A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: IMPORT PROBLEMS

I've had Swift 3D for awhile now, but didn't realize its full capability until I checked out the Swift 3D Gallery section just today. Well, I got way excited seeing that you could create objects in Illustrator, then import them into Swift, and make them 3D and animate them.

So I tried a simple test with no luck. I created the simplest form in illustrator -- a filled circle with a 3 point stroke.

When I try to import this into Swift I keep getting an error message: An error occurred, etc....This is commonly caused by trying to import an object with no outline, or no fill, etc....Try editing and include outline and fill.

Well, the object has outline and fill, and I tried every conceivable variation and modification, including exporting as .ai and .eps. For some reason, I'm not able to import even the simplest thing into Swift.

Is there something I'm missing, some little trick I need to know? What could the problem possibly be?

All suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks very much, Metrov

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Try creating it as a flat filled object and save it out as an eps and ai file. You can do it from flash. Give it a try if you have any problems let me know. Regards, Bill

Hey Metrov,
    The first thing that comes to my mind is that you may be saving as Illustrator 9. If this is the case, you need to save as 8.0 or earlier. This message was part of the program before Illustrator 9 came out and will be shown if an AI 9 file is imported. We will have a new build out very shortly that will import AI 9.
    If that is not the problem, you should next look at which build you are using and get build 022 from the customer only website if you do not already have it. You can find your build number under the help menu / about Swift 3D. The customer only site is also accessed through this menu.
    Finally, if you are using the trial version that was put out, it had a bug that would not allow you to bring in objects with fills and outlines.
    I just tried importing exactly what you did (a filled circle with 3 pt outline) and had no problem with build 022.
    Let me know if this helps .

I updated to Build 22, and now I can import my .ai and .eps files. I'm looking forward to the continued growth of Swift. I believe someday it will be a totally awesome program. It's already well on it's way. I'm especially looking forward to wireframe images that show the backside. Really hope that comes out in the next version. Thanks very much. Metrov