dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HONESTLY.... How much do people make with Flash??

Interesting thread posts

Hello everyone.

Interesting post thread going on here. Maybe I can contribute a little from Irvine, California - USA. A lot of these postings are from europe and elsewhere and it has been interesting seeing what going on out there.

I am a creative director at a small new media ad firm. We do not have a lot of employees so many of where multiple hats. I personally do most of the flash work. Although I also do a lot of web/CD rom work as well. I make $80k/yr US at my full time job here - and another 35k/yr working in my spare time (evenings) picking up moonlighting flash jobs throughout the year.

I there is truth in both comments above. There is a lot (and going to continue to be a lot) of work out there for anybody in rich media development. Mostly because of the rate of connectivity and technology. Though there are increasingly more talented flashers popping up - I do not see them saturating an ever increasing rich media marketplace. Also, people make money for two other reasons. They are talented....and they are well rounded in other supportive areas.

Let me explain. I have my degree in film scoring and for most of my youth wrote music for film and radio. I have also been engineering music professionally off/on for many years. This means I can not only score my own music for projects...but edit it as well. Further, I have been designing formany years as well. Learning graphic concepts is very constructive to a lot of things we do all day. Over the past 5 years, since developing web sites and inyteractives for clients....it has allowed me to learn most programming languages too.

Put all this together, and you are deadly out here. My point is...it pays to become interested in all the things that come into play when developing flash for clients.

My flash programmers make anywhere from $40/hr to $120/hr.

Hope this helps your perception of the marketplace out here in California!

Cheers,

Joe

See Above

Re: Interesting thread posts

Originally posted by jmstammen
    My point is...it pays to become interested in all the things that come into play when developing flash for clients.

My flash programmers make anywhere from $40/hr to $120/hr.

Hope this helps your perception of the marketplace out here in California!

Cheers,

Joe
    . . . . thanks for the imput, Joe! everybody's opinions, no matter how much they differ, are invaluable to me. i would love to hear from somebody in New York.

tanx|pal|www.dumb-dumb.com

Ambassador of Style
    I'm in Boston, but I hear NYC is a tough spot to be in now - unless you've got some serious talent. Most of what I've been hearing has not been wonderful for the average designer/developer or the guy/gal coming fresh outta college. A lot of the larger interactive agencies (ie: MarchFirst, RazorFish, etc) have either gone under or have trimmed down significantly - which satured the market with great talent.

Now I'm not saying that you can't get work in NYC, but you have to understand there are lot of "fish in the sea" right now.

-A02

Great comment!

That's a great comment! We have a marchfirst here in Irvine, Ca. (had). They went out - bankrupt. Though strange. I am well connected in the area and have oddly enough not noticed any sauration out here in Ca. for good designers. Irvine is regarded as the "little Silicon valley" smaller than San Fransisco and NY but booming!

Joe

Arckid - Curving the Web

Really Strange !!!

Hello All People ...

we are very new to freelancing but having good and core knowledge of flash but not earns what guy guyz earns ...

i think the main reason is we lives in india where we can't hav that much work who can give us good reward ...

we also can't hav good projects or flash sites to earn ... can you guys help us out to knwo that from where to get the projects and/ or some hints / tips regarding this ??

so many thanks in advance ...

Aashu

Agent 02!...how's the industry in boston? i'm originally from the area and was just in town visiting (i'm in florida right now)---most of what i hear out of boston in usually more backend work.....

Re: Interesting thread posts

I have my degree in film scoring and for most of my youth wrote music for film and radio. I have also been engineering music professionally off/on for many years.
    Joe,

I'd sure like to contact you directly. I notice you are not accepting email from this site.

Check out what I am into and drop me a line. We have very similar interests. There may be opportunities for colaboration.

http://www.geoffedwards.ca/videoandfilm.html

Cheers from Hollywood North.

See Above
    anybody in the nyc or philly areas? what are you being paid or expecting to be paid and what is your level of experience.

also, maybe even more importantly, does anybody have any personal recommendations for specific places to apply to in these areas? i have a list of my own that i'm looking at, but it's pretty dumb at this point...

luv|pal|www.dumb-dumb.com
    [Edited by dumb-dumb on 08-23-2001 at 01:48 AM]

Ambassador of Style
    Petesky:

Yeah... database work is more "advertised" than front-end, but there is still a lot of front-end going. It's much tighter though - and it's more about who you know than your basic CV/Resume. With the exception of July, I have been working like a mad fool - and already have things lining up to finish out the year.

Take care!

-A02

What about LIFE?

Hello everyone.

I make $80k/yr US at my full time job here - and another 35k/yr working in my spare time (evenings) picking up moonlighting flash jobs throughout the year.
    Hey, do you have a social life, a wife or a girlfriend, friends or something like that?

