A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] possibility

I'm Buff

possibility of curing cancer with your computer

hey,
    i'm sure you all know about the power of distrubited computing, no doubt we've all heard of Seti@home well i found another one but it has a really practical purpose - cure cancer! it looks really cool - you see the computer working in a graphical way, and there's prizes to be won. There's a message board, teams and best of all it is all for a good cause - cure cancer. Also, profits from advertising go to the Starlight Childrens Foundation. This is a very worthy project to run on your computer, at the least read up on it caus there's so many good things about this. It never interferes with your work as it is run at low priority, so it only uses up SPARE resources, you won't notice it's running. The project is supported by INTEL and OXFORD UNIVERSITY and THE NATIONAL FOUNDATION FOR CANCER RESEARCH

Here is a screenshot of the program

[Edited by hobbi on 05-28-2001 at 10:24 PM]

I'm Buff
    ok there's a TEAM FLASHKIT NOW! so let's all sign up and show the power of flashkit yeah. Sorry for usin the name, Mark i'll remove it if ya want but it's for a good cause

This is the flashkit page http://members.ud.com/services/teams...D-A4466212D5EA sign up and show how powerful we all are!!!

thanks for the link!i just joined and i hope others will too.

it's for a good cause, and it's really important to me because one of my aunts and two of my uncles died of cancer, and now my godmother just found out she has it too. doctor's giving her a year.

I'm Buff
    yeah it's a great cause, and it's fun too - there's competitions etc hope every1 signs up! My grandma didn't make it through cancer, and my uncle now has it. I'm sure we all have some experience with cancer so let's work 2gether and stop it (i know that sounds soppy hehe ) Don't forget to join team flashkit

I'm Buff
    cool, there's two on the team now, anyone else?
    currently our description/motto is:
    TEAM FLASHKIT YEAH!!!

any suggestions will be good

I'm Buff
    Anyone else interested??

I'm only interested in suggesting that verbage be changed to say, "Contribute to the possibility of a cure for Cancer."

You know, because we don't know that it will ever be cured. Having your computer solve calculations for that group is definatly not a "cure." It may lead to a cure.

I'm very sympathetic to those with cancer, I watched a Grandfather die from lung cancer, one of my best friends dad died about a year ago of cancer, and it's been important for me to help her out through some hard times.
    Cancer is a terrible thing, I really hope and pray that someday there is a cure. I'm scared myself often about skin cancer, liver cancer, etc. because it seems like anyone can get it no matter how healthy they are.

So, all I'm really trying to say is that I support what you're doing, but it seems more correct to say "Contribute to the possibility of a cure," because there's always a chance we'll never see one. Not being a pessimist, but that's just how the world is sometimes. I mean, I trust in medical science and in the people doing all this research that they're putting their life into finding a cure that will lead to less people losing their life from the disease. I hope that one day, they find a cure, and it seems so simple to them because they've learned so much-they stand back and think, "How did we not figure this out before?"

Good Luck with it,

mg33

I'm Buff
    yeah that's true, prob could have rephrased it better. got caught up in all the excitement hehe. got 3 Flashkit members signed up so far. spose it's more than likely they won't find a cure, but it is an opportunity that takes very little effort, download the client and it runs on your unused CPU time. Big names involved so there would be a significant chance - Intel, Oxford University.

I'll rephrase the subject

hobbi

I'm Buff
    ok that didn't work, don't know how to change the subject of the thread if there is a way. Besides this has more impact, and i'm sure most people would realise that this is simply a possibility, all scientific research for cure of a disease isn't done without the risk they will find nothing. Especially with a problem as big with cancer, but at least by doing this, there will be one of 2 positive outcomes.
    • [1] A cure is found
      [2] No cure found, but this method can be ruled out and another method adopted as we get closer and closer to a cure

apoligies if i upset anyone if i hinted that this will definately lead to a cure
    cheers

it's too bad nobody else seems interested: we're only 3 on the team. how disappointing...

and i hadn't realised what a crappy computer i have, my performance level is a tiny 26. it's taking forever to finish one molecule! oh well, every bit helps

hobbi,

I changed it for you. Gotta have special powers to do that.

Take Care,

mg33

I'm Buff
    hey i want some of those powers :P

"Don't worry, you didn't see me"

Sorry, you can't have those types of powers.
    Those are the powers of the Great and Mighty Mods!

FK Hardware Freak
    Emperor of Invincible Sand Castles

srry, got 4 computers, 2 with the net. One is running SETI, and this one overheats. I would love to join, because my grandmother also died of cancer. But i just cant.

Forget that, gunna find a way and join by monday!
    [Edited by Trakker on 06-02-2001 at 02:30 PM]

I'm Buff
    ar well at least we have a team and have members one day i mite get the powers of a mod, what is so great and mighty bout em? mods suck! hehe not jealous!

there's plenty of room if anyone else wants to sign up, and ya can quit anytime with the click of a button

Hope this works..... You know there is also a breakthrough on a cure for HIV with is also pleasing.

em...stupid question but how to i join.

I'm Buff
    to join, go here and download the program and then if you like, you can join Team Flashkit

As mentioned earlier, there's prizes including computer packages, flights, cash, and others. Also, this project also helps out the starlight childrens foundation - an organisation that grants wishes to kids who are terminally ill.

not a stupid question! i could've explained it better

O.K...I joined lets see what i can do.

I'm Buff
    it's on! someone already has finished one work unit and has 40 points - putting TEAM FLASHKIT up to 40 points keep signing up!