A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is this a bug? Or am I being stupid?

Ok, I'm trying to duplicate a movie clip. I'm doing the same thing I've done a million times, but this time it doesn't seem to work...

Duplicate Movie Clip ("/WindowTemp", "BrowserWindow" & masterindex, masterindex)
    Set Property ("/WindowTemp", Y Position) = GetProperty ( "WindowTemp", _y ) +100

in this instance, MasterIndex is a variable that is incremented by one each time this code is run.

If I make a test Movie Clip with an instance name of "WindowTemp", it works properly, but when I try to do this on what I really want it to work on, it doesn't. The Clip I'm trying to make it work on is somewhat complex, with about 5 Clips embedded into it, so is that causing me problems?

AAAARGH!!

I hate it when things don't work and I don't know if it's my problem or the softwares...

Anyone? Help? Please?

Senior Moderator
    If you are trying to set the y co-ordinates of the duplicated movieclip then use:

Duplicate Movie Clip ("/WindowTemp", "BrowserWindow" & masterindex, masterindex)
    Set Property ("/BrowserWindow" & masterindex, Y Position) = GetProperty ("/BrowserWindow" & masterindex, _y ) +100

If not explain more clearly

Originally posted by FlashGuru
    If you are trying to set the y co-ordinates of the duplicated movieclip then use:

Set Property ("/BrowserWindow" & masterindex, Y Position) = GetProperty ("/BrowserWindow" & masterindex, _y ) +100

If not explain more clearly
    No, I'm trying to move the original movie clip, which works just fine. What doesn't work is the duplication of the clip. Mostly the moving of the clip is just something that I've done to get it out of the way so that I can tell if the clip has been duplicated. Which it doesn't do.

Really, the only code that doesn't work is:

please?

Senior Moderator
    where is the variable "masterindex" set??

Originally posted by FlashGuru
    where is the variable "masterindex" set??
    a few lines above that. Basically it increments by one every time the code runs. I've set a text field to "masterindex" in the movie, so I know it's incrementing properly.