A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: message board

can anyone give me some advice on setting up a message board like the one here? do i need to hire a programer or can i do it myself?

thanks
    del

Tough question.... what is your experience with setting up CGI scripts and/or php?
    My guess is that you could do it yourself if you have a basic understanding of how it all works. A wonderful system that is very similar to what you see here is called ikonboard. you can find it here http://www.ikonboard.com/ if you can follow directions closely, you shouldn't have much hassle.

Well as Jabez says - its a difficult one to call!

A board like this one (vBulletin by Jelsoft) I think sets you back $150 for the files, but yeou need to have a server that will support mySQL ODBC Databases, and PHP3. So obviouly this wont work on your bog standard GeoCities server!
    Ikonboard is different - personally I hate it with a passion - I think it looks ugly and is too unprofesional!

But you will find that that is based on .pl files (PERL that runs in your CGI-BIN) and takes about 20meg of sapce.

TBPH I wouldnt use a Forum System unless its really gonna add value to your site - because it seems thsat everyone is rushing out to have a message board system.