or software.
    Have you considered creating a report on the current 3rd party software tools and publishing it?
    I think it could become a widely used tool in itself to help people evaluate them. Also, it would be a great reference to point people to who as questions about them.
    Well, just an idea, anyway. Again, I appreciate your posts and knowledge.

Regards,

Jabez

I already have done this more or less, when I joined as an admin at wwww.koolmovers.com I started writing reviews on other SWF producing software. The Reviews section is missing a couple of apps (Adobe Live Motion, Vecta 3D, Swift 3D- I finally got to use it, Photoshop 6, Corel Draw 9+,illastrate, and a couple of other SWF tools) but tracking down new SWF 3'rd party tools is a never ending process. Even though there are some missing apps from the section it is still one of the most complete ( I haven't added Toon Boom yet either but hey it was only made available on the 23).

Pretty much for third party SWF tools your best options for price over functionality are Kool Moves, Swish 2 (When they finally realese it.), and Insane Flash Animator. Morph Ink, Flare Works, Live Motion (Live Motion is worth about $100 so when they put it on sale for $99.99 it is worth that), and RAVE (It is packaged with Corel Draw and Corel Paint so if you must have those two apps then RAVE is not terrible) are all interesting but they just don't really cut the mustard. Poser 4 with Pro Pack, Lost Marble Moho (as soon as they add back in the SWF export), and Toon Boom (I am still playing with the features- they are wanting $499 for it.) are also nice to have but are only good for animation. The average price of a third party SWF creation tool is $30-$40 and you should expect Flash 3 or 4 functionality. Chromos LE is free as far as I can tell but they have not made the english version yet and my German isn't that great. I don't really think that text effects engines are cost effective since Swish 2 (should be about 40-50) and KoolMoves 2 ($29.99) and Insane Flash Animator 2 ($29.99) all have text effects engines built into them. I think a fair price is about $100 if the creation tool allowed actionscripting, was easy to use, had a large import selection, and exported more than just SWF. What I don't understand is companies making less functional tools than Flash and charging more than Flash for the tool? I can understand Paying more than Flash for a tool that only exports as swf if it just really was all that and a bag of chips, but I have yet to see that program. Of your drawing apps Moho, Kool Moves, and Morph Ink really do simplify/ speed up the animation process and are worth looking into.

Projector tools... I have noticed that Northcode seems to be the only one who is still in bussiness besides the Master. Swiff Canvas, Flash Jester, Moires, and AF Saver web pages have net been updated in a 1/2 year or so? Any how the average price for a tool that is specifically designed to manipulate projectors is about $100. You want to make sure that the Tool includes a packiging, Luancher, and shaping tool otherwise you should look for a cheaper tool (Jugglor is the worst at this since they force you to purchase every function). I feel that most projector tools are grossly over priced for what they do. I feel that a plain projector tool should cost around $50-$70 and be able to; Launch programs from their native programs, Print, Shape the projector, be able to alter the Icon, and be able to save and load to the HD. For no money down you can get Resource Hacker or another such tool (For Free) and alter the projectors Icon, Menu's, , and dialougs. By writting a bat file or by accessing the COM you can Luanch apps. So you see I never understood why some companies wanteed to charge such high prices for these tools.

Screen Saver Tools Average Price $70- Range from free to $500. The most expensive is Creator but it is the same tool as the much Cheaper Flash Wiz. Flash WIz has both a freeware and a pay version. Flash Wiz is your best buy for Screensavers at a mere $50. The only better buy is if you purchase SWF Studio and you get both the Projector tools and the Screensavers ones for $100 (MME members I think?)-$140.

3D Tools- I don't really like Electric Rains Swift 3D but I can't quite think of the correct way to put it without offending any ER lovers. Vecta 3D seems to have delayed their standalone version. Electric Rains Swift 3D does a little better job with the shading than the Vecta plug-In but the Vecta Plug is much easier to use and the standalone will be much less. Also Swift 3D takes forever to render anything and can't convert more than 50,000 shapes. Excpect to pay about $100- $130 for a tool to do 3-D although many traditional 3-D tools like amorphium pro is adding SWF export. My general conclusion on 3D tools is to shop very carefully.

Vid 2 Flash converters- Swideo- does MOV only but does it very well ($89.99), Flix- converts the most formats but does the worst conversion of any of the tools (99.99), Vid 2 Flash (29.99) which is middle of the road and does a decent job, and SWF Convert ($15) which can convert over a dozen image formats and AVI. I like Vid 2 Flash and SWF convert the best but I do have to admit that Swideo does an excelent job with the MOV format. I however question the wisdom in converting MOV to SWF becuase I have never seen a MOV convert to SWF without increasing the file size or reducing the quality. AVI does gain quite a bit of compresion when converted.

Flash Ants ($99) instead of converting Video it Plays it in a layer of the SWF- Very Unique Idea. It requires Media player to work though.

For generator tools, you have J Generator, Swift Generator which are both Free. JGenerator is 100% free and you don't have to display the advert. Swish generator is free as long as you display the advert and link to them- otherwise it is $100 per page. Flash Turbine and Saxes Wave, when compared to all the free alternative, are over priced. Also PHP with a SWF lib such as SWF LIB or MING can do the same things more or less as Generator and are free?

Then you have the SWF tools themselves- Of these tools Chironex's SWF Scanner stands out. It can extract Images, Swap Images outside of a Flash authoring environment, Extract sounds, and Extract Flash 2, 3, and 4 Actionscripts. It is under $15 where as you would need SWF Browser and Actionscript viewer to do all of that (about $65). Keep in mind that most SWF tools that act on the SWF are free or under $30 US and you won't get taken for a ride. As far as I know nobody has created a tool to actually edit SWFs but I know some people were actively working on such a project (Myself and a couple of others were but I abbandoned it). I would not be surprised when such a tool enters the market especially since the SWF Source crew is making an example of how to do SWF import on their SDK.

thanx a mill guys

thanx a mill guys, excellent references....

thanx for all the post, 4 real.

take care
    p.s = i did the ssavers with flashwiz.....
    wanna check ' em out?

http://www.mantekilla.com/html/consumibles.html

peace out

Nice work, ortokore!