A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .txt file syntax

does anyone know if there is a place that displays the syntaxt for .txt files,, I am trying to do some text formating on the .txt end before for the file gets imported and parsed by flash, specificly line breaks.,,

from the time i wrote this i have discovered that you can do the type of thing you want in word (ie a return) then open the file in note pad, not pad will show you what the acii code for a return looks like, you can then just copy paste that in and flash likes it and does what it is supposed to. thanks to all that replied so far though

[This message has been edited by nespodzany (edited 21 March 2000).]

Hack

Lightbulb

In my experience, line breaks in text files translate into flash just fine. Other editing features will not, however.

erlenmeyer

Lightbulb

Unfortunately, yes, spaces and line breaks are the extent of the formatting that you can do to the text in the text file. Even tabs will not work reliably.

However, even line breaks are not quite that simple.. read this thread at the help centre board: http://board.flashwave.co.uk/noncgi/...ML/000335.html

[This message has been edited by scottris (edited 21 March 2000).]

I've had mixed results with line breaks. To be safe, I encode them or just strip them out completely. The formatting for loading variables from a text files follows the rules for GET requests so you can encode special characters (e.g. %20 for a space)