A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is SWIFT 3D the one to buy ?

Hi gang.....Im about to purchase swift3d but before i shell out i wanted to ask the ppl here if i was makin the right choice...Is swift the one to go with if im all about flash ?......It seems like it is...The price seems right to..Anywho comments would be appreciated

Do you have a 3D modeling software ?

Like Max, Maya or anything ? CUz then it's good. YOu model your scene in Max (or the like), save it as .3ds, import to Swift and then you render it.

But, if you don't have anything to model with, you might not be happy with swift. It's a real pain to create anything.

First of all, it's hard to use by itself. There's only one perspective, and it's somehow over-sensitive. Hard to work with.
    Then, there's only text. If you want to create a cube, you have to take the windings-font-detour.

In that case I'd suggest Amorphium Pro. It's really good as a "starter kit", for people who don't have a lot of money but want to do 3D and flash too.
    (it doesn't only do flash export, there's avi, mov, ani-gif etc.)

But if you have max, get Illustrate. Haven't tried it, but from what I've seen on their website, it's really good. And because it's a plugin, it's easy to work with.

I hope I didn't confuse you

brgds,
    Daniel

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

If you have MAX, save your money for a couple months, then get the Swift3D-MAX plug-in. I'm beta testing it for MAX 4 and comparing its .SWF rendering capability to Illustrate! is like comparing the NFL to high-school football.

The most common perception problem with Illustrate! is mistaking its toon rendering to a bitmap file format (which is superb) with its rendering to .SWF format. If you want to create toon-rendered bitmaps for film and broadcast video, then Illustrate! is the way to go. If you want to create .SWF files for Flash presentations, hold off for a little while and wait for the Swift3D-Max plug-in.

hth

FlashKit ShapeShifter

Amorphium is the best!

Hey

im just a starter in 3D and from the amorphium pro trial i got last week, i think its cool. its really easy to use and u can get it to export to loads of other formats too. u should try it out first before u buy swift. ive never used swift, but i think amorphium is cool
    [Edited by ammaar on 05-25-2001 at 10:43 AM]

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

For combined modeling and .SWF export, Amorphium seems to have a pretty good deal going. You can check out the Amorphium Pro forum at popedeflash.com.

have fun

ick

ok, ive downloaded and tried amorphium twice now and frankly, it sucks!

lots of people like it because you can do all your animations straight in amorphium, create objects and so on... but it only has 1 (just one) view of a 3D scene

and you cant change it from all my effort in finding tools

its hard to use, complicated interface, its ugly, and swift3d2 will have better animation tools in theory, and its simple.

swift3d is the one to get

and for all you amorphium users out there, more power to you, but how do you use that program???

[Edited by theMatrix on 05-26-2001 at 09:24 AM]

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

I've never looked at Amorphium, so all I can suggest is checking out the Amorphium Pro board at popedeflash.com . That might shed some light on your issues.

good luck!

views

There are some buttons at the bottome left of the screen. One is called "Window" and it let's you have one, two or 4 different camera windows.

THe only thing I can say against AmoPro is that it doesn't render that nicely. BUt It's a lot easier to model than Swift. I wouldn't get the Standalone Swift version, because it's simply too awkward to use.

But, since there's more than one tool, you're all free to use whatever you want

I just wanted to mention the advantages of AmoPro, that's for the beginner and low-budget artist.

Not everyone can afford Max and a plugin, and I definately discourage anyone from trying to model in Swift.

And that's all that I have to say to that !

Re: views

Swift 3d isnt a bad choice at all if you want 3d animation. I use Vecta3d™ for my 3d animating. Vecta imports DFX, .3ds, and Illistrator versions 4 and below. It works good because you can export flash as Illistrator 3 and import it into flash. Then you can extrude it to make any object 3d.

Amorphium Pro renders nicely from what I've seen, but it's modeling/animation is no doubt the strong point. I think it really comes down to what you'll use the programs for.

It looks like Electric Image posted a comparison chart on their web page http://www.amorphium.com. Does anyone know if this is Swift they're comparing to? What's the other program? Strata?