A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: scrolling text boxes

hello, not sure if im on the right forum for this, but here goes. i have a little bit of flash experience, but its purely on the movie side. i want to do more with the interactive side.

i have about a million questions, but what i realy want to do is create scrolling text boxes. i found a somewhat vague tutorial using one of flash 4s built in advanced buttons thats a scroll bar, but the tutorial doesnt break it down as to HOW it works, and i want to create my own buttons for this.

are there any good guides on the scripting features of flash that show practical applications of them?

Hack

Sasha,

I'm so very glad you asked! I built a little scrolling text box and submitted it to Flashkit a little while ago. It's in the movies section, under "actionscripts and variables."

Check it out. I'm going to make a little enhancement to it so that when you hold down a button, it keeps scrolling. But basically, it works.

Erlenmeyer

Hack

Sasha,

You may be referring to my scroll box movie in the "Actionscripts and Variables" portion of the movies section of FlashKit.

I hope this isn't illegal or anything, but there's a tutorial that goes with that movie on Flashlite.com, if you want to jump over there.

Erlenmeyer

yeah, thats the basic idea of what i want to do. i found this one last night after i did a bit of searching: http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/ you can see it under the scrolling text for click and hold.. or download the .fla file. and i tried that. theres almost no instruction, there certainly isnt a "read me" file to go with it. when i tried to copy and paste some of the scripts into a movie id been working on, it wouldnt work. i duplicated it as best i could. obviously theres something im missing, but without more instruction, i cant find it.

Hmm.. I'm not really sure what to suggest. There are any number of places where a little goof would impair the scrolling. One thing to be careful of however, is your paths. I assume you are trying to use the .scroll and .maxscroll properties of the text box variable? If so, make sure you are correctly targeting the correct text field variable name.

If I get a chance, I will try to write a complete Scrolling How To. But until then.. I also have 2 scrolling demo FLA files. I can send them to you if you want. They do not contain complete instructions, but they do contain a few notes, and just maybe they will be of some help. Let me know if you want them.

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000205.swf" quality=high WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=50 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>