A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: wrap image around globe

i am trying to make a spinning globe - very similar to this:

http://www.adinet.net/Globe_HTML/fra...giglobe_sm.htm

does anyone know if you can wrap an image (say the world map) around a wireframe globe?

as best i cal tell, it seems as if i would have to break the image up into quadrants and then individually place the images at thier appropriate angles... but i really want i to be smooth....

any suggestions?

=]

reply...sort of...

It depends on what 3d app you are using to create the globe in the first place. It does not appear to me that Swift can do this on its own. If you are using something like 3D Studio Max, then i believe you can create a texture that will create this effect for you. You use masks to do it. I cant tell you exactly how to do it, but i can give a rough idea...
    You need your image to be something like an alpha image of a earth map texture... something that will wrap around the sphere. Then in the material editor you have to set that material up as a mask... this should allow the wireframe of the sphere to be seen where the seas are on the map, and the land masses should become solid... by drawing the wireframe around the edges of the map and filling in between them
    A better source for this can be found at http://www.3dcafe.com search the tutorial section, they also have a nice flash tutorial section. I hope this helps you some, even though i know i didnt really answer your question. Good luck

Re: reply...sort of...

thanks for the feedback.... i'm am trying to do it in swift because of the vector factor... but i have not yet found a way to do so....

the other alternatives i have are cinema 4D XL and bryce 4... i am not really that familar with either of these, so if you know of a way to do it in either of those - that would be great. i think you're on the right track with the alpha channel thing...

problem is, the client wants to see it by tomorrow afternoon... OY!

this is a lesson for all us designers.... be careful what you promise......

thanks again.

Well, as far as i know, bryce cant do it.... BUT the Deep Texture Editor (DTE) is VERY powerful. So it might, i dont know that much about it either, and i know nothing about cinema4D. But, since you are in a pinch, i will do some looking for you and post back within a few hours. I work nights, so bear with me LOL. I will even try to throw something together for you in Max if i can find what im looking for. I have the maps you need so if it all works out, i may post back here with an i-drive account that you can download something to show your client. Just tell them you ran into unexpected problems haha! If im right, it wont take but a short amont of time to do this in max, so i dont mind hooking you up. i can export to almost any format you want, but if i can do it, it will be on i-drive in an avi format... Later

Smile

kick ass!

i think since it wont ever become vector... it'll just have to be an animated gif...

i will be your love slave if you make it work... alright maybe not slave... maybe just servant.... LOL

=]

Smile

Hey, servant sounds good to me LOL Well, it may not be exactly what you are looking for, but give the time i had to whip it out... I looked for something to give me a better idea of how to do this and found nothing, so i did it ad lib style. I took two spheres, one .5 units smaller than the other, put a regular bluish amterial on it, and turned wireframe on. The other was created with an opacity map of the earth that i turned into a black (for the seas) and white. Most likely not the best approach to this, but hey, it works! LOL One problem... it is only one sided. I can make it two sided (so you can see the back of the globe through the front) but i saw that when the front land masses passes over the back land masses, the front becomes a transparent wireframe as well. This might be to bad if you make it small enough to not be noticed, but its there. If you need any changes made, you may have to wait a day, i really need to sleep sometime. LOL
    Anyway... my I-drive accout is under
    user name: mekro

file is called earthspin.avi and is located in the shared folder. Just sign in with as a visitor, i think thats how that works... let me know how it goes and if you need something else done.

[Edited by Mechromancer on 06-04-2001 at 10:42 AM]

alright.... i may be a dumb ass but, where do i go to log in the user name and password?

=]

sorry about that...
    i knew i forgot something. Go to http://www.idrive.com
    enter mekro in the field for users... you wont need the password

ok -

i don't want to drag this out because you have been very generous to do as much as you have (thank you very much)......

however, when i download the file it wants to open in realplayer.... i have 8 and it says it's unable to render for lack of plug-in... checked real networks site and they don't have anything new....

do i need to open it in something else... like aftereffects or final cut?

again - thank you for the time you have already spent

btw: if there is anything that i can do for you in return for all the work you have done - let me know.... this is the kind of stuff i mostly do....

http://www.genuine-imitation.com/flyers/newflyers.html

=]

You'll need to open it in Windows Media Player... But I can upload to pretty much any format you need.

You do some really nice work! I really like your style There is only one thing i can think of that you could do for me in return. Im working on my own site right now in flash, and i would like your input, tips, any advise you could give, that sort of thing

Well, just let me know what format you would like that in if it wont open in windows media player. And like i said before... its nothing fancy since i dont know if its what you need or not, so if you need it changed or jazzed up some i can do it.

there is a way to do it in vector.

I used to hang out here all the time, but I have moved on to PopedeFlash.com now. the answer is to download contin~1.3ds from 3dcafe.com and then import to swift. once in swift, spin in 360 degrees and render it. (it is a good idea to make each continent a different color). import the swf into flash, and then darken all of the continents that would be in the "back". all of the front continents you should lighten. this is really simple, butmight take you around 30 minutes. If I can, I will try and do it for you and add a wireframe.

for future help, you can catch me on the swift board at http://www.popedeflash.com

Cool, Thanks Opie!
    I did a simple version of it myself in Max, but it's been a while since i have been using it. The last version i used on a regular basis was 1.5 and 2, a little of 2.5... so its been a few years lol. Im sure she would appreciate the help from someone who is better at this than me
    Hope to catch ya on the PopedeFlash Board! Take care!

Mechromancer....

lost the account.... oh well!

been outta town - what's the url for your test site?

thanks anyway for the help

=]