A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: here's a v.5 challenge

okay, i have two swf's.... index.swf & back.swf. i'm loading the back.swf into a target in my index movie. i can get a button in the index.swf to control movement in the back.swf but not movement in both the back.swf AND the index.swf at the same time. i've tried using the 'GoTo' & 'Tell Target' in the same 'onmouse release'. is this going about it the wrong way? any help would be most appreciated

you need to tell both to stop at once. let's say you index.swf is _level0 and back.swf is _level1.

if your button is in back.swf just go

on (release){
    stop();
    _root.stop();
    }

substitute "_root." for _levelX or other target as needed.
    It just sounds like you're only telling one of your movies to stop...is this right?

oop... sorry, i guess my explanation is kinda bad. okay, the index is the main clip. it is loading back into a target movieclip. on mouse release i need the index to goto frame 2 and the loaded clip to goto and play frame 2. basically what is happening is the background houses my 'bitmaps' and the index is the main interface... so i'm loading the bitmaps separately to make the 'project' somewhat friendly to 56k'ers. by the way, thanks for the reply... 8 minutes after i posted :-)

Maybe I don't have a very good idea of what's going on yet, but it seems like you're just having a problem with targeting. Whether certain clips need to gotoAndStop or gotoAndPlay doesn't seem like the root of the problem here...
    if your button is in index.swf it seems like you should be able to say:

on (release){
    gotoAndStop(2);
    this.tartget_movieclip.gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

this doesn't work?

Could you go in to a little more detail about the structure of your movie?

[CODE]on (release) {
    gotoAndStop (2);
    tellTarget ("image") {
    gotoAndPlay ("movie");
    }
    }

and that works or not?

i'm stupid

man... you would probably kill me if you knew me... but right after i posted that last reply i found my problem... there was no frame in frame 2 for the 'back' clip timeline. i REALLY appreciate all your help though, thank you....
    what i ended up doing was tell target goto frame and in the middle of the transition use a telltarget from the movie clip to tell the main timeline where to go... once again thanks for helping.

no worries! getting it done is what matters!