Just kidding, no offense, but...
    I'd like to give a slight turn to this thread...
    Is it all about money and work? What about life quality? Are we all here to work like crazy and make the most money out of our time? Is it better to work 10 hrs/day and make 100 or 5 hrs/day making 50 and being free to enjoy the rest of the day?

I don't know, just a hint to look at the same topic from a different standpoint...

See Above

Re: What about LIFE?

Originally posted by framais
    Is it all about money and work? What about life quality? Are we all here to work like crazy and make the most money out of our time? Is it better to work 10 hrs/day and make 100 or 5 hrs/day making 50 and being free to enjoy the rest of the day?

I don't know, just a hint to look at the same topic from a different standpoint...
    . . . . well, from my standpoint i need to know how much i'm going to be able to make so i can figure out if i can afford to live in brooklyn or queens by myself and commute to the city. if i'm not going to be making enough to do this i need to re-evaluate my plans and look further into philly (which is significantly cheaper housing-wise).

besides, wanting to be paid a proper salary doesn't always have to do with greed or letting life pass one by. i have a personal goal to be financially independant before i get out of my 30s so i can do whatever the hell i want and not have to worry about putting food on the table. in order to do this i need to do my homework on the ever changing market and keep up to speed. i argue that this is quite contrary to being caught up in being greedy or wanting to have bragging rights.

wurd|pal|www.dumb-dumb.com

Dumb-Dumb,
    I'm sorry if what I said somehow hurted you, I didn't mean to discuss anybody goal or worldview, of course everybody does what he/she wants of their time on earth, and obviously what I said doesn't apply to your case.

Like I said I just wanted to suggest the addition of one more parameter to the equation work-money.

Ahh yes I remember as someone once told me:

Money can't buy you happiness...

But it can buy you a great big boat you can park right next to it!

Seriosly, I am in my forties. Work-life is about finding whatever challenges you and drives you to succeed for some it might be in a freelance creative pursuit such as Flash design or web development or like me audio production and voice acting. And for some, working for the man and not worrying about work when you leave his office at 5:30.

I remember being in my 20s and thinking I would be financially independent in my 30s or 40s and doing what-ever I damn well pleased. But things change. at least I am doing what-ever I damn well please... I got it 50% right.

Life really is what you make of it. For some of us, freelancing and being paid well for one's own creativity is the best hit there is.

Cheers.

See Above
    Originally posted by Geoff Edwards
    Life really is what you make of it. For some of us, freelancing and being paid well for one's own creativity is the best hit there is.
    . . . . agree with both of you.

now... does anybody reading this know how much i should expect to make doing flash work in the nyc or philly areas? i'll love you and give you big kisses if you do.

umff|pal|www.dumb-dumb.com

Pucker up.

you can expect to make 40k if you can get along well with others and have things to offer besides gotoAndPlay.

That is inflated because you are in NYC. In Cali that going rate for a flash only programmer is 32k.

Of coarse working for a company means benefits and other perks.

Then again if you work for yourself - allowing firms like aquent and headhunters to place you at 2-4 month intervals - you can increase your rate. One can easily make 40k to 80k/yr. Of course you have to pay for your own insurance....and you can hide in the bathroom when a client calls.

: )

Joe

Arckid - Curving the Web

hi all

its okay but what you people thinks about getting outside work as freelancer from india ?

thx for reply in advance!

aashu

See Above

Re: Pucker up.

you can expect to make 40k if you can get along well with others and have things to offer besides gotoAndPlay.

Then again if you work for yourself - allowing firms like aquent and headhunters to place you at 2-4 month intervals - you can increase your rate.
    . . . . hey Joe (heh...), where are you from? also - i'm familiar with aquent, but can your recommend any other means of doing what you're proposing? i'd really appreciate the advice, if you have the time to respond.

tanx|pal|www.dumb-dumb.com

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

goto and Play..

Thats ALL me, right there.
    Now pay me.

Originally posted by Geoff Edwards
    Ahh yes I remember as someone once told me:

I remember being in my 20s
    You remember your twenty's? Wow mine are a blur. I hit my forty's as well and have the best of both worlds. I run my own design company (one man) but am also contracted out to a large web company. I get a monthly salary there and also get clients from them that they don't want to waste their time billing (under $5000.00 jobs) I am very happy and life is good. I like the security of the monthly salary and I like that I can be in charge of how much I want to work in a month and that will reflect on how much I make. The other good thing about this is that I work from my house and get to spend as much time with my son as I want (he is 9 and a wiz at Flash already)

FlashKit Joker
    If you can work for 50 weeks, 6 days a week, 8 hours a day and you do your job well, you can afford to buy a nice home and drive a BMW 323i.

(if you have a girlfriend: you can rent a house and drive a mountainbike)

Cheers