A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMALL FONTS IN FLASH LOOK LIKE ****

Thumbs down

Wh do wmall fonts look so blury in flash and how can I get font to look sharp in flash? Take a look at http://www.axis360.com

What is the fony they are using and where can I get it?

I need desperatly help with this one,

Thanks

Smile Go here for the font

You can get those fonts at http://www.miniml.com =0)

ohmigod, this forums been here how long? this question's been asked how many times?

if your talking about the loading text i think it might me jh titles or maybe hiscore, which i think both are in the font section.

and i agree with squink, there needs to be a GO TO MINIML.COM BEFORE YOU POST HERE announcement hahaha! but this is good for retarted newbies like me to get their posts up by just typing miniml.com

anyway you asked how to get em crisp and clear, well you see its very hard. If you use a font that most people have, like vernada, or (heaven forbid) times new roman, then highlight you text, and under text options, choose 'use device fonts'. this will actually use the fonts that are stored on the computer of the person thats veiwing it. thats easy. but if you want to use miniml fonts its a little harder. i just experimented around with it today, trying to get them to look antialiased. read the readme that comes with the miniml font. then you have to mess around with the spacing in flash and keep testing it to see if its clear or not. what i did was i went 800%, selected the text, and used the up, down, and side arrow keys to move the text. then i tested the movie to see if it looked good. i kept doing this and moving around the text until i got it to look decent. this takes a long time, especially since i'm new to it. but if you do it right, hooge or whatever you use CAN look crisp and clear in flash.

later dude

Couple of things to think about:
    *break the type apart.
    *test in Flashplayer and not in Flash!!!
    *go into the info panel and position the type on whole pixels (x=54 y=34 not x=54.3 y=34.5}.
    *The font hoogle will work best at pointsizes multiples of 8!!

But I still don't trust that, so in my projects I use Gif's of the type. Oddly enough, this brings down my filesize as well, so much for vectors.....

You guys are testing everything on YOUR OWN PC'S and that's why its seems to work but it dose not work on other pc's without the "minimal.com text installed. And that is the major problem I have. Things look sweet on my pc but when I go the a stupid Mac things don't look as sweet anymore. Even though I am not using system fonts. And if I brake it apart it gets blurry especially if the text is nested in several mc's.

SMALL TEXT IN FLASH 5 IS NOT POSSIBLE . Unless you don't mind jamming up your file size by creating all the text in Photoshop as a gif. In my case I do not wish to increase file size with text.

If one of you font freaks find out something please let me now

Stephan

Actually, by creating gif's you're reducing filesize. A five letter word, broken apart into vectors is larger in size than a gif version! check this out and see for yourself that small type can work in Photoshop, and I don't even use a pixelfont!
    http://lennon.csufresno.edu/~sl328/l...e/cie_new.html
    the type in the menu is a all gifs! I had it all in vectors at first and the file was over 70K, now it's like 55K. And you can have transparent gifs to put your type on whatever background you want.

Originally posted by smaloman

SMALL TEXT IN FLASH 5 IS NOT POSSIBLE
    Stephan

ummm...www.squinkinc.com

ummm...i don't think so.

miniml.com fonts DO work, ask some mac users round here who use it themselves....8minus8?

anyhoo, it is quite possible.

omg squink your fonts are clear as uhh... something really clear. give us some tips on font crispness for all the retards like me that cant do anything cool. PLEEEEEEAAASEEEEE??

SMALL FONTS

Originally posted by flipsideguy
    Actually, by creating gif's you're reducing filesize. A five letter word, broken apart into vectors is larger in size than a gif version! check this out and see for yourself that small type can work in Photoshop, and I don't even use a pixelfont!
    http://lennon.csufresno.edu/~sl328/l...e/cie_new.html
    the type in the menu is a all gifs! I had it all in vectors at first and the file was over 70K, now it's like 55K. And you can have transparent gifs to put your type on whatever background you want.

This is a beautiful example you gave me but I cant make gift out of all my text I want to use on my site. I have blocks of text that needs to be updated daily and some of it is dynamic. There MUST be some way to be able to embed those fonts from miniml.com on the fly and look on all pc the same.

Dont you think?

Originally posted by perfectthursday
    omg squink your fonts are clear as uhh... something really clear. give us some tips on font crispness for all the retards like me that cant do anything cool. PLEEEEEEAAASEEEEE??
    well for that site I cheated, the flash file is low quality.

but for other stuff I just use http://www.miniml.com or system fonts.

Are you using a pixelfont for body copy? (I knew I should have added this to the Web Design no no's Thread a couple of weeks ago.) Why don't you just use Verdana, or good old Arial at size 10? If you set your textfield to dynamic, multiline, and turn on textwrap, you got yourself a nice bodytext that is small and is not pixelated when viewed on other machines. But I know _sans causes problems on some machines. Especially Mac's and Netscape.

where do i find text options so i can set it to device fonts

okay roopi, type your text, highligt it, then click the little 'a' in the right hand corner of the screen. then go to the 3rd tab called 'text options' and check mark use device fonts.

later dude.

i'm using flash 4 are you refering to 5.

alright i got it figured out. thanks for your help

wait! stop!

that method only works with font's that are installed on others computers!

if u use a font that a viewer doesn't have, it will just turn it into the default font.

flipsideguy- what's a body copy?? and was that post for me, or for smaloman? i'm confused.

well i'm using the 'times new roman' font. doesn't pretty much every computer have this font installed. i realize every comp won't but chances are most will right???

oh ok, yeah then that's fine...but if you want to use a less common font, I wouldn't recommend that method.

if you jus tneed something simple than using the _serif font method would be easier, you don't have to change anything..it works fine. but it's up to you!

Originally posted by squink
    flipsideguy- what's a body copy?? and was that post for me, or for smaloman? i'm confused.
    Body copy: A block of text! I wan't addressing you Squink. I'm just referring to smaloman. I think he is using a pixel font for blocks of dynamic text. And I was just joking.