dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: lots of hard drive noise

Okay, this post comes from over in General Help. I was told it'd be better to post it here, so that's what I'm doing. Keep in mind, I have no idea really what "Standalone" means....but here's what I'm trying to do....suggestions?
    -------------------------
    Does anyone know of something I can do from inside Flash that would cause the HD to start writing lots of stuff? Like, I want to trick someone into thinking that my movie is installing something onto their computer....so I'd like to add the HD noise to the effect somehow....is there a Javascript that'll write a large file into a cookie, then delete it or something? Not sure if this is possible at all...at least, I don't have any idea how to do it.

What this forum is about is distrubuting flash as a Application not in a web page.. provided that is what you want to do..

It may be possible to do what you want through a web page with javascript or with java.. but I don't have knowledge of that..

Your best bet if your going to distribute this program on cdrom or through alternative means would then be to open a program that thrashes the hard drive (that or write your own program) I would suggest doing this by opening up scandisk or defrag (probally scandisk because it would take less time to execute) and the way it may stay hidden from your users is if you ran your flash animation in Full Screen (a feature of the flash appliction movies)

You would want to open scandisk like this from FS Command Exec c:\windows\scandskw.exe /allfixeddisks /noninteractive /silent

These settings would tell Scandisk to do all fixed disks and run the scan and then quit when done with no prompting.. (the settings above would require several special spaces in flash.. see this thread about info on that http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...?threadid=6974 )

The command line above would only work on the following Windows Operating Systems: 95/98/ME

If you wanted to run this same operation through a HTML web page it is possible but not user friendly basically you'd have to aquire a ActiveX control and they'd have to click yes to install it and then it would work..

See here about more info on ActiveX controls.. http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=15046
    [Edited by The Master on 08-11-2000 at 01:32 PM]

I had originally wanted to distribute it on the web, but now that I think about it it actually makes more sense to distribute it as a .exe of some kind. What extra program do I need to make a .exe out of my Flash files?

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    The projector is part of the publish setting or you can make one just by opening the swf file on your desktop and going to the file menu and select create projector. Regards, Bill

Alright, I've got everything inside of the Flash working....(I think), but how do I change the icon of the .exe?

Thanks.