A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: creating a flash website that needs to generate member profiles

I am creating a flash dedicated website and i need a part of it to create a member profile or portfolio using a template that i have created that contains a finite size and number of pictures and sounds, bio information: all of this the member can edit at any time by simply logging in. Does anyone know how to do this?Or part of this??

Yes, this can be done, but your client had better have big $$$$ because you have to have flash forms submit to database pages which in turn need to return swf movies that hold the member information.

You will need to utilize the following technologies:

1. Flash and lots of ActionScript.
    2. A server-side language like php, asp, perl, etc.
    3. A database such as mysql, SQLServer, Access, etc.

Although there are workarounds, you will probably want to use something like Swift Generator ( available at http://www.swift-tools.com ) to create the dynamic flash movies.

I have flash5 but i dont know very much about the ActionScript. I know I need MSaccess for the passwords and text information...I dont know any server side languages...i heard Perl is a good one. Can you tell me how I can do this or where i can get a tutorial on it or a book or something so I can do this....how much money are we talking here?...thanks

Ambassador of Style

Generator.

Generator is an option too.

Heheheheh. I've was the lead designer for the UI and graphics on a project just like you're mentioning.

Good luck!

-A02

Perl is good if your server is Unix. I wouldn't personally recommend that you start with perl. It is a rather cumbersome language for what you want to do. If you have a Microsoft server, I would recommend starting to learn ASP. My favorite beginning ASP book is "Beginning ASP" from Wrox Press. It gets all the way into basic database access. You will also want at least a starter guide to the SQL language. I tell most of my students that want to get started to buy Sam's "Learn SQL in 24 hrs". This is actually a GREAT SQL reference for everyday work.

Agent 02 recommended using Macromedia Generator. Generator is certainly able to handle this task, but it costs $$$$$. Swift Generator will do this job well.

Ambassador of Style

Yup.

Generator is not for the light-walleted! It used to be the only serious solution before F5. If I were to redo something like that again - I'd be using a lot of XML, but that's just me...

-A02

It's very possible, but not if you don't know much AS or backend stuff.

Generator is a red herring, no real use in this situation, much easier to do the interactive data manipulation at the client end.

Sounds like you are going to have to find a good backend programmer, who can store/retrieve the data records for you. Also you will find that 80% of the work you have to do will only be visible to the client, because the 'editing' environment is often the most complicated bit in these situations. Data display is amazingly easy in comparison.

For an example of the kind of thing I think you are talking about (but on a much larger scale!!) take a look at the last project i worked on ... http://www.moonfruit.com (which is in fact in Flash 4, no generator **wish we had Flash 5 when we started that one!!**)

thanks ill take these suggestions and give it a shot...my server is unix based so this is a good thing? the actual website Im working on is called howboutthis.com but i havent put anything on there yet. Does anyone know about how long it will take me to actually get this thing finished? Im the only one working on it right now and i think i will be the only one working on it until i raise enough capital to hire others to work for me. Maybe since its only me working on it right now i should use the swift generator...thanks