A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help! I need to know how to chmod the files in the guestbook!

The Phattest Bwoy at Flashkit
    Can someone please tell me how to chmod the files in
    the guestbook. I am desperate!!!

I posted an earlier topic asking the same thing and someone led me to this site.

http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/beyo....html#section4

Frankly it didn't help me too much but maybe you'll have better luck understanding it.

If it is possible with your hosting service use ws_ftp LE to upload the files and from there you can chmod your files to whatever you want.

Cute ftp is great for setting file permissions just right click the file or directory choose chmod and a window pops up that explains what each one means. Change the permissions and test it out in your browser to see what each one does.

FK Bored Crew
    Originally posted by DarkMastyr
    I posted an earlier topic asking the same thing and someone led me to this site.

http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/beyo....html#section4

Frankly it didn't help me too much but maybe you'll have better luck understanding it.
    That was me...if you didn't understand it, I wish you would have said so....I would have been happy to help further. Sometimes the first step is the hardest one to take

CHMOD is CHange MODe....when you ftp a file to your server, you have certain "permissions" set...like whether or not someone else can read that file, write to that file, upload another file to your server, etc.

When you send your guestbook (place it on the server) via ftp, the server will, by default, give it "Read Only" permission. That means someone can view your file, but not do anything with it/to it.

Since you are using a guestbook, it needs to have permissions set so that a viewer can enter certain information, and the database can be updated. Otherwise, you'd just get an email and would have to update your guestbook manually, by editing the html. And that would suck.

So by CHMOD-ing, you tell the server "Hey, let people write their comments, and automagically update the database" when I viewer submits an entry. Essentially, you're turning the script on and allowing viewers to write to the database.

When you CHMOD, you are simply changing the default permissions allowed by your server. Most guestbook apps will use chmod 755, the 755 is a number which tells the server "allow these certain permissions", mostly associated with cgi scripts.

Cute-ftp is a great program and simplifies this process. I use telnet to make my chmod's (changes) but only because until about a month ago I didn't realize cute-ftp did that stuff.

Anyways, hope this helps clear the air

-fishee

Smile

Hey thanks fishee. I think I finally understand what chmod is. Maybe now I can get off my lazy butt and install that guestbook onto my website, heh. :-)