dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Raster to Vector Graphics:Conversion Software

Operation Noble Eagle. 09.15.01
    Using gif,jpegs,bmp,etc.increases the size of the movie way too much.

Paint Shop Pro 7.0 doesn't convert gifs etc. to vector.Their help personal suggested using some of the shareware or freeware that does the conversion.

After a search on the web there are too many to choose.
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp...ter_to_Vector/

What do you recommend,or are using now.

I will be using some of my images full screen.

Thanks

Joseph

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    What I normally do in order to get smaller swf's is to patiently draw line per line! I know it takes ages, but that is the way i do it...

Ok,thats one way,thanks,but there has to be an easier way. Thanks for your help.

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    Yeah I wasn't of much help was I

Anywayz, hope someone informs you better... you might get + help in one of the help boards I guess...

regards,
    phooks

In Flash, you can use the "trace bitmap" tool to convert raster to vector.

Also, in Macromedia Freehand you can do a similar, yet more controlled conversion.

Perhaps the best tool for raster to vector conversion I have seen (I do not have it, though) is a tool by Adobe called Streamline. The program is solely intended for this purpose, and apparently does a superior job. (I say this only because that's the way it was described to me. )

Regards,

Jabez

Ok,got it.

Thanks to both,I will search out the Adobe 1st and see what I come up with.
    Thanks

Cool Re: Ok,got it.

a note on streamline...
    I use it all the time taking paper animation to flash.
    I assume we're talking about lines only in these bitmaps?
    Streamline won't help you at all if you have a rendered image. As for lines, streamline allows for either centerline or outline (which is basically 2 lines around a fill for preserving thich and thin). I've used the centerline tool for animating rugrat characters for a game
    and I found that it oversimplifies quite a bit. Round lines become polygonal. This requires a lot of fixing under magnifying glass in flash. Sometimes it's a toss up between streamlining with fixing or tracing the bitmap by hand in flash. I like using the line tool for laying down a quick line and bending it to match the bitmap.
    The outline tool is much more accurate and is great if you feel your bitmap line is exactly what you want. However, tweaking 2 lines around a shape in Flash is annoying.

Hope some of that rambling helps. I'm always looking for a better way to do this stuff.

I've just finished working on 3 projects for a company, where i faced this exact problem. I had over 100 screen shots to prepare for an online tutorial type thing. I tried using streamline, and honestly the outcome was less than acceptable. maybe cause all the little details come out really jumbled. anyways, i just ended up tracing them all in illustrator. what a job that was! still it was worth it when it was all done. just be patient with it

I'm inclined to agree with the last statement - most of my experiences with raster-vector programs, particularly Flash's trace bitmap and Streamline (which gives you more options, but is essentially the same thing) have been bad. The pickup is either too sensitive, making bloated files which look ugly when resized, or images that "look like they were made in Flash", in other words, jagged, polygonal, over-optimized images that do not look like the source.

Your best bet is to find some sort of auto-trace/hand trace combination or hand trace everything, particularly if you plan on making the images larger.

Wink raster to vector conversion

one tool you haven't mentioned is xaos "segmation".
    it's a photoshop plug-in. I think it gives the most control
    over final trace. But I have to take it from photoshop & export to illustrator, then I clean it up & optimize in Flash.
    I just wish I could figure out a way to run a batch process.
    There HAS to be a way.
    I'm not concerned about final file size, as my present experiments are streamed & not downloaded. Any ideas?? Segmation plug-in crashes in video apps. Macro tool??? I dunno ...you guys are the experts.
    I'd appreciate any advice. (besides "keep doing it frame by frame").
    help??? Thanks _Kurt

k@thepixelpusher.net

use Adobe Streamline - it's perfect for the job, and i rekon it's one of the best (also it's not that expensive either ) >> i've got a tutorial about this at my site which you can take a look at if you want more info
    http://www.flash-group.com/board/sho...5&threadid=244

hth buddy

best regards + good luck,
    jeev :: flash-group // new media development
    operator@flash-i.com